BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 105,000
MacGyver Rating: pffft
Default Building a new setup

Well I bought an Absolute a few months ago and was using it by pressuring a HW tank to 20lbs and adjusting a ball valve for the feed. Worked OK but was complicated. I know eventually the pressure would come back to haunt me. (I already have proof of that from my previous pressure system on my garage walls and ceiling )

Decided to revamp the system to gravity feed as recommended by multiple people here and this is what I came up with. Starting to plumb everything this weekend so feel free to suggest anything.

Centrifuge sketch

Using a 6 ft scaffold with two planks. Top plank will hold the feed barrel, next plank will hold the centrifuge and serve as a shelf to store "stuff". Never can have enough room for "stuff". Tote to go under second shelf for clean oil. System starts with a small 30 gal barrel for heating with bucket heaters when needed and its easier to pour into. Pump from the small barrel to the 55 gal barrel fitted with 400-600 mic drum filter. Pump up to feed barrel. Feed barrel will have a ball valve then a gate valve on the feed side so I can set the gate valve for flow then shut the flow on and off with the ball valve. (will prob have to adjust gate valve some but will have a pretty close flow point to start with each time)

Looking for suggestions on pumps. I need pump(s) for pumping up to the feed barrel and also pumping from the tote to the truck. (approx 50 ft) Preferably 3/4" since I already have fuel nozzle and hose in 3/4. Also, how air tight are these plastic barrels? Will I need a vent the feed barrel to fill/drain?

If it walks like a duck.....
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Gettin Greasy

I H&S in the HWH and push it up to the feed barrel with air pressure. You will need small vent holes in the top of the feed barrel.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Senior Vegistroker

So it begins......

Have decided to not use a tote for now. Will be picking up the filter/settling barrel tomorrow. Still no decision on pump(s). Totally over thinking this I'm sure.

The 15 gal barrels are my travel barrels. I use them if I travel further than a tank full. They're easy to handle and the 15 gal increments makes it easy to only take what I need.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Small set back today when I went to get my settling barrel. Had planned to get a lined steel barrel but they only had unlined. I opted for a blue plastic. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Found out when I got home thaqt my barrel filters will not fit.

First picture is the ball and gate valve feed. Placed a barb up top and will use it for my vent/overflow. Second pic is the barrel my drum filters will not fit. grrrrrr..... Third picture is everything in place except the hoses. Last picture is my new toy. heh

Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 17,776
$ Estimated Saved: $4863
MacGyver Rating: 7.77

for that vent in your feed barrel, you might want to put a hose on it...take it up to the same height as the top of the barrel, then run it down to a 5 gallon bucket...then if you ever overfill it, it has somewhere to go...
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod