BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

I recall Jay once stating that the SSB has a failsafe, where if the veg is at low pressure for a certain amount of time (I thought it was 1 minute but I could be wrong) then it will just stay on D2. Clay mentioned that you are sucking air when you do this, and the pump and filter are trying to re prime, and he is absolutely correct. If this process takes more than the failsafe time then it will stay on the D2, and of course change back after you restart and the pump has time to catch up. I'd bet that is exactly what is happening, and that failsafe wasn't on the non SSB version, hence it doing it to you now. So in conclusion, there is nothing malfunctioning, the system is operating correctly, although inconveniently for you. Have you replaced the pickup tube in the tank with the tygon flex line? That helped me a ton!
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American View Post
I recall Jay once stating that the SSB has a failsafe, where if the veg is at low pressure for a certain amount of time (I thought it was 1 minute but I could be wrong) then it will just stay on D2. Clay mentioned that you are sucking air when you do this, and the pump and filter are trying to re prime, and he is absolutely correct. If this process takes more than the failsafe time then it will stay on the D2, and of course change back after you restart and the pump has time to catch up. I'd bet that is exactly what is happening, and that failsafe wasn't on the non SSB version, hence it doing it to you now. So in conclusion, there is nothing malfunctioning, the system is operating correctly, although inconveniently for you. Have you replaced the pickup tube in the tank with the tygon flex line? That helped me a ton!
I didnt know this. Makes sense and likely to reason.
Yes, get the longer tygon hose and problem solved.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Gettin Greasy

$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

I wonder if its possible for us change the fail safe time. Thinking maybe the OP accidentally changed that while adjusting the purge and run times.....

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
VegiRammer

$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

I haven't noticed anything in the SSB menu that would change that, though I haven't specifically looked for it. I'm guessing its a software thing. Could be changed with a flash if that's the case.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Gettin Greasy

$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

Kind of what I was thinking about the flash also, and a really easy way of eliminating my idea as a possibility. If I'm not mistaken, Jay should be able to email the original / latest version of the programming and the SSB can be "updated" back to stock. (that sounds like back to the future logic)

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Mad scientist

$ Estimated Saved: -45,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.5

I'd like to throw out my .02 cents worth as well. I also am almost positive that the SSB has a built in self protection safety, but what the time is I don't know. Before we try disabling or tampering with it, I'm with Roboto, let's look further at trying to diagnose what is happening.

It really should not take over a minute for a properly working system to purge and come back up to pressure. Even a brand new system. I would say there is something else going on- Air Leak, high tank vacuum, etc. Could even be pressure is a little low. When the oil is cold, the pump will create a little more pressure then when completely warm and less viscous. This becomes even more true if there is any wear in the pump. The best way to diagnose this is with a pressure gauge, but there are a few things you can try first-

While running with system on, try pushing the purge button for a few seconds- Does you PR turn to pr? if so how quickly. Is it instant? How quickly does your pressure return after releasing the purge button? If it takes longer then about 2-3 seconds, there is a problem.

Another step you can try is turning the system while driving for a few seconds, then back on again and again note how long it takes the system to come on.

Yet one more question- When first using the system for the day, how long does it take from the time you get a T(and a PU), to getting a PR?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 202,000
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: 6

Now we're cooking! These are the questions I like. I'll run your diagnostics and report back. I know nothing of these tubes you speak of. Where do I find such items?

2001 F-350 SRW 7.3 V3-SSB
Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Unapologetically American

$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob651 View Post
I know nothing of these tubes you speak of. Where do I find such items?
010383 Pick Up Assembly, Tygon - 24"

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/rds-parts.html
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 202,000
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: 6

So the purge push immediately cuts it off and it takes a second or less to come back on. When I turn it off while driving it takes a second to cut back on. When I let it warm up initially for the day, the T PU and PR all come on simultaneously.

2001 F-350 SRW 7.3 V3-SSB
Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Mad scientist

$ Estimated Saved: -45,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob651 View Post
So the purge push immediately cuts it off and it takes a second or less to come back on. When I turn it off while driving it takes a second to cut back on. When I let it warm up initially for the day, the T PU and PR all come on simultaneously.
This leads me to believe you likely have low pressure, just crossing the threshold for the system to work. So that means either sticky/contaminated Pr. Reg, or Compromised pump, or maybe a simple Pr Reg adj. Here's why-

The system cutting off nearly instantly when you press the purge button means either low pressure, or low volume(restriction) like a dirty pre-screen. But that it comes back almost immediately means it is most likely not a restriction. The quick turn on in the morning further supports this.(thicker oil makes the problem worse, not better). Usually with a restriction the pump has to fight to regain pressure and can take a while. Possibly useful future knowledge- During normal cruise the engine uses a fairly small amount of fuel. Figure at 60 mph, and 15mpg that is 4 gn/hr, or only about 8.5 oz/minute.

If you have adequate volume and pressure, because the motor does use such little fuel relative to system flow it takes a few second for the pressure to bleed off enough to shut off. Like I said before, in a perfect system there is plenty enough excess flow that the system won't shut off at all. Now when suck a bunch of air, a "loose" pump will have a very hard time re-priming itself. A stuck pressure regulator will keep recycling the air internally back to the inlet of the pump. And there is yet another possible option, but let's check the simple stuff first.

Try Adjusting your Pr. Reg clockwise about a 1/4 turn CW, rerun your driving purge test and see if that changes anything.

Tags
cornering, pressure loss, ssb, starvation, tank