BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Wilson, it only takes 5 minutes to run the oil through but i run it through for more like 30- 45 minutes...repeatedly. might be something for you to think about.
I figure it's going thru 1u so that is probably comparable to a few passes in a 5u bag?

Live by the grease, die by the grease
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I figure it's going thru 1u so that is probably comparable to a few passes in a 5u bag?
Well if your still is designed as mine is - and maybe its not - the oil is pulled from the bottom, passes through the filter and is reintroduced into the top of the tank. So if you run the pump 5 minutes, you have basically pulled 46 gallons (you drained 3-4 gallons off) through the filter (depending on the delivery rate of your pump). Since the clean oil is being mixed back into the dirty oil i don't think one pass will get all of the oil clean. Not sure how to explain what I'm thinking... I usually turn on the pump to start the cycle and i watch the pressure gauge for the first 5 minutes - thats when you will usually see any pressure rise from the bag getting dirty - and then i walk away and go do something else for a half hour...sometimes i might get busy doing something else and the pump will run longer than a half hour. So i repeatedly cycle the oil several times...unneccesary? Maybe.
If you were filtering and returning the oil to a separate container, the 5 minutes cycle would be a different story.
Does that make any sense at all?
This is the way C. Goodwin designed the still and i think its legit. I think he actually runs his 1 hour and that maybe overkill. It also depends how fast your pump moves the oil. My pump is rated at 16 GPM and with the oil (thicker than water) i think it maybe actually moving about 13 GPM so about 3.5 minutes to move 46 gallons through the filter. So in 30 minutes the oil has made over 8 passes through the filter. If your using the little blue pump from Harbor Freight, those deliver at less than half the rate of my pump so a longer cycle would be needed to accomplish the same result.

Last edited by Clay; 10-03-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Vegistroker

I follow you. But like you mentioned I have my setup slightly different. Oil goes from my 25u filtered dirty oil tank, pumped into the heated tank. HEated/settled then pumped thru 1u into storage drum(s). Then my fill rite pump gets it into the truck or whatever as I need.

I could probably valve it up so I can have the fill rite diesel pump draw it through the 1u canister one last time before being burned...giving it 2 passes.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Vegistroker

How long are the #4 bags lasting for everyone? I've been using #2 with gravity filtering and it just takes too long. I was going to get a #2 housing, but they obviously cost a lot more. If the #4 bags last long enough, I'd be happy to save the $300.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
How long are the #4 bags lasting for everyone? I've been using #2 with gravity filtering and it just takes too long. I was going to get a #2 housing, but they obviously cost a lot more. If the #4 bags last long enough, I'd be happy to save the $300.
clay and others will be able to answer you better, but I would say it depends what your micron (u) filtering from and to. Starting from 100u and going to 1u canister bags you will be changing more often. I personally go from 25u filtered oil to 1u canister bag. I'm hoping to get over 150gal thru it this way per bag?? but I really have no idea.

that 300bux you save will buy LOTS of bags and I would say it depends on how much oil you burn too.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
that 300bux you save will buy LOTS of bags and I would say it depends on how much oil you burn too.
Yeah, I guess that's a pretty simple way to look at it. I was thinking that I'd be able to get down to 1u with the larger housing without increasing pressure much, but it sounds like you're already doing that with good success.

Are you using the same housing as Clay from McMaster?

Thanks,
Shane

BTW - I see that you are in NNJ... how is the oil supply in your area? I currently travel all the way to SNJ to my only source (about 1.5 hours each way).
Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Vegistroker

Default Thanks Clay

Before I forget, I want to say thanks Clay for posting this thread. I've been wanting to put together a version of the "still" design from the other site for some time and your pictures helped a lot.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
Yeah, I guess that's a pretty simple way to look at it. I was thinking that I'd be able to get down to 1u with the larger housing without increasing pressure much, but it sounds like you're already doing that with good success.

Are you using the same housing as Clay from McMaster?

Thanks,
Shane

BTW - I see that you are in NNJ... how is the oil supply in your area? I currently travel all the way to SNJ to my only source (about 1.5 hours each way).
The oil is great up here!

No, I got the one with 1" ports since my pump has 1" ports. 3/4" would save some money on valves, or you could step it down...6 of one or 1/2 doz of the other

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

I need to update my pics as i have made changes to the "still"....maybe i'll do that sometime this month
with my process i can get countless gallons through a #4 filter bag, If i had to guess i would say about 350-500. It all depends on your settling time and how much snot you drain off after...once you do that, there is little left to plug a filter bag.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 130,000 and counting!
$ Estimated Saved: Lost count - a lot!
MacGyver Rating: 8ish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
I need to update my pics as i have made changes to the "still"....maybe i'll do that sometime this month
with my process i can get countless gallons through a #4 filter bag, If i had to guess i would say about 350-500. It all depends on your settling time and how much snot you drain off after...once you do that, there is little left to plug a filter bag.

Same here on the bags. I was telling Clay on the phone this weekend that I finally checked mine last week and was really surprised. I figured it'd be gunked up after about 250 gallons, but it was only an "off-white" color...really no major debris and trash to speak of. Surprised me...

I also use the #4 bags with the same McMaster housing Clay has.

Works great!
2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold