BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 04-01-2018, 12:29 AM
vergie2010

Miles on Grease: 225k
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: -2 to 5
Default No pressure/weak scorpion l replacement pump?

I was having low pressure issues 2-3month ago; Truck would go green then lose pressure between 15, or 20 minutes, green off. I checked PS, TS, cleared vent, checked pickup line, supply line flow, checked prescreen and replaced Donaldson, new pressure regulator as well. So, after all this I figured had weak pump that was failing.

Purchased leftover new-scorpion 1pump replacement. So far my system will not even turn green at all. Iíve checked everything, including all fuses. Note: while doing so I checked the SSB and the two main wires that plug in came loose, they touched and blew 40amp fuse at battery.
Pressure test consistently shows 50 psi. However, Iíve disconnected the engine go supply line at the T connection and put switch on manual and got VO out the line.

Can the new V1 pump be faulty or is there something I havenít done or could I have messed up brain when the 40 amp fuse blew.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 02:27 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default Pump gears

Could your pump gears be worn out, pump o rings letting in air, could you have a cracked fuel line letting air into system between tank and v3?, just brain storming...pressure is low usually due to fuel deliver issues like filter,prescreen which you have checked. Something else is causing low pressure? Have you tried clamping your purge or return line. Could your purge valve be sticking open slightly ?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:26 PM
vergie2010

Purge valve is new as I thought that might be the issue. Iíve not found any leaks thus far, but my lines from manifold to tank sit in a enclosed ABS pipe, so I may have to take closer look as all Iíve done is check the ends of pipe for leak.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default Purge valve

I have read (I think) that some times actual valve is ok but brain could be malfunctioning(old style) and by putting visegrip or clamp on return line can help build pressure if bleeding slightly at valve. What about fuel pickup in tank. How does that look? Any poly or issues? Looks like you did this already. What about adjusting pressure regulator? If you have too much diesel in tank fuel can also be a bit to thin to build pressure but might have to be all diesel. Local guy couldnít build pressure because of diesel in Wvo tank. I enjoy problem solving sometimes. Maybe call skyski or az dave. They seem to know even more tricks issues etc
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM
vergie2010

Yep....Iíve tried most of all that, except pinching return line cause I have SSB plus I see no leakage from the purge valve. I just switched filter out to no avail. Keeping the other filter I removed cause itís basically got less than 200 miles and I think still good.

I think Iíll just remove manifold, clean it and valves, check all lines and put back together to see if that will do anything, else Iím out of ideas.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 PM
vergie2010

Correction. After reviewing all of AK Jerry post on Relay issue, I'm going to check my relays on the SSB first. When I started having issues staying green, I pulled the SSB from under my steering wheel and noticed that the power black and red wires were not seated well and coming loose. So, as I pulled them out they touched blowing the 40amp fuse at the battery. This happened twice. I've replaced fuse and all is good, powered, but I'm wondering if that could have fried a portion of the board or if that does not make sense because currently my OLED display reads K H T PU Pr E, which means all is well except for Pressure.

Comments?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

You said you have not tried pinching the return line to the fuel tank. That might be a simple thing to give a shot. I've seen that low pressure problem because of the purge valve as well even if it's not leaking around the valve or anyting
Old 04-06-2018, 12:10 AM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Pinch the fuel return like Greaseguy and Wyn-Wyn said. You also need to ensure you fix the electrical connections to reduce resistance and melted plastic!!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:56 AM
vergie2010

Well I crimped the return line but initially before I was up to temp. It turned green and all Caps on OLED, so I removed vice grips from return line and waited until up to temp recrimped return line annnnnd...nothin, except low press reading. Turn truck off, it purged and I pulled the return line and it was barely a trickle. Now, when I manually purge it flows a solid stream at return line.

I do notice a little leak of D2 and maybe VO at pump, but not enough to even drip on ground hardly. Iím was wondering if I have a bad seal/gasket in my new replacement pump that leaks when it builds pressure as it either reaches temp, Purges or I turn on green manually, but no....went out and manually purged and then switched to green and saw no visible signs of leaks.

Gonna give the crimped return line another try and maybe pull pump and disassemble to check gaskets and get back to posting results....

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:13 PM
vergie2010

Pulled pump, replaced brittle sq shaped gasket that broke and was not thicker/higher than recess in head. Put round one in thinking this could prevent pressure build up to achieve green. I was wrong, it didnít work and still shows K H T Pu pr E (anyone know what ,E, means?...donít see that symbol in SSB install).

Pressure check still shows 50 psi and felt pump on manual and off position to make sure it was running and my pressure check is working.

My conclusion at this point is the older version V3 pump may be weak....will email Jay to get opinion.