BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Heated tank?

Right now I have a aux. 90 L tank that I use for my truck. I am wanting to know if there is a way to get it setup with a heater and a fuel level gauge? Thanks guys
Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: y=Mx+b

Fuel level sensor is no problem. Need to know the depth of the tank, drill the hole, drill the mounting holes, order the correct length fuel level sender (normally 33 - 240 ohms) and wire it up to a matching gauge

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?...uel_Level_Tube

As far as the heat goes, RDS puts a tube in at build time for coolant to pass thru the tank. This is the one you get from Jay. If you already have a tank, you have to find a way to put heat into it. Some folks use a hotfox

http://www.arctic-fox.com/sitepages/pid40.php

But I am working on something similar to this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...KIbKgQf339jpBQ

Scroll down to the in tank heat exchanger

One of the issues that I have with my flat bottom tank with the pickup on the far right is that around 1/2 tank the fuel sloshes away from the pickup around corners, so a sump, or a method to hold oil in place (like the coils in the pic) is helpful to keep your light green.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

WOW!! That is an EARLY version of the Frybrid in-tank HE!!! Cool pic.

I would shy away from trying to heat the tank the way BFT/RDS tanks are heated. The biggest issue is trying to secure the HE tubing so it does not move around in tank and fail/leak from fatigue. Its gonna be tough to secure properly without adding more access/holes to the existing tank. The same problem exists with DIY knock-offs of the FB HE - the modern version (like, all but 3 like the one linked above) have a sump of sorts built-in around the pick-up which helps with the problems associated with such a big, FLAT tank bottom and also focuses the heat on a small amount of oil instead of the 'whole tank'.

Keep us posted and please attach some pics when ya get done!

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Wow, Frybrid has completely changed there ITHE design.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Gettin Greasy

Let's try this again,

Here is a better pic:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Gs7ogAel9_znBQ

There is a complete unit and a cutaway view.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
WOW!! That is an EARLY version of the Frybrid in-tank HE!!! Cool pic.

I would shy away from trying to heat the tank the way BFT/RDS tanks are heated. The biggest issue is trying to secure the HE tubing so it does not move around in tank and fail/leak from fatigue. Its gonna be tough to secure properly without adding more access/holes to the existing tank. The same problem exists with DIY knock-offs of the FB HE - the modern version (like, all but 3 like the one linked above) have a sump of sorts built-in around the pick-up which helps with the problems associated with such a big, FLAT tank bottom and also focuses the heat on a small amount of oil instead of the 'whole tank'.

Keep us posted and please attach some pics when ya get done!
In a perfect world, I would have done this tank myself. Try to envision an upside down frybrid HE that extends into a sump below the tank. So, you have maybe a 3" sump out of the bottom of the tank, for which you would need to put a hole into the bed of the truck. The benefit would be that you could run all of your hoses under the truck, and you would have a heated sump that eliminates cornering issues while only heating the oil directly around the sump.

It may seem odd to put such a large hole in the bed, but then you wouldn't need to put a hole in the corner, which is almost as large. And if fixes the weakness of the RDS tank.

What I envision is something like the sump here:

http://www.hellmannperformance.com/

with the aluminum coils built into it.

Now that I am doing my new Ex, I probably won't get back to this project until mid summer. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
In a perfect world, I would have done this tank myself. Try to envision an upside down frybrid HE that extends into a sump below the tank. So, you have maybe a 3" sump out of the bottom of the tank, for which you would need to put a hole into the bed of the truck. The benefit would be that you could run all of your hoses under the truck, and you would have a heated sump that eliminates cornering issues while only heating the oil directly around the sump.

It may seem odd to put such a large hole in the bed, but then you wouldn't need to put a hole in the corner, which is almost as large. And if fixes the weakness of the RDS tank.

What I envision is something like the sump here:

http://www.hellmannperformance.com/

with the aluminum coils built into it.

Now that I am doing my new Ex, I probably won't get back to this project until mid summer. I'll let you know what I come up with.
I'm going to be completely redoing my entire tank. I may just start from scratch and sell this one off actually. Instead of cutting a giant hole in the bed for the sump, I'm either going to just raise the bottom of the tank slightly so a sump will fit under and still not have to go through the bed or I may just design a new tank to fit on the frame rail, and give me some bed space back. Either way, a heated sump is going in. I should be getting some form of a heated sump from the same guy who did my filter housing, just need to sit down and hash out some details. I'm excited to get a new tank design on the truck though. I only have one tab on my RDS tank left holding it to the bed, cause they break off.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
1997 CC PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
I only have one tab on my RDS tank left holding it to the bed, cause they break off.
Wow, really? Is this a common problem? Guess I should regularly check mine. Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Which sump do you guys rec. and do you know of a build thread with pics of this done? Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
Which sump do you guys rec. and do you know of a build thread with pics of this done? Thanks
If anything is out there it's custom at this point. I'm basically going to copy the Hellmann sump myself, but add ports for coolant to flow through the sump body itself. Roger (Roboto) already posted a link to the sump itself. Not really much to the sump, but adding the coolant jackets should be interesting...

When I get to this step I will definitely post updates. Maybe spark some ideas for other guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanderson View Post
Wow, really? Is this a common problem? Guess I should regularly check mine. Sorry for the thread drift.
Not sure. I think part of the issue was the supplied hardware. The nuts bottomed out on the threads of the bolt, and were still a touch loose. My guess is it had just enough slop to move around and keep bending those tabs until they broke. The one single tab holding it seems to be doing well. God knows how many boosted launches I've done with only 2 tabs holding it.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.

Last edited by Mdub707; 05-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.