BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: y=Mx+b

Clay,

Does this setup completely replace the "still" you posted about in September of '08?

http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/...read.php?t=236
2006 F350 CC KR SRW - V3 SSB Mantis Pump Head
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

I've spoken with Clay several times about how he filters (because it would certainly appear that he has a solid understanding of how to filter), and yes, the gravity fed CF has replaced his still.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
Clay,

Does this setup completely replace the "still" you posted about in September of '08?

http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/...read.php?t=236
Yes I replaced my still with the fuge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I've spoken with Clay several times about how he filters (because it would certainly appear that he has a solid understanding of how to filter), and yes, the gravity fed CF has replaced his still.
Well thank you... yes the CF is the new Henry house WVO filter.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

Someday, there will be one in the Snake household also.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: y=Mx+b

Clay,

First I wanted to let you know that I am completely plagiarizing your system. No worries, check's in the mail for all the knowledge transfer.

I bought this about the same time I ordered the V3, and it should arrive soon:

http://www.wvodesigns.com/store/wvo-...entrifuge.html

And want to get it running prior to my V3 arrival so I can hit the ground running. I have plenty of WVO, but have never been overly concerned about filtering because it gets taken care of when I convert to BD. Now, I need things a little cleaner...

You mention that you expected 15 GPH flow. Is this what you actually get? Are you running 3450 RPMs, 6000, ? Mine's at 6000 but can be slowed down with the controller. I'm worried about the "brownies" post you made the other day in my system spinning at 6K RPMs and me inside watching Oprah and eating bon bons while this thing self destructs.

Do you know if things like boil out make it past the fuge?

Do you do anything post-fuge, like a final water block or anything before you pump it into your truck?

Do you have to heat the top barrel in weather like this to get it to flow fast enough?

Big question, knowing what you know now, would you make any changes?

Thanks again for all the support!
2006 F350 CC KR SRW - V3 SSB Mantis Pump Head
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
Clay,

First I wanted to let you know that I am completely plagiarizing your system. No worries, check's in the mail for all the knowledge transfer.
No worries, i copied much of my design from Ben Fastcoats setup.
I bought this about the same time I ordered the V3, and it should arrive soon:

http://www.wvodesigns.com/store/wvo-...entrifuge.html

And want to get it running prior to my V3 arrival so I can hit the ground running. I have plenty of WVO, but have never been overly concerned about filtering because it gets taken care of when I convert to BD. Now, I need things a little cleaner...

You mention that you expected 15 GPH flow. Is this what you actually get? Are you running 3450 RPMs, 6000, ? Mine's at 6000 but can be slowed down with the controller. I'm worried about the "brownies" post you made the other day in my system spinning at 6K RPMs and me inside watching Oprah and eating bon bons while this thing self destructs.
My fuge is running 3450 rpms and i ended up with a flow rate of 8-10 gal. per hour to get the oil dry and clean in one pass. The Brownies i experienced was alarming to me as well. The CF was becoming unbalances and would have raised some serious hell had i not caught it when i first heard the unusual vibration. My suggestion is, do not leave it alone for any long period of time. I have before and once that proved to be a bad thing. Not a tradgedy but not good. Now when i run my oil, i remain in the shop while its on so i can hear it - if anything goes wrong, you will know by the sounds of things.
I turn it on and work on another project that i have in the works, periodically checking the temp. of my oil and making adjustments to that.

Do you know if things like boil out make it past the fuge?
The fuge is "suposedly" able to remove boil out. Sodium hydroxid is hydroscopig and attaches itself to the water, the fuge pulls all the water out and thus should be pulling the sodium hydroxide with it.Do you do anything post-fuge, like a final water block or anything before you pump it into your truck?
No, but i do pour the oil into my prefilter barrel through a 400 micron screen and then allow it to settle untill I'm ready to CF it. This time frame maybe2 days to 2 weeks...and it does help.
Do you have to heat the top barrel in weather like this to get it to flow fast enough?
No i dont but my shop never gets below 40*f and most times its warmer than that so its not an issue.
Big question, knowing what you know now, would you make any changes?
No, not really, my setup works pretty flawlessly.
Thanks again for all the support!
Your welcome!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Vegistroker

I have the WVO design Centrifuge and I works REALLY well. I use to filter though a 25 mircon bag then a 5 mircon bag and I would only get about 3,125 miles and now with the centrifuge I get about 25,000 plus miles. The only thing is just the other week I overheated the heater and melted the steel pipe and lost 70 gallons of oil all over the floor (my wife was not happy) and at 3 in the morning when I finished cleaning up I was not happy. I got a block in the inlet pipe into the bowl and the heater failed and normally I check it every 20 min or so but the other night forgot I was running it and after 4.5 hours did check. Must say when I opened the gauge door and watched the oil run down the driveway and street I was not happy and thought my street would kill me, but washed most of it way.

So in short I works really well but with any centrifuge you must check on it to see how it is doing. I now have a replacement part and I am up and working again. Everyone should have one.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lobster View Post
I have the WVO design Centrifuge and I works REALLY well. I use to filter though a 25 mircon bag then a 5 mircon bag and I would only get about 3,125 miles and now with the centrifuge I get about 25,000 plus miles. The only thing is just the other week I overheated the heater and melted the steel pipe and lost 70 gallons of oil all over the floor (my wife was not happy) and at 3 in the morning when I finished cleaning up I was not happy. I got a block in the inlet pipe into the bowl and the heater failed and normally I check it every 20 min or so but the other night forgot I was running it and after 4.5 hours did check. Must say when I opened the gauge door and watched the oil run down the driveway and street I was not happy and thought my street would kill me, but washed most of it way.

So in short I works really well but with any centrifuge you must check on it to see how it is doing. I now have a replacement part and I am up and working again. Everyone should have one.
Holy crap! Thats one big oil spil...but i gotta ask, how did you melt a steel pipe?
I hope you took pics of the spill, that would be an all time winner i think!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Vegistroker

At 10:30 at night and me falling on my ass when I realized I forgot and ran to the gauge and slipping over and gauge filled with smoke I can't say taking a photo was my first thought. Now I realize it should have been.

I still have the heating element with a hole in it, in fact I have the new one but have not taken off the old and put it on. Will have to soon as a friend gets 100 gallons a month to put though his furnace at this business.

If you ever need proof just ask my VERY understand wife. I have had the odd spill in 2 years or doing this but I have to say the other night just about killed me and the idea of selling it crossed my mind until the morning (even after 2.5 hours sleep), when I got in my truck and was happy again I do not pay for gas as much as others.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 AM

I would have considered setting fire to it and claiming insanity... Holy hell...