BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 105,000
MacGyver Rating: pffft
Default Centrifuge feed

I know most here use gravity to feed their centrifuge but I have been considering the pro's and cons of pumping to the centrifuge. I have very limited space in my garage and don't think I will be able to accomadate an elevated drum. I would think there are a varity of low volume pumps that would feed at 10 gph or less. I found this one at Utah Biodiesel.... Pump ..... and thought something like this or similar could be used to feed the centrifuge. Thoughts?

I'm thinking one 55 gal barrel with a 6-8" stand pipe to use as a settling barrel, pour in the open top thru 400m barrel strainer, drain at the bottom to dump sludge and water, Pump to centrifuge sitting on top of tote. I like the idea of only having one drum and a tote. Makes for a very small footprint. What do you think?

edited to add... a search after I posted this found the pump refered to in the link much cheaper elsewhere... like $120 cheaper.

If it walks like a duck.....

Last edited by Allofus123; 08-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Fake It Till You Break It

Miles on Grease: 0.5
$ Estimated Saved: -3,700
MacGyver Rating: 6+

see the other post on ideas for your setup. http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/...ressure+switch
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Gettin Greasy

This is what I built for my set-up. Overall height is 7' setting on top of the tote. Fits in a 8' garage. The stand is 2'X5' and the width if the fuge. I have a cubie setting a 55gal barrel with the top cut out for my discharge oil just in case thing go to schmidt and my barrel on top drains through the discharge. The finished oil is flowing to a different tote and the hose sticking out of this tote goes to my clear water pump to pump previously cleaned oil into the truck .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0766.jpg (88.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0767.jpg (88.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by IMAGREASER; 08-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Thanks for the link. A lot of good info in there. Taking all what was discussed in that thread into consideration I did not see anyone talk about trying a metered pump. (or did I miss it?) Has anyone tried a metered pump?
Metered Pump

Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Senior Vegistroker

I went back and reread that link and obviously my reading comprehension is not a strong suite.

Quote:
1. Paristaltic pump like this on on McMaster Carr-43045K53. I had mixed results with this one. Sometimes it worked great, but ultimately the tube flattened on me about weekly reducing my flow to very little, and I had several vacuum leaks along the way that kept popping up. I always pulled from about 2/3 the way down on the barrel. Just wasn't simple and reliable enough.
Jason, was not the tube replaceable with something a bit more robust to not collapse? Also, where were the vacuum leaks coming from? Since you indicated it worked great wgen it was working I'm wondering if its just not a matter of getting the right metered pump to do the job?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 17,776
$ Estimated Saved: $4863
MacGyver Rating: 7.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allofus123 View Post
I went back and reread that link and obviously my reading comprehension is not a strong suite.

Jason, was not the tube replaceable with something a bit more robust to not collapse? Also, where were the vacuum leaks coming from? Since you indicated it worked great wgen it was working I'm wondering if its just not a matter of getting the right metered pump to do the job?
i am in the process of redesigning my setup...that said, i have low ceilings and minimal space in my 1 car garage...i am able to do the gravity feed with this new design...i can show you pictures in about 1-2 weeks when it is finished...metering pump would work...i did tons of research on this...at the end of the day it is frowned on because it is one more point of potential failure...i just set it at 8gpm and then am forced to check back about 3-4 hours later and adjust...worst case with this is that it feeds the fuge even slower...thus resulting in cleaner oil...better problem to have
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod
Old 09-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 10,000
$ Estimated Saved: -5350
MacGyver Rating: 6.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGREASER View Post
This is what I built for my set-up. Overall height is 7' setting on top of the tote. Fits in a 8' garage. The stand is 2'X5' and the width if the fuge. I have a cubie setting a 55gal barrel with the top cut out for my discharge oil just in case thing go to schmidt and my barrel on top drains through the discharge. The finished oil is flowing to a different tote and the hose sticking out of this tote goes to my clear water pump to pump previously cleaned oil into the truck .
nice setup IMAGREASER... KISS rule. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
here my setp in a 1 car garage. it goes into a 50 gal drum.
http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/...&pictureid=360
2.5 in add a leaf in back

Last edited by KrusherXX; 09-09-2012 at 01:08 AM.