BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 08+ 6.4

Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
I suppose I could probably read the thread and figure this one out, but how is the fuel cooler "powered" ? Is it something that could be turned off when WVO is pumping? Forgive my ignorance on the operation of the cooler, just a thought!
I don't know actually but the real solution is a switching valve setup (think Frybrid setup)
A switching valve for the return and feed and a 3rd one for purging operations (its complicated but I have it all drawn up) The return valve would allow wvo to bypass mixing back in with the feed to the HPFP and return it straight to the tank. I would still use the fuel cooler so i wouldn't have 250* oil returning to the wvo tank. We are working on a whole redesign for this system.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
I suppose I could probably read the thread and figure this one out, but how is the fuel cooler "powered" ? Is it something that could be turned off when WVO is pumping? Forgive my ignorance on the operation of the cooler, just a thought!
Oh, what i do know about the fuel cooler, its a small flat plate HE with its own radiator up front. It doesn't use engine coolant. I assume it has a coolant pump somewhere but I have not found it.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Miles on Grease: 157000
MacGyver Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to muns53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Oh, what i do know about the fuel cooler, its a small flat plate HE with its own radiator up front. It doesn't use engine coolant. I assume it has a coolant pump somewhere but I have not found it.
What does the fuel cooler do? Sounds weird. Is it only for D2 or does D2 and WVO go through it? Can you just eliminate/bypass it?

If neither of those make sense, would it work to plug the port that the cooled fuel uses to go in to the fuel bowl? Then you could install a line that returns that cooled fuel to the fuel tank.

Keep at it! We're all rooting for your success to find a way to make it happen!
ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns53 View Post
What does the fuel cooler do? Sounds weird. Is it only for D2 or does D2 and WVO go through it? Can you just eliminate/bypass it?

If neither of those make sense, would it work to plug the port that the cooled fuel uses to go in to the fuel bowl? Then you could install a line that returns that cooled fuel to the fuel tank.

Keep at it! We're all rooting for your success to find a way to make it happen!
Thefuel cooler is there for good reason - prevent burning up the HPFP- so I can not omit it. I have a plan, will see if those most interested want to go there.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 105,000
$ Estimated Saved: $10,000
MacGyver Rating: 1

Hmm. Interesting thought. Just as the V3 turns off the D2 fuel pump, why not turn off the coolant pump for the cooler? Didn't I read an earlier post in this thread that the cooler system is entirely self contained and has its own pumping system?
110,000 miles and counting
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: Over 100K
$ Estimated Saved: Don't keep up with it.
MacGyver Rating: ╥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo1616 View Post
Hmm. Interesting thought. Just as the V3 turns off the D2 fuel pump, why not turn off the coolant pump for the cooler? Didn't I read an earlier post in this thread that the cooler system is entirely self contained and has its own pumping system?
If you turn off the pump for the fuel cooler, you could burn up the HPFP as Clay stated before. I've seen people that didn't fill the fuel cooler up so the pump gets airlocked, get over 200* fuel temps.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Clay.
I think the drawing I showed you will address the veggie cooling problem.
As I have it drawn, the veggie will return to the veg tank and not mix in with the incoming veggie. It will then go back through the manifold from the tank for another heating session.
We may have to add additional heat before it is sent to the HPFP, maybe via TIH or HIH that remains to be determined.
The D2 will function just as it does in stock form.
Am I missing something?

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbboomer View Post
Clay.
I think the drawing I showed you will address the veggie cooling problem.
As I have it drawn, the veggie will return to the veg tank and not mix in with the incoming veggie. It will then go back through the manifold from the tank for another heating session.
We may have to add additional heat before it is sent to the HPFP, maybe via TIH or HIH that remains to be determined.
The D2 will function just as it does in stock form.
Am I missing something?
Darrel, your exactly right.
I am talking about the filter plug setup with the filter bowl in place.
This completely blows that option out of the water. The fuel manifold will take care of this by not sending cooled fuel back to the input to HPFP, but rather send it all back to the wvo tank after its been cooled.
The purge time with the current setup is still too long and will not appeal to those like me who drive short trips every day (30 miles). If i was starting and drivng 400 miles before I purged, i would not worry about the large diesel consumption with the purge. 1/2 gal of D2 over 400 miles is good. 1/2 gal. of D2 over 30 miles is not.
On top of that, when i restart and the wvo system switches on, it immediately begins to return fuel to the wvo tank which means another 1/2 gal or so of D2 gets sent to the wvo tank untill those lines are filled with wvo.
Not a mixing issue of course, just more D2 consumption that I want to avoid.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Agreed the bowl plug isn't the answer.
The purge time absolutely needs to be reduced by a bunch.
I think with a little luck this approach will fix both issues and greatly reduce the purge time as well as improve the purge quality.
I need to get these drawings finished up so we can move forward.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Future Vegistroker

any updates?