BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 202,000
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: 6

I tried adjusting pressure regulator only to discover it was already maxed out. I'm hoping this means it is the culprit so I'm going to knock off early today and take it out and clean it. (any suggestions on best method. I'm likely to use purple power and soak it.) I changed filter and pre-screen so they're both good, but now the problem has grown to the point where the system won't even cut on. Whenever it reaches temp. it just reads low pressure on the oled.

2001 F-350 SRW 7.3 V3-SSB
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob651 View Post
purple power
I have found the best stuff to soak parts in in ZEP degreaser. Its sold at Lows and Home depot in a 1 gal. jug. Its concentrate so DO NOT get it on your hands. It will melt your skin (dont ask how I know). I use it in concentrate form to clean th worst dryed poly and I mix it in a spray bottle 50/50 with water to use as a general light purpose cleaner. It wont burn you when its mixed and makes an awesome hand cleaner.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Vegistroker

No joy. I soaked pressure regulator overnight, flushed it out this am, and lubed it with some WD-40 before install. The system actually came on this time and was reading 75 psi at the normal setting all the way over and 2 turns back. I know the pressure will come down some on a heavy accel, but should this occur at normal driving speeds? I would lose 6-12 psi driving around and it did not really rebound when I was sitting at idle. I left the truck running when I went into the store and system was still on when I returned sitting at 63 psi, but as soon as I started driving it cut off and read low pressure on oled. I haven't tried adjusting pr reg yet, but would assume that shouldn't be the issue at this point.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

How is your tank vent? Do you notice a vacuum sound when removing the cap? I'd probably check that, it sounds an awful lot like it is plugged and straining your system.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
No joy. I soaked pressure regulator overnight, flushed it out this am, and lubed it with some WD-40 before install. The system actually came on this time and was reading 75 psi at the normal setting all the way over and 2 turns back. I know the pressure will come down some on a heavy accel, but should this occur at normal driving speeds? I would lose 6-12 psi driving around and it did not really rebound when I was sitting at idle. I left the truck running when I went into the store and system was still on when I returned sitting at 63 psi, but as soon as I started driving it cut off and read low pressure on oled. I haven't tried adjusting pr reg yet, but would assume that shouldn't be the issue at this point.
I was having similar problems. I sent my pump (swapped pumps) to Jason Crawford. Hes going through mine while in the meantime, the pump he sent me corrected the problem.
I think the lower RPM of the scorpion design has a lot to do with this. I know its the reason you cant run straight diesel in the wvo tank. The scorpion simply cant maintain much pressure on the thinner fuel. The old DFA pump never had that problem.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Vegistroker

I have two vents that I'm constantly swapping, so it shouldn't be the issue. It usually does sound like there is some pressure releasing, but I believe that to just be from pressure change and temp. As far as the pump, I don't believe mine is a scorpion pump. I think its a FASS but there aren't any markings on the outside that I can see. Is there any way to tell? I bought it in April 2009 if that helps.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I have two vents that I'm constantly swapping, so it shouldn't be the issue. It usually does sound like there is some pressure releasing, but I believe that to just be from pressure change and temp
If the tank is vented properly you should hear no sucking sound when you open the cap and the pressure inside the tank should be exactly that of the atmosphere. Leave your cap off and go for a test drive just for kicks.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
If the tank is vented properly you should hear no sucking sound when you open the cap and the pressure inside the tank should be exactly that of the atmosphere. Leave your cap off and go for a test drive just for kicks.
Exactly what he said.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Mad scientist

$ Estimated Saved: -45,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.5

I hate to say this, but it sounds like a pump problem- Probably wear which is reducing the max pressure it can make.

May seem like an obvious question, but did you inspect the end of the Pr Reg to ensure nothing is caught in it? Always a good idea to back the set screw all the way out(to the stop) and blow it out. Still leaning toward pump though.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Vegistroker

Took cap off and drove with same results. I'm going with pump. Now I need to know if I can bolt a scorpion pump up to the same spot the FASS was mounted? What else do I need? Just pump and motor?

Tags
cornering, pressure loss, ssb, starvation, tank