BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
I pulled the fuel hose from the V3 to the engine tee and tested it. Fuel started dripping out as soon as the ignition switch was turned to "accessory on", and when the veggie switch was flipped to manual on, the diesel came out with a lot of volume. Probably got about 20 oz of fuel in a few seconds. Seems normal. The pump is making a slightly gravelly noise.
I pulled the tank fittings and they were pretty plugged up-looked like polymerized oil that was thick and nasty. Pulled all of the fittings and have them soaking in Super Clean to de-gunk them. The fuel pickup was really hard to unscrew, and found it it's all stripped out. Messed up the opening where the hose barb threads in. Fuel pickup looked clean otherwise. Thinking about JB Welding the threads back in, unless you recommend another method!
So, questions for now-could the plugged vent fitting and fuel return fitting cause the problems I've been having? What can I do to get rid of the gravelly noise? Anything else to test from here?
This thread is so long I'm going to try to figure out the above.

1st. Do you have a pressure gauge? If not, your shooting blind and it's going to confuse what is going on. Get one asap. One that attaches to the shrader valve will work for now.

1. Key on / engine off will cause your stock diesel pump to show what pressure it is putting out. What is that pressure?

2. Putting the switch to manual (With out turning the key off) will show the Scorpion pump pressure. Manual light will not go on without the preset pressure. What is this reading?

3.Pushing the purge switch will change the sound of the scorpion and push any air out of the V3 back into the SVO tank. Does the sound change?

3rd. If you have a bad scorpion pump, you could have SVO shooting out with the test you did because there is no back pressure. Again, this would show with a gauge (#2 above). Also make sure you have a clean svo filter.

Gravelly pump doesn't sound good. It may flow svo, but the pressure is low and the V3 will not switch to SVO since the SVO pressure is not there. You can ajust the pressure all you want but that won't help if your pump is bad.

Get a good in cab pressure gauge. This is an invaluable tool for the v2,3, and 4.
Other members, please chime in if I got anything wrong here.

Here's the rant for wingnut:

I wish pressure senders and gauge were included in all the kits. Pressure sender instead shrader valve. Use the spare wire to the pressure gauge. it would make the members here help with diagnosing problems.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

Thanks Hawaiian Diesel! I'll post the results when I get everything put back together-I'm soaking all of the vent fittings to de-gunk them, and I'm going to have to figure something out with the fuel pick-up tube as the fitting is all messed up. May have to order a new one from RDS since the threads in the tank and fitting were stripped and I crushed the threads for the hose barb muscling it out.
I do have a fuel pressure gauge with a sender in the V3 manifold.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Senior Vegistroker

1st. Do you have a pressure gauge? If not, your shooting blind and it's going to confuse what is going on. Get one asap. One that attaches to the shrader valve will work for now. I do have a Pro Comp Ultralight Fuel Pressure Gauge wired and mounted in the cab.

1. Key on / engine off will cause your stock diesel pump to show what pressure it is putting out. What is that pressure? 58 PSI

2. Putting the switch to manual (With out turning the key off) will show the Scorpion pump pressure. Manual light will not go on without the preset pressure. What is this reading? 12 PSI (diesel is in the WVO tank)

3.Pushing the purge switch will change the sound of the scorpion and push any air out of the V3 back into the SVO tank. Does the sound change? No change in sound of pump when Key on/engine off, Manual switch on, hit Purge while Manual On. Also hit Purge with Scorpion pump off and couldn't hear anything and pump didn't come on. Maybe that's normal?

3rd. If you have a bad scorpion pump, you could have SVO shooting out with the test you did because there is no back pressure. Again, this would show with a gauge (#2 above). Also make sure you have a clean svo filter. Main filter is new and clean with install. Prescreen is clean. I did a thorough cleaning of the V3, Purge Valve, Pressure Regulator, and everything else I could clean!

Gravelly pump doesn't sound good. It may flow svo, but the pressure is low and the V3 will not switch to SVO since the SVO pressure is not there. You can ajust the pressure all you want but that won't help if your pump is bad. Pump is slightly louder than the working pump on my truck.

Get a good in cab pressure gauge. This is an invaluable tool for the v2,3, and 4.
Other members, please chime in if I got anything wrong here.
Thanks for the help on this! Is it sounding like the pump is bad? I just drained all but about 5-10 gallons of Diesel and I'm going to fill tank up with WVO and see if the Scorpion likes the WVO better than diesel!

I will poste results after fuel is changed over to WVO (with a few gallons of WVO mixed in!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Senior Vegistroker

My fiancÚ was driving the truck this morning and I was riding shotgun. I left the fuse panel cover off so I can see the timer cards. Also noticed the red LEDs came on, but didn't stay on for the whole drive to work. Clay mentioned earlier in this post that he thought those are controlled by the temperature switch. Is that true? If so, what would cause the temperature to drop and the LEDs to turn off? I did put a hose clamp on the hose going into the heater core on the hot side just to direct more heat to the V3 to see if that helps. I also have an extra temperature switch that I might put in just to make sure the switch is operating correctly.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Need to monitor coolant temp. Do you have an aux coolant pump? When the lights went out were you coasting down a long hill or cruising with partial throttle? What was the outside temp?
Get a coolant pump for sure.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Senior Vegistroker

I did buy a Bosch aux coolant pump and the copper coolant coil from SkySkiJason and it's installed. It may have been after a long descent where no throttle was happening. It was probably around 40 degrees out this morning. I'm planning on wrapping the coolant coils with some sheet insulation or something to keep the coolant from cooling off too much from the cold air temperature exchange.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm planning on wrapping the coolant coils with some sheet insulation or something to keep the coolant from cooling off too much from the cold air temperature exchange.
As long as your coil is on the return side of the coolant hose, it will have no effect. If its not on the return side, you should redo it so it is.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Senior Vegistroker

It is on the return side. I did find some really large diameter pipe insulation-I think I'll leave it on there for the -30 days we have in the winter from time to time!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
It is on the return side. I did find some really large diameter pipe insulation-I think I'll leave it on there for the -30 days we have in the winter from time to time!
That will definately help keep your filter warmer but it wont effect the temp switch at all.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:39 AM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

2. Putting the switch to manual (With out turning the key off) will show the Scorpion pump pressure. Manual light will not go on without the preset pressure. What is this reading? 12 PSI (diesel is in the WVO tank)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Pump is either the old style that can't pump D2, Prescreen or filter is blocked, pressure needs to be adjusted on the V3.

I don't have the Scorpion, but someone with experience with them should chime in.