BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 0 so far
$ Estimated Saved: 0 so far
MacGyver Rating: 4
Default Please help!!!

An excerpt from my general discussion thread...

....... I talked to a guy who does conversions in Austin, and has been doing the Veg thing for 10 years. He told me my CF on one tank idea was not going to happen. I think he's right, but we reeeeeeeeaaaally don't want to drag a trailer around, so we might just put that money into increasing the fuel economy for now. It would also give some time to see how these scorpion pumps are going to work out.

For what it's worth, just in case any of you know him, it's mike at conscious conversions here in austin.

his points:
1. All pumps used to power a centrifuge are going to use 500watts or so. This, at 12v is a battery killer. Option, belt driven power steering pump....little to no room in van engine compartment.......so, probably not so much an option. Other option shore power (probably only option)
Oh yeah. With belt driven, you're burning fuel to filter fuel and at 3 hours of filtration for 30 gallons...and at 15mpg that's a significant amount of fuel. If that's diesel we're running, the ROI on a system like this draws out even further.

2. Then there's this
http://www.votechusa.com/ViscosityGraph.htm
this graph states that at 160 degrees which is the temperature the oil sits at in the fuel reservoir right before the injectors, the viscosity is about 10 times that of diesel. I would think for best operation and longevity, you'd want it pretty close to diesel. Thicker fuel than what is was designed for, and yeah the 7.3's a beast and it will burn motor oil if you dump it in the tank, but at what cost?

3. Mike told me that because CF's require a much higher flow rate than your fuel system, heating in a single WVO tank with the coolant system to run the centrifuge won't work, because the coolant heat exchanger isn't heating the ENTIRE WVO tank to 160 degrees, just some of the fuel, on the way to the engine.

4. Sumped tank - Mike's CF tank has a steeply "coned" bottom and he says he still gets all kinds of gunk where the directly vertical part of the tank meets the cone's slope. Any of this residual build up may end up clogging up filters and what not. Opinions?

5. Veggie is much harder to come by now. He said that in his travels he was turned away due to contracts 80% of the time.

6. Various levels of other acids and what not in veggie sources that a CF won't pull out but over long term may do damage to the vehicle.

All this makes me see why everyone is doing it at home in the garage with the same well known oil sources, and then carting 500 gallons of it around in a trailer.

Maybe my little dream has died......if anyone cares to bring it back from the dead, It would be much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 19,000
$ Estimated Saved: -0
MacGyver Rating: -3.03
Question mobile filtration

James was asking some imortant questions three years ago.
Does anyone have a solid mobile setup meanwhile?
Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Braaap Braaap

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: 10k
MacGyver Rating: 4.20

Mr Campvan,

My thoughts on a mobile rig would be that your time would be better spent setting up a network of greasers you trust that can fill your rig in a fraction of time for a reasonable per/gal price and avoid the headache of trying to clean while moving. One bad batch and you are up the creek in your only mode of transport.

You may or may not know, but the main ingredients to cleaning oil effectively are heat, time and settling, the latter two do not necessarily happen on the road.

I use a pressure drive DC OC50 centrifuge (OC20 is the smaller one) to clean, it needs to run for 2 hours per 40 gals, this is a powerhungry unit (3/4hp AC motor) and probably the only option for cleaning on the road...albeit not a real good one.

Build your network and keep your oil guys happy. You will have many more smiles than headaches.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Gettin Greasy

I think doing this would require stopping somewhere to spin the oil; I'm not sure having any open ports while in motion is a good idea. An elevated barrel, the CF and a barrel for the clean would be the way I'd do it
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 AM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

Here's a line drawing of my mobile CF system. I hope it will be posted. I have placed the following component parts just for placement in the bed of my 1969 Chevy C20 PU forward of a fifth wheel hitch. There are two 18 gal poly drums laying on their sides, one above the other. The SimpleCF will be placed in-between the two poly drums to allow gravity of the a Morro Pressure Cooker that will contain the CF bowl. The CF'd oil to flow and into the bottom poly. Because the RAW oil will be of unknown quality (fats, water, etc), no heat will be added as the oil flows into the CF bowl. Cleaning the CF bowl will determine if another cycle is needed. A Shurflo diaphragm pump will transfer the oil to a three way solenoid that will direct the oil to either for another cleaning cycle or to the main VO fuel tank. The CF will be powered by a 1/3 HP AC motor spinning at 3450 rpm's. AC power will come from a 12VDC to 110AC converter. A 100 amp alternator will be replacing the 55 watt alternator. A float switch will be installed in the RAW poly barrel to shut off the 1/3 AC motor when the level reaches the float switch. An ON-OFF-ON toggle switch will be used to control the CF motor or the solenoid. From reading the many posts, the availability to purchase RAW oil from other greasers, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by dragonfly; 06-06-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

That is beautiful. I designed a similar setup for the garage in my Toy Hauler. My bottom tank would have been 110gal tank/toolbox and upper tank a translucent 55gal poly barrel. There was plenty of room for storing additional clean and dirty oil in the 8x10 'garage'. I hauled up to 200 gals back there...

I was in the same place for at least a couple weeks at a time, so no need to try to do this while moving down the road! I liked the idea of the never-ending road trip, acquiring enough oil to get to the next destination.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

I have used this same design for over 9 yrs. for my stationary WVO cleaning room. Might check out pics I've posted under "My first post" at the top of this Forum. The only item not used in the mobile system is the cone barrel.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Vegistroker

Default Mobile Filtration

Dragonfly,
Very interesting, please keep posting detailed pics and explanation of the mobile setup as it progresses.
Temporarily held up by the theft/recovery of my van (the Ford OEM repair/repainting should be completed next month) I was planning to follow Puresoul108's van mobile filtration design. By last summer I had collected most of the same equipment he used, except the customized tank and the filter he built, here's his video.
I was a bit dissuaded when visiting/chatting with Jay about the limitations (mostly related to lack of settling), also considering that Puresoul had some engine trouble due to initial design flaws. Not sure if these are fully overcome.

Given the limited space in a van (no pickup bed) I need something that can be adapted to fit under the van and into a closet in the trunk.
I'm curious to learn more about your design, experience with mobile filtration of various WVO qualities. Can it reach the same quality as settling at home for 2 months to get rid of water, fats, etc.
Thanks !

Last edited by CampVan; 01-24-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Link to Puresoul108 design thread
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Vegistroker

Default Mobile Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnOilRig View Post
I use a pressure drive DC OC50 centrifuge (OC20 is the smaller one) to clean, it needs to run for 2 hours per 40 gals, this is a powerhungry unit (3/4hp AC motor) and probably the only option for cleaning on the road...albeit not a real good one.

Build your network and keep your oil guys happy. You will have many more smiles than headaches.
MtnOilRig,
Thanks for the notes last year. I have a OC50 meanwhile and various other components, but your concerns are in essence why I haven't continued yet.

For domestic long-distance travel I tried indeed to build a network when I went from SF to Canada last summer. I had also updated the -> MAP of fellow WVO'ers interested in networking and sharing filtered WVO.
Trusting other people's filtration quality however is also not without challenges. While most oil I received looked really great, there were also a few cubies I decided not take, and a couple that I took I later decided not to use.
Most of the cubies received (and mine that I took from home) that I drove around with for a while before using collected quite a bit of settled dark residue at the bottom after 1-2 weeks of sitting (despite sloshing around while driving) on my heated tank in the trunk. Obviously I tried to pour without the bottom 20% or so of those cubies. What I could not observe of course is how that same sourced oil from fellow WVOers settled that we poured directly into my 40gal heated tank ...

The mobile filtration setup will be needed for a long road trip through South America that I'm contemplating to begin at the end of the year. I don't think I'll find fellow WVOers and filtered oil down there.
Has anybody tried such a trip?

Last edited by CampVan; 01-24-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: WVO sharing network Map links
Old 01-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

If you are able to be selective when you collect oil, you can probably avoid most of the water and fats. This makes filtering much easier. I have collected plenty of oil that could have been pumped thru a filter and into my truck. (after H&S I've used all but a pint in a 55gal drum)

Chances are anything creamy or cloudy is going to need more love than that type of CF can provide. I have located a 55gal drum near 'camp' and H&S'd oil in front of the camper many times. Worst case scenario for you is to have to stop for a couple days and prep some oil for the CF.

And for peace of mind, something quantitative like Sandy Brae test kit would be a good investment. Then, you test every batch of oil before putting it in the main tank. You may decide to run some of that 'filtered' oil you get from others through your system!!

That stuff ya see settling out in the cubies is particulates that were not filtered out. In theory, what is not caught by the trucks filter goes bang in the combustion chamber without issue. The holes in our injector tips are something like 30mic and at up to 20k psi, not much is gonna stop them from flowing. I see this most in oil I get from people who use bag filters as primary filter...

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Last edited by skyskijason; 01-24-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Tags
centrifuge, filtration, mobile