BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > Introduce Yourself Here

Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default New member from Chicago, IL

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, diesels and WVO! I've been reading up on WVO conversions here and there for a little while and thought that I would start to get a little more serious. I have an 02 F150 that is getting a little tired with 170k miles on it and I'd like to upgrade to a F250 with a 4dr cab since the family is growing.

I'm located in Crete, IL which is a small town ~40mi south of Chicago and haven't checked on any sources of used oil, but will call around/visit over the next few weeks and see what I can come up with. I have a 1500sqft garage with plenty of room to filter, but might want to start out buying WVO from someone experienced on the subject

I'm a Ford guy so, I'd be looking for either a 99-03 7.3L or an 04-07 6.0L depending on the budget and what I can find with low miles. Is there anyone in the Chicago area I could possibly meet with and ask questions. I'm a mechanical engineer and have been working on cars for a number of years, so I plan on performing the install myself.

thanks,
Chad

Last edited by chadzeilenga; 03-18-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadzeilenga View Post
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, diesels and WVO! I've been reading up on WVO conversions here and there for a little while and thought that I would start to get a little more serious. I have an 02 F150 that is getting a little tired with 170k miles on it and I'd like to upgrade to a F250 with a 4dr cab since the family is growing.

I'm located in Crete, IL which is a small town ~40mi south of Chicago and haven't checked on any sources of used oil, but will call around/visit over the next few weeks and see what I can come up with. I have a 1500sqft garage with plenty of room to filter, but might want to start out buying WVO from someone experienced on the subject

I'm a Ford guy so, I'd be looking for either a 99-03 7.3L or an 04-07 6.0L depending on the budget and what I can find with low miles. Is there anyone in the Chicago area I could possibly meet with and ask questions. I'm a mechanical engineer and have been working on cars for a number of years, so I plan on performing the install myself.

thanks,
Chad
Hey Chad - Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to get new people involved. We look forward to your input here.

The Ford Powerstroke makes an excellent vehicle to convert. I have been running a 2000 F-350 on veg for four years now. It has performed extremely well. There are a number of 6.0 guys here as well, but my first choice would be the 7.3. Good luck in you hunt for a vehicle, and again, welcome. - Patrick
Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

Welcome aboard! Wish I was closer so we could meet face to face, but I think we have a few guys up that way.

My 6.0 was converted back in 2008, and I've been happy with it. But if I had to start from scratch and pick a vehicle, I'd choose a 7.3. They're a lot more forgiving when it comes to fuel quality.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Anyone in Chicago???

Point taken on the 7.3L, although finding a nice clean one in my area is getting tougher, plus I like the styling of the 05-07. I'm probably going to start looking in the Southern IL or Missouri area to keep away from the rust.

Is there anyone who is filtering in the IL area? I was hoping to buy my WVO initially and then add the capability to filter over time.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Are there any members in Illinois that are using WVO? I'd like to see a truck and filtering setup.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default The plan

I've continued to do research on WVO and what is involved, I thought I'd run my plan by the forum for some input.

1. Winter, find local sources of oil and determine how much weekly I can collect. Store initial pickups in cubies to let the oil settle over the winter.

2. Spring, Once weather starts to warm up, put together a basic H&S still to figure out if I have the time to filter the WVO and make enough to justify the investment.

3. Summer/Fall, Find a truck. I'm on the fence between a 2002-2003 7.3L and a 2006-2007 6.0L. I've read the stories on forums regarding the Head studs, EGR & injectors on the 6.0L and then the trans issues on the 7.3L. The prices between two similar trucks with the same mileage and options is pretty close. Are most of the 6.0L issues self inflicted (Chip/Tunes)? Can I even run WVO on a 6.0L without a centrifuge?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
I've continued to do research on WVO and what is involved, I thought I'd run my plan by the forum for some input.

1. Winter, find local sources of oil and determine how much weekly I can collect. Store initial pickups in cubies to let the oil settle over the winter.

2. Spring, Once weather starts to warm up, put together a basic H&S still to figure out if I have the time to filter the WVO and make enough to justify the investment.

3. Summer/Fall, Find a truck. I'm on the fence between a 2002-2003 7.3L and a 2006-2007 6.0L. I've read the stories on forums regarding the Head studs, EGR & injectors on the 6.0L and then the trans issues on the 7.3L. The prices between two similar trucks with the same mileage and options is pretty close. Are most of the 6.0L issues self inflicted (Chip/Tunes)? Can I even run WVO on a 6.0L without a centrifuge?
Sounds like a good plan, you should have lots of oil if you start collecting now and dont convert a truck until spring.
Yes you can run wvo in a 6.0 without a CF, I did it with heat/settle/filter for many thousands of miles. I do like the CF better as it gets my oil 100% dry. A hot pan test would always produce "some" tiny bubbles when I was using H/S but it was an acceptable amount according to the experts I was learning from at that time. With my fuge, I get 0 bubbles and I just get more of a warm fuzzy feeling with that.
If your interested in a dually with a new engine (2003 6.0) I may be looking to sell mine in the near future (maybe spring). Nothing wrong with it other than some hail damage which will get repaired soon but I just dont need a dually anymore. Let me know if interested and I'll send pics.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 17,776
$ Estimated Saved: $4863
MacGyver Rating: 7.77

Quote:

I also used to work without a CF, but absolutely love the one I have now...you can find them used for about $700 (actually know where one is right now for that price), and when you start investing in filters, it starts adding up...if you heat up enough, and settle long enough, then you will probably be safe...i have a 7.3L and also agree with the others on that...

my father lives about 30 minutes south of indianapolis...you are welcome to drive down this weekend and meet up with us...i am going home from philadelphia to see my family...both of our trucks are converted...and we have a nice filtering setup there...with the space you have, you can build a pretty nice filtering setup for cheap...
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thanks for the invite, but it's a bit of a drive on UNL... I'll keep tyring to see if I can meet up with someone in the Chicago/NWI area.

I'm fortunate to have all of the available garage space, but it's an unheated area. Do most of these filtering setups have a climate controlled area? I'm thinking about the condensation from heating up a cold space in the winter contaminating my dry oil storage.

Also, with water & junk settling to the bottom and oil on top, has anyone ever stored their cubies upside down with a modified cap that had a valve on it to drain water? Just wondering.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Also, What's the approximate time/month spent collecting WVO and then filtering it with a H&S? Has anyone converted this to an hrs/gal?