BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > Introduce Yourself Here

Old 06-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 5
Default Couple steps from placing my V3 deposit and joining the family!

Greetings All,

It's taking my family about 18 months to reach this point but we finally feel confident in our decision, the product we will be installing on our precious truck, the company who will be producing it and the community we will join.

VEGISTROKE!

As soon as we can finish connecting the dots, we're placing the deposit on the V3 kit. The day dreaming has begun. Since the V3 kit does not include everything needed to make this conversion possible for our particular truck - we need to figure out what we need to do so we can move forward confidently.

1997 Ford F250 7.3L Turbo with Dual Tanks

1. I know that I need to convert from a mechanical fuel pump to an eletrical fuel pump (bypass fuel and pump) but what is needed other than the mechanical fuel pump and the tubing?

Roy w/ BFT said that I could use OEM parts from Ford but I thought I would something along the lines of the Scorpion or Raptor.

2. I'm going to convert the rear tank eventually but after the conversion is done. Where can I get the heating element for the tank aside from GFS? They said all they needed from me was a measurement of the inside of tank.

3. I've read that I need to purchase rolls of insulation, pipe insulation and wire ties that are not included in the kit.

4. Filter heaters no longer needed? I saw somewhere they were removed from the kit.

We're looking forward to making this leap and burning veg!

Thank You,

Pete
Old 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

I see your in S. FL, you dont need any roll insulation for your lines or a filter heater. other than that, the OBS guys will have to answer the other questions for you.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

If your weather is anything like Hawaii, you won't need the filter heater or tank heater. I've been running my v2 like that for awhile. The V3 has more heat than the v2.

Are you getting the in bed tank + using your 2nd D2 tank?

The only concern I have for you is how much do you plan on driving North? I'd have the RDS tank plumbed for heat just in case you do.

BTW...... Not to rub it in.............In 18 months you could have saved at least $5200.00 in fuel (more than the price of the kit).

Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thanks, Clay!

I do live in South Florida but our ultimate goal is to be on the road a year and we plan on going everywhere.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: y=Mx+b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
Are you getting the in bed tank + using your 2nd D2 tank

If I am not mistaken, the OEM tanks are steel. I think it was 2003 where they switched to poly.

Even if you decide to not use a heated tank, I'd look closely at the ramifications of putting WVO in a steel tank. It would probably be safer to use an aluminum in bed tank.

Welcome to the fray.
2006 F350 CC KR SRW - V3 SSB Mantis Pump Head
Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Hey Hawaiian,

I'm going to get a bed tank but I'm going to use a transfer tank instead of an aux tank. Long distance is a main point so having the on-board fuel is a necessity. We'replanning to collect / filter as we go.

$5200 in 18 months? I didn't know the kit came with salt in the wounds, ouch. I'm just glad that we didn't rush and make a bad decision with another company.

I called and emailed RDS but they didn't get back to me. I started looking around at DIY ideas and considering putting my own together in hopes of mounting a filter in it, keeping one upright will be a pain otherwise.

Do you know how they plumb for heat on those? Could I use a heater like the plan for my rear tank? Only recently considered this so a bit new to the idea.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 2

Pete, I got two RDS tanks at Northern Tool for a friend and my conversion. We put our own hot foxes in and level guages, and it wasn't that hard of a job. Don't know if you have a Nortern Tool near you, but the RDS site may have a locator site on what stores near you sell their aluminum tanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thanks Zooman - I wouldn't mind putting my own together as you said but unfortunately I do not have a Northern Tool close to me so I'd have to order online - and I'm still wrapping my head around how to heat the veg in the transfer tank.

Hey Roboto, yeah the tanks on my '97 are steel. I have a dual tank system so one diesel, one veg. I know the veg tank will have issues eventually but I can convert that tank to aluminum or plastic deeper into this conversion.

I'm really trying to figure out "what else" I need along with the V3 kit to complete the install and burn veg.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Unapologetically American

$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturkeypete View Post

Hey Roboto, yeah the tanks on my '97 are steel. I have a dual tank system so one diesel, one veg. I know the veg tank will have issues eventually but I can convert that tank to aluminum or plastic deeper into this conversion.
Your asking for a headache of epic proportion.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

How so? We're open to suggestion so if converting an on-board fuel tank is the wrong way to go please let me know.

I had spoken with people that led me to assume I could purchase an aluminum tank. GFS had said that all they needed was a depth measurement for the heater.

I was hoping this would be as easy as dropping and replacing the rear tank under the spare (which I need to anyways), installing the heater and switching out the lines but everything has been loaded with surprises.

Thanks!