Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
y aknow i wondered if that place was one of yours. i personally miss the chicken joint, but the green chili enchaladas (sp?) are bad ass. you still get from there? or did u stop when the chicken joint sold out? since you had a relationship with them, have you hit up thier other location by the air port?

i looked into eishens ( a chief of mines family owns it) but im not sure if driving all the way out there would be worth it. although the chicken might be worth the trip every week or so lol
Laluna? Yes, I still get the oil there. Its pretty good stuff. You go there I guess? We will have to meet for a beer sometime. I used to go there quite a bit when it was Halftime. Probably have seen you and didnt know it.
I know Nick Eishen, met him once at the base while there for a family day dinner party catered by Nick. Well he wouldnt remember me so I dont "know" him well...lol
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
have you hit up thier other location by the air port?
The one on Newcastle Road? Yes, I used to collect there also but they only had about 1-2 jugs of oil a month so it wasnt worth it. Now I see they have a grease dumpster out back and maybe they are doing more business. I know the head cook and the owner (Also and David) there and was thinking about asking for it again.
I may go by there after work and have a beer and talk to Aldo.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
I try to pour in at least a full cubie of oil into my current drum top strainer, and sometimes I'll come back to find almost none of it made it through. I guess if I wanted to sit there and watch it all pour through, but that seems time consuming. I guess I could just get a longer spoon to scrape crud off the bottom lol.

It doesn't take a couple inches to clog one of them when the temp drops Jason. I can't even pour clean oil through a 200 micron top in the winter here.
The 'screen' here holds like 50gals, right? I know someone who pre-filtered 1000's of gals thru bed sheets suspended over a 55gal barrel. He added a cubie or 2 at a time and threw an electric BBQ starter in the oil on top of sheet. As the oil got warm enough, it went thru the sheet and he added more oil. Very effective, but waaaaaay too time consuming! I'm picturing this contraption with a heater in the middle - warm the oil, turn off heat and open valve to a vessel big enough for that much oil and fahghetaboutit.

I use these nylon strainers - also about 200mic. I often clamp this on the discharge hose as I transfer from the collection tote to the dirty tote in grease shed. I just try to keep the french fries and big spices out of the 'dirty' tote. That crap is really hard to get out of a stationary tote. The collection tote is on a 'lil trailer, so I can blast it out with water and tip it up on end for the occasional cleaning.
http://www.thecarycompany.com/Images...c_strainer.jpg
http://fitfeat.com/blog/wp-content/u...t-strainer.jpg

Yes ^^^ will separate fats from WVO in cold weather, but they tolerate HOT oil well!

on edit: I also made a 5gal strainer buckets using these by putting a 1" PVC fitting on the bottom of a 5gal bucket. This was great for pre-filtering as I transferred WVO from buckets/cubies to drums/totes when I used to collect oil in buckets and and cubies.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.

Last edited by skyskijason; 08-08-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Gettin Greasy

This all seems so complicated! Before the fire I would pour through a 600m barrel top screen, heat that and pump it up to the feed barrel above my CF, heat that to ~160*F, down through the CF into a tote. When that tote got full I would pump from that one through a Donaldson filter into another tote. Rinse, repeat. It could not have been simpler
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 8500
$ Estimated Saved: 1165 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Laluna? Yes, I still get the oil there. Its pretty good stuff. You go there I guess? We will have to meet for a beer sometime. I used to go there quite a bit when it was Halftime. Probably have seen you and didnt know it.
I know Nick Eishen, met him once at the base while there for a family day dinner party catered by Nick. Well he wouldnt remember me so I dont "know" him well...lol
I use to go there quite a bit. Im not really into the packed college bars and all the BS that comes with a lot of southside/Moore bars. That place was always pretty slow. (Looking back i guess that wasn't a good thing) but yeah we hit Newcastle's Walmart alot. Then turns into what's for dinner. A buddy of ours family owns ribs n more. But we unseemly to miss them being open a lot so we end up at la Luna. My kid Luke's all the attention he gets from the waitresses when he goes in sporting his shades.

But yeah ill have to hook up with you sometime

Sorry for the hijack....carry on
Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Jason, good point. That large pre-filter would be easy to have a heating device of some sort in the middle.

I really need to update my filtering setup, just no motivation to even look at it. Need to find a house of my own first.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 8500
$ Estimated Saved: 1165 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
Jason, good point. That large pre-filter would be easy to have a heating device of some sort in the middle.

I really need to update my filtering setup, just no motivation to even look at it. Need to find a house of my own first.
Realtor.com