BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Mdub707's Avatar
Mdub707 Mdub707 is offline
Me MacGyver!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amsterdam NY
Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Posts: 2,473
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707
Default

So is anyone still using the electric heater wrap anymore? I mean mine is working currently, is it even worth going through the trouble to go this route? I mean how much of a concern is the extra electrical draw? I have dual amps on my rig, ambulance prep package I guess.
__________________
2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 SC/SB Greasin since 08/18/2010
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
So is anyone still using the electric heater wrap anymore? I mean mine is working currently, is it even worth going through the trouble to go this route? I mean how much of a concern is the extra electrical draw? I have dual amps on my rig, ambulance prep package I guess.
Roboto is monitoring oil temp post manifold and he said he only sees 1 degree increase with the filter wrap on...so he took it off. I still use mine but I'm going to build a coil like Jason described.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Vincent Arillo Vincent Arillo is offline
Vanman
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kent Island Maryland
Miles on Grease: 10000
$ Estimated Saved: 5000
MacGyver Rating: 1
Posts: 160
Default

I insulated my tank with 1" thick rigid styrofoam. Should I remove it? I go through 40 to 50 gallons per week so should I still worry about polymerization?
__________________
Vanman
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Arillo View Post
I insulated my tank with 1" thick rigid styrofoam. Should I remove it? I go through 40 to 50 gallons per week so should I still worry about polymerization?
Yes remove it. No need for it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Mdub707's Avatar
Mdub707 Mdub707 is offline
Me MacGyver!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amsterdam NY
Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Posts: 2,473
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Arillo View Post
I insulated my tank with 1" thick rigid styrofoam. Should I remove it? I go through 40 to 50 gallons per week so should I still worry about polymerization?
My buddy does the same with his vegi-ram setup. Made a 1" thick insulation cover for it. I haven't seen anything negatively come from it yet, but at the same time, probably not really needed.
__________________
2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 SC/SB Greasin since 08/18/2010
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
yzf400r yzf400r is offline
Vegistroker
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Miles on Grease: About 110,000
$ Estimated Saved: 10000.00
MacGyver Rating: 7
Posts: 73
Default

I was just wondering if the reduction in the 5/8" hose to a 3/8" coil is going to hurt anything as far as flow of the coolant and heating of the tank and V3? I thought about putting a t in front of the coil and one in back of the coil then reducing both sides of the t to 3/8 inch copper to give 2 3/8 inch tubes flowing coolant instead of just one. This may keep the flow more constant instead of slowing it down as much. I am attaching a drawing which has my idea which may or may not work, but I will give it a try. The flows of the heater hoses may be reversed, but I just wanted to get this out there to see what other ideas may be rolling around in people's heads. The other thing to look at is the flow through the V3, is that a full size 5/8 inch hole running through the v3? If you look at the square inches for flow through a 5/8 inch hose vs 3/8 inch tube it would take almost 3 3/8 inch tubes to equal the flow of a 5/8 inch hose. 5/8 inch hose = .3067 sq inches of area and 3/8 inch hose =.1104 sq inches of area for flow. I did not measure the ID's of both the tube and hose, so these are just a close guestimate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Filter heater drawing.pdf (12.2 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf400r View Post
I was just wondering if the reduction in the 5/8" hose to a 3/8" coil is going to hurt anything as far as flow of the coolant and heating of the tank and V3? I thought about putting a t in front of the coil and one in back of the coil then reducing both sides of the t to 3/8 inch copper to give 2 3/8 inch tubes flowing coolant instead of just one. This may keep the flow more constant instead of slowing it down as much. I am attaching a drawing which has my idea which may or may not work, but I will give it a try. The flows of the heater hoses may be reversed, but I just wanted to get this out there to see what other ideas may be rolling around in people's heads. The other thing to look at is the flow through the V3, is that a full size 5/8 inch hole running through the v3? If you look at the square inches for flow through a 5/8 inch hose vs 3/8 inch tube it would take almost 3 3/8 inch tubes to equal the flow of a 5/8 inch hose. 5/8 inch hose = .3067 sq inches of area and 3/8 inch hose =.1104 sq inches of area for flow. I did not measure the ID's of both the tube and hose, so these are just a close guestimate.
Thats exactly how i was planning to do mine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM
YoungMT Hick's Avatar
YoungMT Hick YoungMT Hick is offline
Military Vegistroker
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho Falls, WA
Miles on Grease: 65339
$ Estimated Saved: 9999
MacGyver Rating: 7.0
Posts: 579
Default

Anyone have an actual picture of this on the truck. I would like to see how it looks and how it affects changing the filter
__________________
2006 F350 6.0 Vegistroke 8" 4-link Rough Country Lift, SS-M16 37/13.50/20 XD Monster 20x10, 200cc sticks, PMAX, Studs, AD2, EV2 FP Gage, SCT, FICM Tune
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMT Hick View Post
Anyone have an actual picture of this on the truck. I would like to see how it looks and how it affects changing the filter
Skyski posted a pic recently....somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM
yzf400r yzf400r is offline
Vegistroker
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rigby, Idaho
Miles on Grease: About 110,000
$ Estimated Saved: 10000.00
MacGyver Rating: 7
Posts: 73
Default

I figured it out and if you use 1/2 inch tube for the bypass and make the coil out of 3/8 inch the total ID area would be equal to the 5/8 inch hose and there should be no loss of flow through the radiator hoses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.