BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Vegistroker

Default Gelatin to clean really bad oil?

From lifehacker

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of The Food Lab breaks down how and why this technique works in the link below, but Iím going to go ahead and share this game-changing method with you. First, let your oil cool, so as not to burn your precious self. Pour some water into a pot and sprinkle with gelatin. (Youíll need half a cup of water and a teaspoon of powdered gelatin for every quart of oil you plan on clarifying.) Let the gelatin bloom for a few minutes and then bring the water to a simmer, stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Add the dissolved gelatin to your dirty, filthy oil, and stir, stir, stir. Cover it all up and place in the fridge overnight. The oil will float to the top, leaving behind all sorts of burnt bits and gunk in a neat gelatin disk. Pour it off, discard the disk of doom that remains, and use your clarified oil to fry up something tasty.

I think this could work for removing the junk from really bad oil. What you think?[/b]
2002 F-250 325,000 miles, 126,000 on WVO, Greasecar conversion, 20 FPHE, water injection, DIY fuel bowl delete, Straight Piped, CAT ELC, 203* therm, aux coolant pump, ext coolant filter, Beans Diesel fuel sump, ZERO grease related problems.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkh View Post
From lifehacker

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of The Food Lab breaks down how and why this technique works in the link below, but Iím going to go ahead and share this game-changing method with you. First, let your oil cool, so as not to burn your precious self. Pour some water into a pot and sprinkle with gelatin. (Youíll need half a cup of water and a teaspoon of powdered gelatin for every quart of oil you plan on clarifying.) Let the gelatin bloom for a few minutes and then bring the water to a simmer, stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Add the dissolved gelatin to your dirty, filthy oil, and stir, stir, stir. Cover it all up and place in the fridge overnight. The oil will float to the top, leaving behind all sorts of burnt bits and gunk in a neat gelatin disk. Pour it off, discard the disk of doom that remains, and use your clarified oil to fry up something tasty.

I think this could work for removing the junk from really bad oil. What you think?[/b]
Might work fine but the refer part. Hard to do a large quantity unless you have a walk in refer.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Vegistroker

Ahh, yes. Because the gelatin has to get cold to set.
2002 F-250 325,000 miles, 126,000 on WVO, Greasecar conversion, 20 FPHE, water injection, DIY fuel bowl delete, Straight Piped, CAT ELC, 203* therm, aux coolant pump, ext coolant filter, Beans Diesel fuel sump, ZERO grease related problems.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkh View Post
Ahh, yes. Because the gelatin has to get cold to set.
Would work fine in a 55 gal. barrel in my shop during winter. It gets to upper 30s in there but never freezes.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

I wonder if you need the gelatin to 'set' in order for this to work?

In my experiments, mist washing is the most effective way to filter and dewater WVO. Spraying water over hot WVO works because the water droplets fall straight to the bottom of the oil - 'grabbing' any food particles, etc on the way by. I was able to dewater oil that I could never get to pass HPT after multiple heat and settle cycles by mist washing...