BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 04-18-2017, 03:25 PM
vergie2010

Miles on Grease: 225k
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: -2 to 5
Default Brainless/temp green

Well, I'm down to this....

Its 30-50 degrees here in AK and for about 2-3 months my green comes on within 10 minutes at 72-75psi and then proceeds to go out after 5 mins or if I gun the truck it will go out immediately. I've posted some of my issues and then I stopped that and started researched all posts related to try and figure out. I've done the following:

1. Switched out for new PS and TS and performed the TS test....no green on test.

2. Removed pump and checked it out as running strong on separate battery

3. Checked all fuses (replaced both blown 25 amps at battery from a short with brain wiring)

4. Installed high temp T-Stat and checked coolant flow (160 at the VO tank and manifold reads 190 with IR gun)

5. Replaced Donaldsons (less than 500 miles on 3 of them)

6. Checked pump via flow at loosened Donaldson

7. Checked Check Valve and Pressure Regulator for good operation

8. Replaced pump relay on brain as mine went out.

9. Fixed VO feed line leak to engine.

10. Removed the tank vent and the stupid ball that clogs up and causes suction....no more of that now!

11. Checked my VO.....its clean....got a buddy running on same stuff and he's had no issues.

12. Checked the wiring on the brain to see if any compromised due to shorts. Mostly, just made sure the big fat wire that goes to the main pump relay was good and visually looked at others.

Side Notes: Once I blew the 25 amp fuses that are at the battery connection from VO harness that changed the way system operated: No longer does my two little red lights on the brain turn on by themselves when my system is green, but if I turn the pump switch to manual green that will turn the lights on. Also, system no longer will auto purge when you turn engine off after being green. I have to turn system on manual green then switch back to auto and turn off engine for it to auto purge.

As noted above, Scorpion pump runs fine when tested on bench with battery and with battery but still on manifold, but will not run in manual after being green and then turning off.

So, my conclusion, electrical issue somewhere between manifold-brain-truck or the brain itself.
My next step purchase an SSB and hope that fixes the problem cause after 3 months of this I'm about to have to go to therapy because my VO patch is wearing off.

If no one disagrees and has no possible resolution than I'm down for that order this Friday.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

An SSB is a great upgrade and could very well fix these odd issues. Other than that, I got nothin...sorry.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:36 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Could be a pump issue. Drive until the truck starts losing pressure and check the pump if it's running. Another issue could be you tightened the pump too tight causing gear binding. Pump will work until it can't reach pressure and stop. (Been there done that)

Don't do brain surgery yet. Malpractice could be a unnecessary option.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergie2010 View Post
Side Notes: Once I blew the 25 amp fuses that are at the battery connection from VO harness that changed the way system operated: No longer does my two little red lights on the brain turn on by themselves when my system is green, but if I turn the pump switch to manual green that will turn the lights on. Also, system no longer will auto purge when you turn engine off after being green. I have to turn system on manual green then switch back to auto and turn off engine for it to auto purge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
Could be a pump issue. Drive until the truck starts losing pressure and check the pump if it's running. Another issue could be you tightened the pump too tight causing gear binding. Pump will work until it can't reach pressure and stop. (Been there done that)

Don't do brain surgery yet. Malpractice could be a unnecessary option.

Good luck.
I dont think his pump bolts are causing this.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Do you have an incab fuel pressure gauge? Once veggie pressure drops below 55 psi for ANY reason the green light will go off and diesel pump will kick in.

Next time this happens pull over and do manual engine off veggie pressure check.

Engine hot Key on engine not running. After 20 seconds or so diesel pump will shut off. After pressure gauge drops to 0 or so. Switch veg switch to manual on and read pressure.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:14 AM
vergie2010

Default Temp Green | Check of Scorpion pump

OK. I checked pressure on VO...nothing.

I loosened bolts til D2 came out then ignition on, manual on....nothing.

Unplug Scorpion pump, hook up to battery and it pumped greatly!

Checked wires at harness manifold area and looked ok, checked all fuses and wires at brain...looked ok and no blown fuses....
Old 04-19-2017, 02:58 PM
BFT Dealer

Time for bucket test. Connect line from V3 or 4 veggie inlet into bucket of diesel. Then do manual test and see of it sucks fuel into manifold. Make sure you did not put pump on upside down at any time. Wires coming out of pump should point down. If it make pressure now then you have a problem with tank pick up or clogged or leaking fuel line from tank to V3 or4.

Remember to unscrew veggie filter a little to help prime.

Just back to basics, one problem at a time. First step is make pressure.

Also because the pump (pumped) off the manifold just mean it spins. Gears could be scarred of manifold scarred. Photos of each would help us help you.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM
BFT Dealer

Do you mean that you have no voltage spinning the pump from the v3 harness? Like no voltage to pump?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM
vergie2010

I'll have to check for voltage. I was assuming I had some because the green does turn on when I first start up in the morning or after truck has sat for 4-6 hours and it shows pressure of 70-75.

I'm going out of town until Friday night, so I'll do all the checks you mentioned when I get back Saturday.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 PM
BFT Dealer

I did not see prescreen on your "done" list. Have you checked the prescreen in the manifold? You need a 5/8th allen wrench to remove the plug covering it.