BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > CULTURE AWARDS

Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Gettin Greasy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut View Post
I think I might shift the rules around a bit Maybe what I'll do is focus on the environmentally friendly "accident waiting to happen" aspect of this...
Jay
Just my luck.... Just tonight I purposely went out and stuck my tractor fork through another tote of oil just to win the prize. And now all I would have had to do was take a picture of the leaky hose going to my cf and I could have saved another 200 gal of good oil.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
The vent on my HWH was literally some cheesy looking metal filter that my buddy had given to me. As I was posting my progress pics of my buildup on powerstroke.org Clay kindly pointed out just how dumb this was, since if I ever left my pump running too long, it would fill the HWH and blow out the top! Yeah Yeah Yeah Clay, whatever, sure it can happen, but what are the chances of that? Well even though Clay TOLD me it would eventually happen, it happened VERY soon after... I wish now I had snagged a pic of it for this. I forgot to open the valve on my "level" so I thought the level was still low. As soon as I realized the valve was closed, I cracked it open, my level tube shot up as fast as I could blink and almost simultaneously WVO sprayed out of that little filter like Ol Faithful.... I shut it off as quick as I could but it didn't matter, it was a MESS. To this day my HWH is still coated in a sticky layer of half

The next day I took the filter off, went and bought the clear plastic tubing and routed it back to the holding tank so in the event it overfills it just spills back into the holding tank.....

What really makes this so funny is I already lived it AND told you how to avoid it... And you repeated it!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
What really makes this so funny is I already lived it AND told you how to avoid it... And you repeated it!!
Yes. Rub it in Clay.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

I'm not gonna win an award, but this 20-25gal spill really hurt my feelings. See, I got a FULL 275 gal tote of absolutely freakin' gorgeous oil. I swear you could read a newspaper at the bottom of this oil. It was clear, barely even golden. I would seriously pump this thru filters (for the hell of it) and into my trucks....

So, how did I spill it? Well, as with all disasters, it was a series of mistakes that lead to catastrophe. First, I was doing at least 4 other things while making the tote to tote transfer with my new SBC oil pump. I figured it would take 30-45 min's and I have alot to do - so I dropped the suction hose in the FULL TO THE BRIM 275 gal tote and the discharge in the 275 gal tote in the 'grease shed'. The tote in the grease shed has 20-25 gals in it. At first, I am outside, near the grease shed picking stuff up, then spraying some weed killer, messing with the 2 damn gas-powered pumps I have that aren't working and at some point I decide to stick the suction hose at the BOTTOM of the full tote, instead of 'safely' 30ish gals OFF the bottom where I ORIGINALLY put it!!! Then I go upstairs and refill my sweet tea - yes, I wasn't even drinking yet!! Then Mom came over and I'm talking to her, looking out the window watching the level drop in the tote I can see outside. Soon, I had this really bad feeling come over me... I reluctantly go downstairs and sure enough there is 1.5" of oil across the whole 12ft x 12ft floor of the shed and oil is running out the back like a waterfall. Beautiful, CLEAR, new-looking oil that is. There is a large puddle, prolly a few gallons in a depression around a post and most of the 12ft of back of shed have oil laying on top of the ground. Ya know, I bet theres 100 gals of CRAP oil laying around here - I wouldn't care to spill all of that shit - but this is literally a end-of-the-rainbow score of oil. Dammit. My friend Kirk had a point, the schwag oil likely STINKS and even though I put vinyl on floor of shed, this stuff surely soaked into some places the smell would never have come out of.

Oh, I started drinking shortly after. Btw, this all seems quite legible now...

I've had worse spills over the years, I think I just needed an excuse for drinking!!

One more thing, after being surprisingly absent - my dog is usually like my shadow - Daisy shows up with her whole face coated in oil. I've been less messy after doing beer bongs! She has clearly enjoyed oil 'till she was FULL. I fed her earlier and this is the first time I have EVER seen this dog turn food down! I hope she's alright - meanwhile, I think she might have to sleep out on the deck, just in case she has some unexpected, unintentional releases over nite... I know she's had oil before, but she never had access like this! She usually licks the gravel clean if I spill a little - but no big, deep puddles she could apparently stick 1/2 her head into!!

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

That sucks Jay...

With "virgin" oil like that I'm surprised you mix it with the "bottom of the tote" oil that was in the shed. I understand it was probably a necessary evil... but geesh.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Toepfer View Post
That sucks Jay...

With "virgin" oil like that I'm surprised you mix it with the "bottom of the tote" oil that was in the shed. I understand it was probably a necessary evil... but geesh.
Yes, it hurt to mix it but this stuff is sooo light it will end up on top. Its 95% fat that was in tote... I have a floating suction that will transfer this oil to an elevated container to feed CF.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 160,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 6

This won't win any award but it was time to clean the garage and figured I would snap a few pics before changing my back-splash cardboard and degrease the floor from many minor spills. In case anyone is wondering, I preheat and settle in the top barrel to 150 for 24hrs. then gravity feed through a sock filter (yes an old sock on the end of the hose) into the lower barrel for the centrifuge. The bottom barrel has a heating element that I raise the temp to 180-200 and cycle 40 gal. for 4 hrs. This method allows me to pull my oil year round with the sucker tank and dump it into the top barrel when it's thick w/o the need of a barrel filter. This has worked well for me as a solution to pho in cold temps. The top barrel only gets cruddy enough in the bottom to necessitate a good cleanout 2-3 times a yr. the bottom barrel oil is clean enough to not clog the prescreen in the cf pump and let me run the oc20 for a full 4hrs. w/o overfilling the cf bowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grease.jpg (93.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg veggie still.jpg (93.1 KB, 16 views)
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"
Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 AM

Miles on Grease: 150,000
$ Estimated Saved: $40,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.006

I can't believe I'm jockeying for my own culture award... the first one ever, nonetheless.

So... nice sunny day today.... a few projects needed doing around the garage.

So, I started dinking around... used my X to run around town, picking up a few things here and there... solving this, fixing that... running more errands to solve the other things... (you all know how that goes...)

And at the end of my afternoon I notice that the pressure is falling in my system. No problem... I'm already grimey... I'll just quick change out my veggie filter.

I take out my spill pan... I spin off the old filter... I spin on the new filter. I put away my spill pan.

I decide to get ahead of the curve, and purge the air out of the system while the oil is still HOT (purging oil when the oil is COLD shortens filter life, I have learned through the years)...

Truck won't gain pressure. I hear the pump burbling, but it won't BITE.

"CHRIST" I think to myself... "This low-pressure gremlin hit MY system now"....

I decide that it must be an air bubble. I've had stubborn ones before. So I keep at it. Keep purging. Keep letting go. Pump won't bite.

I get out of the truck... and see the lake forming underneath.

Turns out I didn't see that the OLD filter (when it spun off) managed to shed the O-Ring gasket... and left it hanging on the fuel filter threads. So when I spun the new one on, I managed to half-ass squish the old O ring in there.... it never sealed.

In fact, in that photo... that's the O-ring in the lower-right corner of my driveway.

Tried to back out the truck so that the tires wouldn't hit the grease marks, but no joy.

All I could do is grab my camera and try to save myself $50.

(It's a small one.... but so far it's the only one with photographic proof).

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1793.jpg (50.1 KB, 22 views)
-VegiStroke V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Dodge Cummins - VEGIRAM
-Prototype V4 VegiRam - 40,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Caterpillar 3126E/C7 - VEGICAT
-Frankenstein-ized V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

1974 Human Wife
2002 Human Son

<Shameless plug>
Support BFT and these forums: purchase your bag and spin-on filters from our on-line store: BFT On-Line Store
</Shameless plug>
Old 08-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

lol, that sucks. I can't believe I've never lost an o-ring on any of my Donaldsons... very suprising.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Miles on Grease: 150,000
$ Estimated Saved: $40,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.006

Because I really didn't get anything really GOOD... I am taking the advice of my moderators and rolling the previous month's culture award into THIS month's culture award.

This means that we're combining last month's $50 award with THIS month's $50 award... and giving out a $100 gift certificate at the end of this month for the worst oil spill or worst accident about to happen.

Ante has been upped to $100, folks... post some pics and claim your prize.

(Heck, for $100 drive over to your friends house and pour grease all over his garage and snap a photo of it).

Jay
-VegiStroke V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Dodge Cummins - VEGIRAM
-Prototype V4 VegiRam - 40,000 miles (and counting)

2004 Caterpillar 3126E/C7 - VEGICAT
-Frankenstein-ized V4 - 30,000 miles (and counting)

1974 Human Wife
2002 Human Son

<Shameless plug>
Support BFT and these forums: purchase your bag and spin-on filters from our on-line store: BFT On-Line Store
</Shameless plug>