BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 PM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I agree with Hawaiian diesel. I had a Jetta TDI and it was super efficient not worth the trouble.
I would consider the new Chev Volt as a great green car . Pricey tho. I would like to invest in solar panels on the house to help charge it too.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:33 PM
permaculturist

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
Mercedes are SLOW. Transmissions are real hard to get to shift properly. They smell inside like horse hair. The seats are stuffed with horse hair. I could go on and on. An old Mercedes is a hobby. Not good transportation without a LOT of maintenance. VW Jetta TDI 2000 to 2003 has a very basic fuel injection system and a great engine. Starting in 2004 they went to a high pressure system with a High Pressure Pump driven off the cam. This required making the lobes on the can narrower causing cam wear problems. Dave
So not even the turbocharged 80-95 Mercedes models?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Drive one. Then decide for yourself. Dave
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

'97-98?? Are the sweet spot for a veggie MBZ. I've converted a couple of these cars. Except for in-dash navi, etc - these cars are on par with any 'modern' car. They don't smell like horse hair either...

Still pretty complicated electronics and the cars I converted had a habit of throwing check engine light. Your average repair shop is afraid of European cars and often just declines to work on them. Your 'European' repair shop charges 50% more/hr and often has a long wait to get in.

I have a collection of parts to put an OM617 (5cyl MBZ turbo diesel) and 5spd manual trans in an '01 Grand Cherokee. I expect to sell these for $12-15k.

Also have a TDi I picked up with thoughts of swapping the engine into a Geo Tracker or similar vehicle. (In my spare, spare time.......).

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 AM
permaculturist

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
VW Jetta TDI 2000 to 2003 has a very basic fuel injection system and a great engine. Starting in 2004 they went to a high pressure system with a High Pressure Pump driven off the cam. This required making the lobes on the can narrower causing cam wear problems. Dave
A 1999 TDI Jetta just appeared for sale in my area. What's the story on this year?
Thanks Dave!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:25 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 202,000
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: 6

I had a 78 MB 300D and it was absolutely great! Simple as all get out to work on but definitely slow to start (though it seemed to glide once over 55) with very soft shifting. That said I would definitely buy another. I now have a 98 MB E300D and itís also pretty awesome and faster thanks to the turbo. However, the conversion and general maintenance is a bit tougher due to tighter tolerances in the work space. I love Benz for the reliability and they drive awesome...just not very peppy.

2001 F-350 SRW 7.3 V3-SSB
Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: A Brazillion

naturally aspirated.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 PM
permaculturist

Question

Cool, good to know Bob. Thanks for the heads up; I'll keep my eye out for these.
Meanwhile there's a 1999 diesel Jetta for sale in my area right now. It looks to have the MK4 body-style. How do I know if this is a 1999.5 model? Could this potentially be the WVO-coveted ALH engine? If so, how would I know?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 115,000+
MacGyver Rating: 5+

I too am/was searching for a car to convert. What I really want is a 03 tdi wagon with a manual transmisson. Iíve pretty much come to the conclusion that if I am able to find one I probably wont convert it as I donít believe I would see any savings for a number of years. Iím starting to give up and have actually been looking at Honda CRVís lately as the awd would be nice in these northern Michigan winters and 25-30mpg is pretty good for what I will be using it for. A new job next month will require a 60 mile round trip commute. Thatís 54 more miles then I currently drive. I will use the EX for awhile but will need another source of veg and am not really comfortable with trusting it to be problem free for 15,000 miles/year. A guy has a 2004 tdi manual for sale for $3500 right now. Itís got 289,000 on the body and 89,000 on a rebuild. New suspension and front end parts. If it were a 03 it would be mine. I still may pull the trigger. Itís 6 hours away though so I am waiting for more pics and recipets.
Iíve had a couple of early 80ís Mercedes TDís that I loved. Michigan rust is a killer though and RWD is not ideal in the winter. Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Gettin Greasy

I had an 03 jetta wagon tdi 5 speed. I thought i wanted to convert to run grease but 700 miles per tank was ridiculous mpg so its what i used as a reason to learn to make biodiesel. Unfortunately a hurricane decided to see if it could make my jetta float and it did.

Tags
car, make, model, wvo, year