BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 94-97 7.3

Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default I'm scared

So last summer I was out doing some tractor work. On the way back to the shop with the tractor my truck all of a sudden overheated. The truck had lost all it's coolant, probably while I was mowing. My phone was dead and I was still about 30 mins from home. I filled the truck up with water bottles and headed out. I was headed home due to overheating myself and getting sick.

Once I got home I had to immediately lay down after unloading the tractor. The next morning we had to rush to the hospital for my son's first delivery practice. The day after that we had to go back and spend 39 hours in labor. I had a full schedule of working the whole month my wife had for maternity leave.

Then her vacation ended and I had to switch to full time stay at home daddy (for two (2) children). For some odd reason any time our relatives watch them everyone winds up playing hot-potato. For this reason family cannot be trusted with my children.

Now I don't know if any of you guys have experience staying at home but I would not wish it on anyone. Thrown in the two kids and my premature bad back (long story in itself), late night potty breaks and diapers, and the need to stay awake for these late occurrences because I sleep like a rock and a 20hr shift gets to be pretty taxing. I have no energy to even think about the things I need to do at the end of the day.

It took me about 13 months to realize what I had done to my truck (I had 3 backups at the time). I do not know if the batteries are toast, they're only 18 months old, but they won't take much charge. It acts like it wants to turn over but also really low battery level. I can get about 10 rotations out of it after charging with the ex for about 30mins.

I'm scared to start taking things apart... What do you guys think? Am I screwed? After the truck sitting that long (and through one of our coldest winters last year) with nothing bur water in the cooling system? Should I bite the bullet and tear in? (on the wife's next day off of course) Or should I start shopping for a engine swap or rebuild kit?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

How much water did you add? Did you see a leak?

The truck will not start with weak batteries. Jumping it with another vehicle idling for even 30min would not be enough to revive totally dead batts.

First things first. Clean the batt terminals using the terminal cleaner tool (~$4) and put them on a charger. Autozone will charge them for free if ya don't have a charger. (Or take them back wherever ya bought them)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=95999_0_0_

The good news is these engines are quite robust. Don't be discouraged yet. Worst case scenario used engines run $1500-2000 and any 7.3 long block from 94-03 will work.

Keep us posted.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jason. Hopefully I can find someone to help push it into the garage. It was completely full of water. Should I be worried about corrosion in the cooling system from the water? I don't remember seeing any leaks.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Gettin Greasy

Cooling system holds 8gals + VO system... Where did the coolant go?

Corrosion isn't the danger, cavitation is the biggest concern - outside freezing... How much did ya drive it and what kind of driving?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior Vegistroker

X2 with what Jason has already said.
The problem could very well be the batteries or even just one.
If you had no a freeze and don't have any leaks the chances are winter didn't crack anything. If so, you are very very lucky... fingers crossed here.
Once you get it running and up to temp if you still have no leaks you should be okay.
A decent battery charge is definately in order to check that. Just jumping doesn't work too well if both batteries or even one is really low.
It would probably be best to just take them both to have charged and checked at the same time.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Veggin OBS

Miles on Grease: 40k
$ Estimated Saved: 8k
MacGyver Rating: 7

I think u should be good. If u can plug it in do so over night or couple days, do an oil change, check and replace all needed filters. Lastly flush ur coolant. Replace with New GOOD coolant. Also just get some new batteries, sitting that long the truck ain't gunna start easy, let alone with dead/weak batteries. Run the glow plugs a few times and turn it over. Also its not uncommon for ur hpop oil to slowly drain back to the pan so it could take awhile to get it to fire.
good luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Ok so this down to one vehicle thing is killing me. I stole the batteries from the ex, primed the dry fuel bowl and she fired right up on the 5th or 6th try!

I pulled it straight into the garage and let it idle for a few minutes, probably should have not. After shutting it down I went to draining the radiator. Nearly dry... The lower hose wasn't even connected (I know for sure I didn't do it so someone must be looking out for me). Took off the rest of the hoses, didn't get to take off the outlet pipe. Everything is rusty as all hell. Tomorrow when the kids are napping I'll be tearing into it more.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Gettin Greasy

Fingers crossed!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

No luck at all with this...

I resealed the oil cooler, started adding water and learned about freeze plugs.

I ordered in new plugs, installed them and went back to adding water. i then found about a 2" square shaped blowout near the passenger side motor mount.

Time for swap. fortunately i found one that may or not be in running condition for $250. it's nearly complete too.