BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Military Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: 12,500
MacGyver Rating: 3
Default how do you get sticky WVO out of truck bed?

does anyone know how to get that sticky, gummy consistency of WVO out of the truck bed? I've already tried dawn dish soap, alcohol, industrial degreaser and a 1400# pressure washer and it's still all sticky. the only thing that seems to be working is just old-fashioned scraping it with a paint scraper which I really don't want to do. does anyone know of a chemical that will dissolve the sticky, gummy consistency of the oil and can just be sprayed out after? I also thought of maybe floor stripper and a wire brush? I just don't know, sort of at a loss besides like I said just spending days/weeks scraping it out with a paint scraper.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Oven cleaner and HOT water p-washer.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Gettin Greasy

Either make a lye and water solution or ZEP industrial purple cleaner wil work wonders. Both work best when they are used in a warm environment.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60k
$ Estimated Saved: nickel or 2
MacGyver Rating: √ -1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Either make a lye and water solution or ZEP industrial purple cleaner wil work wonders. Both work best when they are used in a warm environment.
Wear gloves and splash googles. And thoroughly rinse truck off. Some plastic/rubber under truck might not be resistant to bases.
If you think your superman and dont need googles when using lye or other strong bases, google eye damage from lye.

My 4000 psi pressure wash can take paint off truck but it just pushes the sticky jello film that is ozidized wvo.

Warm lye water works good but needs to soak to remove thick buildup without a little elbow grease..

Quickest is heated pressure washer 3000 psi+ and above 180 degrees.
May need a few sprays of Zep Purple dereaser and scrub brush to get final sticky film off.
If you spray degreaser on old sticky wvo and the run off doesnt change colors, its too diluted.

Quote by Vandy "Ive got my head to toe tyvek bunny suit ready for my spills and shots to the face"

Last edited by Cashflo; 06-13-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Gettin Greasy

If you have a weed burner and a helper you can speed the scraping greatly.
Heat up buildup until it becomes soft. Then it should scrap all but a thin layer off. It is actually quicker than scrubbing with degreaser to get really thick stuff off. Then it should be quick work with degreaser and stiff brush.

FYI weed burner not a plumbers torch. Torch gets hotter but surface the weed burner heats up is 6X bigger.

Quote by Vandy "Ive got my head to toe tyvek bunny suit ready for my spills and shots to the face"
Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 AM
Military Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: 12,500
MacGyver Rating: 3
Default thanks y'all

thanks for all the quick posts guys!! i think ima try the zep purple degreaser i have again and borrow my friends 3000# pressure washer. but how do you make it hot?? is there an attachment i can buy for it? i feel like its been back there so long im going to have to have my bed sand blasted and just start over. its rhino lined and when im scraping or scrubbing it seems like the rhino liner is coming off with it and/or the sticky WVO is all imbeded in the liner. so frustrating. if i had known this would happen i would have just used a tarp when i got oil or sprayed it out quicker.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:16 AM
Gettin Greasy

Most pressure washers can only handle 150 degrees incoming water. But thats hotter than standard garden hose can handle. There are a few options to get hot water to a pressure washer.
Have a large metal tank full of hot water. Going to need a 200+ gallon.
Feed off your washing machine but thats only going to last until your hot water heater runs out.
But everytime you let go of trigger on the pressure washer the unloader valve open up and cycles water from output to intake on pressure washer pump head. This will keep increasing in heat. So if water is already over 140 degrees you risk overheating the seals and causing damage.

Not something you want to do to a borrowed tool from a friend.
For a real hot water pressure washer you need one of 2 things, an add on hotbox $1800+ or an actual hot water pressure washer $3700+
But you can call around to comercial pressure washer dealers and see if you can rent one. Usually $100+/- a day.

If you have a turkey cooker, you can heat water add some zep pour a few quarts at a time on bed and give it a scrub. with a stiff brush.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Pour some Zep on straight, use protective wear. Let soak 5 min., scrub, rinse, repeat. It works.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Frozen Chosen

Miles on Grease: 200,000
$ Estimated Saved: Lots
MacGyver Rating: 6.27

1. Remove veg tank.
2. Remove truck bed.
3. Install new truck bed.

This is the easiest way.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I have been using oven cleaner lately on the bed and also on the vegetable tank. It works perfect on aluminum. Just be a little bit cautious