BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Default V3 to the rescue... almost?

Stock diesel tank fuel straps broke going down the highway, fuel tank destroyed and a full tank of diesel everywhere. Luckily I have a v3, unluckily I have a beta(ish) scorpion pump that I preordered before they were available for purchase. This scorpion pump is installed and I was able to limp home on D2 in my WVO toolbox tank. The problem is that the scorpion pump that I have doesn't build sufficient fuel pressure on D2. Is there anyway to remedy that?

I then decided to hook my WVO tank up to the stock fuel pump(it's 95% D2 with some left over WVO) as I was not going to replace the stock ford d2 fuel tank... too much money and I'm not running any veg now or in the near future. This of course has led to problems with the stock fuel system, I've got a lack of fuel pressure anytime other than just idling. I believe the FPR is problem gunked/stuck open or I've screwed the stock fuel pump. I could try to repair the FPR, but I fear the remaining WVO in tank will cause problems again, so I decided to try to switch back over to the V3. onto the next part of the saga...

I then tried putting my old fass back on with the pressure plate, I bench tested it and it does spin freely, I did have to loosen it up a bit to get it to spin. When I installed the old fass I cleaned out the prescreen and all the fuel drained out of the feed line. I cannot for the life of me get the fass to prime from the tank. I've tried dumping some fuel down the feed line to help prime the line, but I'm not having any luck.

Comments/suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Gettin Greasy

1-Find an oil source or get a job at a fast food place
2-Go to junkyard and get a cheap oem fuel tank.
3-Take off the scorpion pump and throw it in the nearest dumpster
4-Buy a FASS standalone HPFP and a block off plate for the old mounting spot
5-Enjoy your V3 as it was meant to be.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Try loosening the v3 filter a few turns, then run pump on manual. listen for change in pump sound. have drain pan under filter. Hope that does it. I have had to put vacumn on the V3 thru the feed to engine fitting to get to prime a few times.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Thinner D2 is well documented to be an issue with the original Scorpions. The FASS should work. I would run it in manual and loosen the VO filter an see if that helps. Be ready for a golden shower! lol!!

You could also have the FASS pump running in reverse. You would hear air bubbling in your tank when you crack the VO filter.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:40 PM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I'm surprised a stock d2 pump didn't work. I've used those and they seem fine. The only reason that i can think of if it didn't build pressure ,if you put the stock pump in line from your veg tank , is if your check valves on heads are malfunctioning. Not trying to make things more complicated for you tho.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
Try loosening the v3 filter a few turns, then run pump on manual. listen for change in pump sound. have drain pan under filter. Hope that does it. I have had to put vacumn on the V3 thru the feed to engine fitting to get to prime a few times.
I'm a novice, what do you use to put a vacuum on it? Vacuum pump with some oil separator so you don't get oil in the vacuum pump?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
1-Find an oil source or get a job at a fast food place
2-Go to junkyard and get a cheap oem fuel tank.
3-Take off the scorpion pump and throw it in the nearest dumpster
4-Buy a FASS standalone HPFP and a block off plate for the old mounting spot
5-Enjoy your V3 as it was meant to be.
Instead of a block off plate, can I just leave my fass mounted with the kidney bean plate installed? I don't understand how the method by which these pumps build pressure/work, so that may seem like a silly question.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Ok guys. I figured out that the pump was binding, loosened the bolts a tad and heard it spin up. Now I've replaced the donaldson fuel filter and left that cracked and I'm getting clear non aerated fuel leaking of the loosened filter. Now I've tightened the filter up and removed the fuel output line off the v3 that feeds the engine. I'm getting no fuel at all coming out of this fitting.

My conclusion is that I have a clog of some sorts after the filter. Does anyone agree? Is there a way to easily unclog it while it is still on the vehicle? I'm thinking drop the filter and take my air compressor nozzle and attach to rubber fuel line and attempt to blow out. I'm gonna go try to find a diagram that explains the fuel flow through the v3 manifold.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Gettin Greasy

Or depending how old your filter is it could be clogged
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Or depending how old your filter is it could be clogged
I just put a brand new filter on.

After the fuel filter does the fuel flow to the FPR? Perhaps this is what is clogged.