BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 AM

Miles on Grease: 150,000
$ Estimated Saved: $40,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.006
Default WVO Designs and "pumps"

It seems that WVO Designs is leaving an impression with their customers via their emails or posts on other forums that some sort of a "partnership" has been formed to allow the creation of a compatible pump for the Vegistroke.

First, let me state without any misinterpretation: THERE ARE NO PARTNERSHIPS OR ARRANGEMENTS WITH WVO DESIGNS... (and frankly, SHAME on the owner for allowing any such rumors to persist, or to try to create a competing product by fooling anyone in the process... if you're going to try to skirt the trademark "Vegistroke", you could at least do it in a less obvious fashion than just spelling the name wrong).

While I have stated before that the FASS pump motors have presented their own set of challenges, "WVO Designs" seems to be taking the "quickest way to market" approach to make a buck.

I know for a fact (of which Clay can give a quiet nod) that it was only two weeks ago that WVO Designs even was able to verify that their pump head fit the manifold... and that it hasn't even been test-fired let alone have any bench time or road-test time on it. This basically means that anyone who is purchasing a WVO Designs pump is essentially a "beta tester" using their own money.

There's no doubt that the FASS pump issue has been challenging... and for the past several months I have been committing myself to finding a good pump solution for everyone. (Without beating a dead horse, you can read up on this stuff ON THIS THREAD).

This has involved using the already proven motor re-designed by Jason Crawford (the Type I pump) that has been ON THE ROAD for over a year, and combining it with our own pump head design that has integrated the adapter plate and the pump head with high-temperature seals. Beyond that, our design is USER REBUILD-ABLE... which means you will only have to buy our complete design ONCE.

I will once again state that my philosophy is to do it RIGHT with proper testing, not just throw a product out into the wild with some fingers crossed. If that means that I move just a little slower, so be it... it also means that when you get it in your hands, it will be RIGHT and it will make SENSE.

It is for this reason that posts regarding WVO Designs that wind up advertising their product on these forums are immediately put in the trash... they are a company that made centrifuges, and have now crossed over into being competitors. The moderators aren't being jerks by trashing these posts... they're protecting BFT by now allowing competitors to "side-advertise" their products on BFT's coat-tails/forums.

Thanks for your understanding... I'll get off my soap-box now.

Jay

*Quiet nod to the moderators for bringing this to my attention... you guys truly rock...
-VegiStroke V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Dodge Cummins - VEGIRAM
-Prototype V4 VegiRam - 40,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Caterpillar 3126E/C7 - VEGICAT
-Frankenstein-ized V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

1974 Human Wife
2002 Human Son

<Shameless plug>
Support BFT and these forums: purchase your bag and spin-on filters from our on-line store: BFT On-Line Store
</Shameless plug>

Last edited by WingNut; 02-04-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

Jay, I made this a sticky.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 100,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 4.5

Thanks for the clarification Jay. I received the same email that i'm sure others did offering the pump solution at an introductory quick one day sale. Most of us are here because we know that the V3 is the best vo product for our powerstrokes. It is the best product because of the amount of thought,testing, and engineering that goes into it. Buying a pump from a competitor is short sighted and i'm sure those that go that route will be disappointed. Alot of us are in this for the longhaul and look forward to the ongoing improvements to the pump. When it's time to change the pump, I like my odds alot better by staying with the company that built the system.

I'm not in the market for a new CF, but if i was, I would look at all the options after that stunt.
BFT Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

And I swear my post count is the same as a week ago.

Clay?

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 175,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
And I swear my post count is the same as a week ago.

Clay?
Not me....
Upgraded to V3 July 08 - Thanks Jason!
145k greasy miles

Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Gettin Greasy

$ Estimated Saved: $20k including boiler use
MacGyver Rating: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to greasyX

"there are four boxes used to protect your liberties, The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box". WVO designs should realize this and stay on there own porch, cause the V3 is the big dog and they can't run with it (probably never have the backbone to try either). There are cheap knock-offs for every quality product, we have found these things evident. I personally would black-ball the sum-bitch, and drop any and all reference to them on this website............greasy
2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Miles on Grease: 110000
MacGyver Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to muns53

FWIW (which is probably nothing), I'll throw in my $.02. I am a loyal DFA/BFT and WVO Designs customer and both companies have been very good to me whenever I've had questions/problems or placed orders. I read the notice as they were launching a new WVO-specific pump and that they also offered an adaptor that fit the V3. I don't know the history, but I didn't interpret it as a partnership. (Although I would have liked to seen a partnership develop - similar to how DFA and Frybrid partnered up.) As I see it, we're all in this WVO thing together and it's a very small community with the common goal of sticking it to big oil and doing something to burn a cleaner, more renewable fuel. The end.
ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Leon Griffin

Send a message via Skype™ to leongriffin

WVO Designs has never made any claims of a partnership with DFA, BFT or anyone else in regards to this pump. I have been working on the stand alone veggie pump for almost a year now. It is obvious that FASS pumps have their problems and I set out to solve them for my fellow veggie burners.

The V3 version is a very simple strip down of the stand alone pump. I have probably dedicated less than 8 hours design time to the whole project. The development work was with the standalone pump.

Furthermore. I contacted Jay directly over a month ago and spelled out what I was doing and offered it to him as an option to FASS. I don't know how I could have been more transparent.

In the end, everyone has the free will and ability to patronize any company they wish. I feel this very negative dialog does little to help the community or anyone's business.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 175,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Leon, did you ask jay his feelings about putting a picture of the v3 up on your website? Did you buy the V3 to photo it?
Upgraded to V3 July 08 - Thanks Jason!
145k greasy miles

Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 15000
$ Estimated Saved: $4000
MacGyver Rating: 9.5

Forgive me for sounding antagonistic, but I didn't see a V3 pictured anywhere on Leon's site. I am seriously considering his WVO pump for my truck if my Fass starts giving my problems. I jumped in to his initial order of centrifuge's and couldn't have been happier for what I got for the price paid.

Just the mounting aspect of Leon's WVO pump for DIY'ers would make me give up the Fass if it has problems. Plus the nice large square base would make for someone to easily make a DIY specific coolant heat exchanger to warm the pump head for those cold cold mornings.

Course my Fass is working well, and I don't have a V3, so what do I know anyway?
Closed Thread