Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > EMERGENCY FORUM

Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American View Post
That's interesring, I haven't looked at it but I will pull it anyway. The thing is I still had this issue on the way home after it was working great on my last post. It started getting low pressure again with any load put on it. I upped the pressure switch another 1/4 turn and it got me home. The spring would make sense if it were cold, but we are talking about 70 degrees ambient. Maybe time to pull the whole system and give it all a good cleaning and re tune. Maybe an actual pressure gauge this time.
70* ambient is by no means a measure of anything depending on your oil type. Straight conola with some chicken fat in it will give me issues at that temp sometimes, or PH oil or both mixed. Although This may not be your issue, maybe a piece of crap got hung on that spring and is a restriction? Its a simple thing to try at least.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:02 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
70* ambient is by no means a measure of anything depending on your oil type. Straight conola with some chicken fat in it will give me issues at that temp sometimes, or PH oil or both mixed. Although This may not be your issue, maybe a piece of crap got hung on that spring and is a restriction? Its a simple thing to try at least.
Agreed. Very possible something is just hanging around in there. Thanks guys, I'll post what I find. Here is the pressure switch;

2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-14-2014, 04:36 AM

Thats the pressure regulator and it looks a little funked up.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

What is the required pressure for your system? (Does Vegiram use a different pressure switch for D2 pump??)

Also, check vent line for restriction.

Burning VO without a pressure gauge is like driving blindfolded... Currently, I won't install a system without a fuel pressure gauge and one day I may 'require' a vacuum gauge as well so we can monitor prefilter performance and distinguish which filter is the issue.

I've found a couple of vacuum monitors like the one on the air filter that 'pop out' when high vacuum is seen - but so far none that appear they will survive WVO service.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 PM
VegiRammer

It can use some surface cleaning, but the orifices are all clear. The Cummins runs 10psi. I think Dave once mentioned he runs the WVO on them between 10-14 IIRC. I do need a gauge, I know I know. I have a list of things I need/want to do. That's on there.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-15-2014, 10:37 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

Have you tried cleaning your fuel line from the manifold back to tank by sending compressed air back through it . May be worth it before digging deeper into the situation. that has fixed my pressure issues a few times. I remove the prescreen cap and thread in a nylon fitting in its place with ,tubing attached. Hold the compressor hose to it until you clearly hear bubbling in tank. best if warmed up first.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn-Wyn View Post
Have you tried cleaning your fuel line from the manifold back to tank by sending compressed air back through it . May be worth it before digging deeper into the situation. that has fixed my pressure issues a few times. I remove the prescreen cap and thread in a nylon fitting in its place with ,tubing attached. Hold the compressor hose to it until you clearly hear bubbling in tank. best if warmed up first.
In ten years I have never had to do this. Interesting...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:14 PM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn-Wyn View Post
That's a good idea. I thought of blowing out the lines, but never thought of putting a fitting where the prescreen is.

I drove the truck around yesterday with and without the trailer and no low pressure issues. I definitely don't want an intermittent problem happening while I'm on the road, so I'll try some or all of these ideas and see where it gets me.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 PM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I believe i had this issue because of a used tank on my system , that could have been cleaned better before install. Either way its a five minute job when done as i discribed.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 100,000
MacGyver Rating: 7

I run my Cummins a little closer to 20 psi. than you mentioned.
Does it work alright in the summer?
Obviously if so, it is a temperature issue. Check the temp. switch. I had that problem once. Also made a big difference to cover the grill, try a higher T-stat.
This may sound ridiculous, but check your coolant. Wouldn't be the first time I travelled with not enough coolant.
Greasin' since 2007