BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 02:24 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Questions after finished install

Hey folks,

Just finished my new V4 install a few weeks ago and have some questions:

1) I've been having inconsistencies with the system reaching temp and staying at temp. Examples: drove the 15 miles home from work yesterday and it didn't reach temp once. Drove 100 miles this morning, on the way there the system reached temp quickly and stayed for about 15 miles, then shut off for about 20 miles, then came back on and stayed on. On the return journey system came on in about 5 miles and stayed on the whole way. Weather was in the 40s-50s both days. Any thoughts on the system turning itself on and off because of temp or not reaching temp at all?

2) Along a similar line, I'm thinking about getting an aux. water pump. Any of you had success with this or recommendations on a pump? I was also thinking about ditching the T's and going straight from the motor to the manifold with the coolant lines. So there would be one giant coolant loop. Would that completely starve the heater core of any heat by the time the coolant got there?

3) My pressure gauge reads around 75 psi when the pump is off then it maxes out at 100+ psi when the system turns on. Is that typical or should I adjust the pressure regulator?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Adjust veg pressure to 65 to 70 psi. Yes a recirc coolant pump will help. eBay is where most get the pumps.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Gettin Greasy

If you don't use the coolant "T" then you will never be able to use your ac. There is a valve that opens to allow coolant to your heater core which is operated by the temperature dial.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 8500
$ Estimated Saved: 1165 and counting

Yes on the coolant pump. I got one off Ebay that was for an old Mercedes. As far as when the system turns on, what are the air temps? If it's super cold in the am it would take longer for the system to get to temp?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Gettin Greasy

Living in Wi I have battled cold temps from the beginning. In the winter most of my driving is below +10* F. I have tried all of the latest and greatest ideas and most work to some degree. The Aux. coolant pump is a good addition, however at my temps it will take 15 miles to liquify enough to move the oil. Remember at 0*F you can pack the oil like a snowball and pile them up, so it takes a lot of heat. One thing I did was to keep the tank about 1/4 full of oil. Less to heat but of course that has its own issues. The best thing I did was to purchase a "frost plug heater" which has a thermostat for $25 and cut a hole in the lower side of the tank and install the heater. I hooked it up to a timer and had it come on about 2 hrs. before I start the truck. Even with a full tank you can feel the tank after 2 hrs and it is hot. As soon as your truck thermostat opens you will be on oil. It costs less then a quarter to heat your oil every day, well worth it. This has worked good down to -27*F.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGREASER View Post
Living in Wi I have battled cold temps from the beginning. In the winter most of my driving is below +10* F. I have tried all of the latest and greatest ideas and most work to some degree. The Aux. coolant pump is a good addition, however at my temps it will take 15 miles to liquify enough to move the oil. Remember at 0*F you can pack the oil like a snowball and pile them up, so it takes a lot of heat. One thing I did was to keep the tank about 1/4 full of oil. Less to heat but of course that has its own issues. The best thing I did was to purchase a "frost plug heater" which has a thermostat for $25 and cut a hole in the lower side of the tank and install the heater. I hooked it up to a timer and had it come on about 2 hrs. before I start the truck. Even with a full tank you can feel the tank after 2 hrs and it is hot. As soon as your truck thermostat opens you will be on oil. It costs less then a quarter to heat your oil every day, well worth it. This has worked good down to -27*F.
can you post pictures in the v3 Facebook group of where you installed it?? I was thinking about doing this even for 30-60 degree temps but not sure if the block heater is just as good or not?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 257,000
MacGyver Rating: 5+

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdsmith794 View Post
Hey folks,

Just finished my new V4 install a few weeks ago and have some questions:

1) I've been having inconsistencies with the system reaching temp and staying at temp. Examples: drove the 15 miles home from work yesterday and it didn't reach temp once. Drove 100 miles this morning, on the way there the system reached temp quickly and stayed for about 15 miles, then shut off for about 20 miles, then came back on and stayed on. On the return journey system came on in about 5 miles and stayed on the whole way. Weather was in the 40s-50s both days. Any thoughts on the system turning itself on and off because of temp or not reaching temp at all?

2) Along a similar line, I'm thinking about getting an aux. water pump. Any of you had success with this or recommendations on a pump? I was also thinking about ditching the T's and going straight from the motor to the manifold with the coolant lines. So there would be one giant coolant loop. Would that completely starve the heater core of any heat by the time the coolant got there?

3) My pressure gauge reads around 75 psi when the pump is off then it maxes out at 100+ psi when the system turns on. Is that typical or should I adjust the pressure regulator?
You definitely want to back your pump pressure down to the 70ís. I like 75 but somewhere is that range is good. Your system is not operating normally. Iíve had temps in the 30ís lately and my system comes on and stays on within 5 miles. Something is not working right. If you can share anymore symptoms, that would be helpful. Iíll give this some thought in the meantime.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 257,000
MacGyver Rating: 5+

It was 25 degrees out yesterday morning. I fired up the truck and let it warm up for maybe 10mins (longer then usual). I leave the block heater plugged in while it's warming up which really helps. At 2.1miles of driving the system came on and stayed on. If I only let it warm up for a few minutes it takes about 3.4 miles before it turns on.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default what type of driving are you doing

In denver, if its stop and go traffic and all you do is idle to the next stop light, trucks take a bit to warm up. if you job on highway and start heading up hills, trucks switch fast. I also have longer switch over times if truck sits a day or two. will your truck switch over to veg just sitting and idling?

i am have been running my truck that has homemade veg system for a few months, i messed up my truck with the v3. i sprung the drivers door while warming up in the garage so I haven't been dealing with v3 for a bit. i also replaced engine fuel lines and they had leaky issues and my other fuel system truck is a crew cab which has been nice for more room.

Tags
coolant, pressure gauge, pump, temp, temperature