BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > Technical Write-ups

Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Miles on Grease: 150,000
$ Estimated Saved: $40,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.006
Default SSB Flashing instructions

First... keep in mind that I'm not going to offer a lot of support for this side... There's nothing overly complicated about this process, but it you find working with a computer at all intimidating, this might not be for you.

Second... rule of thumb is that "if it's not broken, don't fix it". If you're happy with the way your SSB is running, and there is nothing you're trying to address, then there is no need for you to update your SSB. If you are left with a question of "should I update?" the answer is by default "no".

Third... (to put your mind at ease)... the micro-controller in the SSB is near impossible to "brick". There is no software process you can run through (inside these procedures, anyway), and no risk in leaving your SSB in a state where it won't work. Worst case is that you won't be able to figure out HOW to flash it, and you're left with the version you had before. (Note: this rule does not apply to Jason Crawford... and he knows exactly why and the specific incidents I'm referring to...)

Fourth... read #1 again. Seriously. I will NOT be troubleshooting someone's PC or hand-holding them through the process of installing Windows drivers because their kid installed a "Dora the Explorer" adventure... fair warning.

Link to Google Docs where the FLASH instructions are...

LINKY

Quick summary: There are two parts to the firmware update...first you have to install the drivers to talk to the SSB. (That part is roughly outlined in the Google Doc linked above).

The second part then is contained in this second download. After you have completed Step 1, unzip the contents of the FIRMWARE zip file into the SAME DIRECTORY (\BFT), and then run the "SSB Flash Update.exe" program.

Follow the instructions on the program.

As new firmware versions are posted, I will simply include them here... each version will contain all the fixes from previous versions, so no need to download and apply each and every one. Downloading the latest firmware will suffice.

(Note: I'm a software injuneer by day... so that makes me a little OCD about my software organization. My SSB software revisions might never get released to the wild (I compile and put them on my test trucks first)... but I'm including the notes for software changes I've made since the very first release. This becomes important when comparing your own software version against what has been released).

Versions of SSB Firmware: (remember each version is cumulative, so the latest copy of firmware has all items below it from previous versions)

SSB Version 1.0.1.9

1.0.1.9:
Tweaked "PS_LAG" feature to make it work better with interrupts.
Solved bug with "FILTER SAFETY" feature, preventing it from counting down.

1.0.1.8:
Added "PS_LAG" debug feature into the menus system, to try to help better track the PS switch cycling issue

1.0.1.7: NEVER RELEASED. NO USER HAS 1.0.1.7 installed on their SSB
Fixed issue with powering off the unit (swOFF state might not actually power off the unit).
Fixed issue with safety purge firing off when changing switch position before the unit was up to temp and pressure
Brightness setting now saved/reloaded on unit power-up
Safety Purge countdown timer text now correctly displaying (more OLED text formatting)
Adjustment made to try to keep the pressure switch counter to either take more prozac... or wake the hell up...

1.0.1.6: NEVER RELEASED. NO USER HAS 1.0.1.6 installed on their SSB
Added feature for "safety purge". This is more for the Dodge/RR stuff.

1.0.1.5: INITIAL RELEASE. All versions prior to this version were only released to BETA test group.
Changed default purge time to 20s for RR.
Put in more init_safety_values for the warm-up phase to keep the filter safety from "false triggering"
Removed references for "6.4L" and replaced with term "SOL2" or "DH+1"

Jay
-VegiStroke V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Dodge Cummins - VEGIRAM
-Prototype V4 VegiRam - 40,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Caterpillar 3126E/C7 - VEGICAT
-Frankenstein-ized V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

1974 Human Wife
2002 Human Son

<Shameless plug>
Support BFT and these forums: purchase your bag and spin-on filters from our on-line store: BFT On-Line Store
</Shameless plug>

Last edited by WingNut; 02-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

Jay, here's my "I'm such an IT dinosaur that I'm still trying to figure out the Cloud" question: Roger took his laptop out to his truck to do his update. Does the SSB need to have power to flash it? Or can it be taken inside and flashed from a desktop?

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 06-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Miles on Grease: 150,000
$ Estimated Saved: $40,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.006

The red micro-controller board gets the only power it needs from the USB cable you plug into it... so you can pull it and take it to your desktop. (I think that's what Roboto wound up doing anyway).

The "high-power" connection from your truck is to feed the SSB enough power to play with so it can flip relays and stuff.

(I think in the manual I put in some snarky stuff like "you must unplug high power... you'll think you flashed it successfully while you're still plugged into high power, but it won't work. You'll think it worked, and then I'll be forced to tell you in front of the entire internet community about your epic fail")

Jay
-VegiStroke V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Dodge Cummins - VEGIRAM
-Prototype V4 VegiRam - 40,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Caterpillar 3126E/C7 - VEGICAT
-Frankenstein-ized V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

1974 Human Wife
2002 Human Son

<Shameless plug>
Support BFT and these forums: purchase your bag and spin-on filters from our on-line store: BFT On-Line Store
</Shameless plug>
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60k
$ Estimated Saved: nickel or 2
MacGyver Rating: √ -1

New Uodates?
Mine has 1.0.1.12 so im assuming its latest and greatest. But its been sitting on bench for awhile waiting for time to install.

Quote by Vandy "Ive got my head to toe tyvek bunny suit ready for my spills and shots to the face"