BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
Thanks, I'll get one of the torches on order! I thought you needed to use an actual soldering gun! Learn something new every day!
Can get them at most auto parts stores as well as wal mart and Lowes.
So when you say it "was an old design and its since been revised so yes, trash it," does the "revised" part mean I need to change anything else, or just eliminate the relay and its attached harness?
Just eliminate the relay and nothing else to add. The revision was the elimination of that part in the kits.

Last edited by Clay; 02-01-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Thanks, I'll get one of the torches on order! I thought you needed to use an actual soldering gun! Learn something new every day!

So when you say it "was an old design and its since been revised so yes, trash it," does the "revised" part mean I need to change anything else, or just eliminate the relay and its attached harness?
The 'revision' was adding a diode on the D2 pump - the relay did not fix the problem. (don't use it)

You'll need a diode across the +/- terminals of the diesel pump. Not sure what the specs are, but this is readily available at autoparts.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Last edited by skyskijason; 02-01-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Yeah I forgot about the 2nd diode.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
The 'revision' was adding a diode on the D2 pump - the relay did not fix the problem. (don't use it)

You'll need a diode across the +/- terminals of the diesel pump. Not sure what the specs are, but this is readily available at autoparts.

Ok, so both pumps have a diode? There's one on the harness of the Scorpion pump. I think I have an extra diode from the Scorpion pump "fix"-is it the same one?

I checked out both NAPA and CARQUEST, as well as the 2 home electrical stores and nobody could help with the Purge Valve plug.

How do I solder it without melting the plastic around the female portion of the housing?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Ok, so both pumps have a diode? There's one on the harness of the Scorpion pump. I think I have an extra diode from the Scorpion pump "fix"-is it the same one?

I checked out both NAPA and CARQUEST, as well as the 2 home electrical stores and nobody could help with the Purge Valve plug.

How do I solder it without melting the plastic around the female portion of the housing?
Yes, it is the same diode.

You don't solder that connection without messing it up. That is why I did not suggest it... Just buy the Deutsch connector. Del City, Waytek, Wiring Products, maybe Grainger, etc will have it.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:18 PM

Your needing the plug to the purge valve? Is that right?
Let me look and see if I have that plug laying around. I have an extra wire harness or 2 laying around and I can cut it off long enough you can easily solder it without messing anything up.

Last edited by Clay; 02-02-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Your needing the plug to the purge valve? Is that right?
Let me look and see if I have that plug laying around. I have an extra wire harness or 2 laying around and I can cut it off long enough you can easily soldier it without messing anything up.
Thanks! I think Jay has me taken care of-I placed an order for a few filters and he said he'd throw the plug in the box for me. I'll let you know if it doesn't work out for some unforeseen reason though!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:46 AM
Senior Vegistroker

After some really long days of working on the truck after work, I have everything hooked up and ready to go (at least I think!). I fired the truck up and it runs fine on diesel-had a little hiccup since I did a full fuel bowl rebuild, but evened out after it stalled once. I don't have any veggie in the tank yet, but I wanted to make sure it was purging so I don't get stuck in the cold. I pulled the return hose and put it in a container so I could measure the volume of diesel. Had a helper hold the Purge button down for about 30 seconds, and didn't get a drop out of the return line while the truck was running. Got under the V3 and had her hit the Manual On, and couldn't feel the pump kick on.
Is this normal considering there is no veggie in the tank yet? I'm hoping the pump isn't toast on the used kit I bought...
I also have to mess with the timer cards. I read some threads about OHM testing. I'm no expert with a multimeter, so I'm hoping I can figure this one out! I also noticed there is only 1 red LED, but I do have two timer wheels. Shouldn't there be a second red LED-1 for purge, 1 for engine run?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Gettin Greasy

Are there any LEDs lit up on timer cards, etc?

With key on and engine off, have someone hit manual purge and listen for valve to click.

Don't run V3 pump without fuel in VO tank. Put a few gallons of diesel in the tank if you want to test system. I put a valve on the coolant supply so I can turn the heat off to allow burning diesel.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
Are there any LEDs lit up on timer cards, etc?

With key on and engine off, have someone hit manual purge and listen for valve to click.

Don't run V3 pump without fuel in VO tank. Put a few gallons of diesel in the tank if you want to test system. I put a valve on the coolant supply so I can turn the heat off to allow burning diesel.
I only have 1 LED that lights up and I'm guessing it's the engine run as it has been staying on for about 10 minutes! I need to adjust that. I don't see the LED for the Purge time anywhere...

Good suggestion-I'll put some diesel in the VO tank and test from there. I did put a ball valve on the manifold for the coolant, so I can turn off the coolant flow. Thanks!