BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > Introduce Yourself Here

Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default E350 Van

Greetings from Angola,
I just bought the V4 for my E350 Econoline. I work offshore and am excited to get home to the Pacific Northwest and instal it. If any of you out there have any "does and donts" or helpful advice BEFORE I start this project, please chime in. Any heads up would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new system! We've had a few van installs around here, hopefully some of them will chime in for ya. Meanwhile, read the install instructions and stare under the hood (when ya get home) - then ask as many questions as you like. We are happy to help!

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

vegicat just got done doing a van install I believe. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: alot
MacGyver Rating: 8

I did a dyi install on a 2001. Also did a check valve relocate which I can recomend with the SS hose up-grade from Veggie Garage.com. the rest is follow the install instructions. Every thing under the hood will take longer than a superduty install. Glad to offer any insight Bruce
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Do the engine check valves and hoses LAST. First step install tank..2nd step install V4...3rd run the harnesses and wiring....then onto the heater hoses. Install heater hoses and fuel lines from the tank to V4 and up to the engine.See my site for brass coolant t's. In a year or 4 the plastic ones may fail. They may even fail during the install if you over tighten the hose clamps distorting the plastic t's. Find a place in the fuel hose and coolant hose bundle and tie wrap one section so fuel and coolant hoses are secured together. Then remove the bundle you just made. Lay it out on the floor so you can do a neat job of wrapping the hoses with insulation. If you contact me I can tell you where to get the insulation (armaflex) or I stock it. If you want a really neat install then slip the bundle into 2 and 1/2 inch commercial water hose for abrasion protection. We stock that also.

The last step should be the engine veggie hoses and check valves. That way you can still drive the van during the install. IF you install check valves first without finishing the install the van will be hard starting and run like crap.

My installs take at least 3 days because I am careful with all these steps. IF after I install the bundle and see that it may be better over or under some bracket I take it back out and do it right. That means not being on the side of the road in the rain with wife and kids in van wondering why you did this a year or 2 from now.

You can call me anytime at the shop for help. Dave and The Growing Veggiegarage Team.

Last edited by AzDave; 07-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
My installs take at least 3.

I can't imagine doing that, I'd go crazy, lol.

+1 on reading the install directions and walking yourself through what Dave just told you. Some "dry runs" don't hurt. Start spraying bolts now and find some friends to help. They don't have to do anything important... but it is good to have a couple sets of hands on deck in the event that you need to be 2 places at once, or someone needs to do a beer run.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

I never said I was not crazy.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
I never said I was not crazy.
Just waiting for the right truck so I can throw a bunch of money your way.