BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 15000
$ Estimated Saved: $4000
MacGyver Rating: 9.5
Default Gravity Fed CF cups/sec to GPH chart

Figured I should post this helpful little chart I made for anyone in need of it. It's a GallonsPerHour chart for second per cup of oil exiting my centrifuge. Temps were done @ ~100F. Figured this might be helpful for people running gravity fed CF's.

Perhaps its even something that could be made into a sticky here in the filtration forum?

I have 2 copies, one is an actual MS Excel .xlsx:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B16...thkey=CPLHudcF

The other is formatted to Google Docs Spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...thkey=CJSgwJsG
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
1997 CC PSD

Sweet, Bruce! I've been meaning to do this, but I've just been too lazy. I've got a makeshift one on my CF right now, but it's only got a couple of time points on it and I've just been estimating in my head.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Its stuck....
Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 5

Big Dummy Here. Does that mean, if it takes 30secs to fill up 1 cup its at a flow rate of 7.5 Gallons Per Hour??? Thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 04:46 AM
1997 CC PSD

Yup, you got it!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Senior Vegistroker

give or take a tiny bit. I picked up a little $1 stopwatch like timer from ebay do act as a timer for filling a 1 cup measuring cup. I figure there is a little variation to the GPH measurements based on your reaction time, and timing method, but the chart I made up should be good enough for government work. I usually try to err on the side of going a second slower since the flow speeds of the oil can vary a little bit based on the temp swings of your heating system.

I would say overall if you set your CF output speed for something like 7.5GPH your flow would fluctuate up and down thru the heating cycles of your heater by maybe .10 to .15 of a cup either way. So if you want to shoot for 7.5GPH I would set your flow rate maybe 1-2 seconds slower that way you won't pass the 7.5GPH you are looking for.

One of these days I am gonna get around to testing a GPH water flow meter I picked up for $2 the other day. I want to see how the calibration goes for oil, but I may wait till spring to do that. I hate to deal with trying to CF oil in the winter in my unheated garage.
2000 7.3L F-250 XLT SCSB 6in Lift, Bilstiens, 37" Mud Grapplers, 203F tstat, DIY Rebuilt Tranny, Tru-Speed, Turbomaster WG, 4" MBRP exhaust, Wicked Wheel, DIY WVO system w/check valve switching. Miles on WVO ~15,000.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Gettin Greasy

Bruce - This is a big help, been having trouble keeping my output where I wanted it. Really appreciate the post. - Patrick
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Senior Vegistroker

You're welcome. I figured when I made this up a while back it would be helpful to people, and hence why I asked to have it stuck to the top.

If you are having feed rate problems, one thing I have always encountered is that your flow speed will decrease as time goes on as you loose "head pressure" from your feed barrel/tote that is above your CF. I readjust my flow as the level drops, which is where the chart came in handy for a quick reference that I keep right next to my measuring cup. When I first que up 275 gallons I can usually let it run till about 150 gallons are left without having to adjust the flow rate, though I still check the flow every 8 to 12 hours. My feed tote's outlet is only about 2 inches above the inlet of the CF, but that has in the past provided enough height to be able to feed faster than I need. Towards the very end of a tote I tip the tote up an inch in the back to get the last little bit out.

For the cooler part of the year here I have also started to output to a clean painted 55 gallon drum, simply cause the oil never cools off so much that I can't easily push it thru a 1 micron bag to a storage tote. I'll set my feed speed around 5-6 GPH and I remember to check the CF 2-3 times a day and pump the warm oil into my clean storage. Summer time I will run the CF feeds faster and into a clean 275 gallon tote, cause I don't have to worry about cool oil plugging a bag from the fats at all.
2000 7.3L F-250 XLT SCSB 6in Lift, Bilstiens, 37" Mud Grapplers, 203F tstat, DIY Rebuilt Tranny, Tru-Speed, Turbomaster WG, 4" MBRP exhaust, Wicked Wheel, DIY WVO system w/check valve switching. Miles on WVO ~15,000.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 50 lol
MacGyver Rating: 6

Thanks! I haven't used my cf yet but when i do this will definitely help!