BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 03-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 80k
MacGyver Rating: 4 sober...
Default HPOP oil leak fun!

So there I was at the Flagstaff AZ Starbuck swith a large puddle of motor oil under the truck…. I’m 6 hours back to home and 6 hours to my destination in CO family in tow for a spring break vacation

So a recently got the X back running after it sitting for a about 4 months. The passenger side bank was out a probable UVCH disconnection. So just got time and got that fixed up. I put in new glow-plugs at same time and she was running great but wife said it was taking a couple of extra revolutions for it to fire. I did have one bad battery and replaced them both but still the problem remained. I was happy it was running and no more CEL.

I started to notice a more than normal oil leak under the truck. It always left a dime size spot nothing I worried about. Now it was like a pancake. When I did the UVCH I could not get the old o-rings in the CCV so I attributed it to that.

Two days before this trip I get o-rings from ford and replace them. Fire up the truck and crawl under the truck to look for oil leak. I reach up to look by the starter and find that it’s loose and as soon as I do oil is pouring down from the starter area. I mean pouring out, this aint no CCV leak. Shut off motor, tighten up starter and clean real good around it.

So I’m thinking its got to be something from the High Pressure oil system, restart truck just a small drip now not pouring like before. Get on top with a mirror and valley is wet but only thing I see leaking is the passenger side HPX line fitting and it barely leaking. Pull it off and o-ring is just hard as a rock and I replace it. No more leak and no more leak under truck. Well no more than more normal dime. Drive the truck for the next two days before trip everything normal. So I was thinking the oil must have been trapped behind starter or something and when I moved it all the accumulated oil came out….I think I was wrong.

So back to Starbucks parking lot. Now I just drove the day before from So Cal to flagstaff stayed the night at a hotel no issues at all. I drive from hotel a couple blocks to Starbucks and now I’ve got oil pouring out from under the truck just like I saw at home. Get out the mirror and low and behold oil is pissing out from under the IPR valve. So im thinking the o-ring is shot. I tell family to get comfy we are gonna be are few hours. As Im browsing for a napa a guy walks out and I ask if he is local. We get talking and he offers me round trip ride to get what I need.

First stop is oreillys they are the closest and Napa is not open for another hour. Oreillys has no IPR in stock and it was just painfull to even get that determined. Go to Napa they don’t open for a half hour. My chauefuer Kevin (nicest guy in the world) says hey I got an errand to run I will come back for you. So napa has the IPR, a deep enough 1 1/8” socket but no ” socket adapter for my stuby ” wrench. The guy at the counter loans me his to bring back. So Kevin (nicest guy again) takes me back to Oreillys because napa only sells huge bags of absorbent so I can get a small one. Meanwhile wife and kids walked to safeway to get a dust pan.

Everytime I leave on a trip I bring my toolbox, a 5 gallon bucket with coolant, fuel filter, paper towels and my coveralls. Could not find my coveralls a couple days before trip and on our first stop of this trip at Wally world I said in my head to grab some coveralls and I forgot and paid the price for it.

So Kevin drops me off much to my family’s delight as I have told them a million times about hitch hiking dangers, stranger danger yada yada and I go off with some beatnik hippie from a Starbucks. Kevin refuses the 40 bucks I try and give him saying he is just paying back the many times people have helped him along the way. Kevin literally has his sleeping bag and pillow in the backseat of his car. A true hippie beatnik in love with the southwest USA.

So on to the fun stuff. The IPR is on so tight I have to use my chain strap vice grip wrench which was a bitch getting on just right to brake the IPR loose. I had to use the wrench to get most of it out. Once out take a look at the picture its freaking bent! The oring though looks fine. Put the new one in and start up the truck holy crap its leaking again! Take out the new IPR look at the oring it looks fine. Look at the threads they look good on the HPOP so put it back in and leaks again. So I start looking about it and there was my leak all along. The port to the drivers side head at the HPOP was leaking pouring down the backside of the IPR making it look like a bad oring. Tighten up that fitting and oil leak gone. Go to Napa return the litte adapter I borrowed and they let me clean up in the back with some Gojo. I buy a set of coveralls not sure why I didnt when I was there earlier.

So I am assuming this was my leak all along considering the amount of oil I witnessed at home. It is just so weird that it spontaneously stopped at home for two days. I drove from So Cal to Flagstaff AZ and no oil leak until the next morning. This whole thing is just so weird. Had I not had the oil leak I would not have noticed loose starter, had the oil leak not occurred I would not have pulled the IPR to find it bent. Thank god this happened in Starbucks parking lot in Flagstaff in spring in 70 degree perfect weather. Could have been in the middle of the Navajo nation miles from anywhere.

So got to Pagosa Springs CO last night no problems. Car starts super fast like it used to. What would cause a bent IPR.

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter DIY FrybriStroke - 140k on WVO since 2007 (2015 Back to D2)

Last edited by ajohansson; 03-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 AM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 7

Did anyone else do work on the Ex before? I have no idea how the IPR would get bent.
The random kind acts of strangers keeps me believing in the good of people. I have had lots of help over the years and people would not accept anything. That is why to this day I try and stop and help when I see someone with a breakdown. I did laugh after reading what you said about hitch hikers etc.

Hope everything keeps working well-especially on a long trip like that with the family.

Rob
Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Gettin Greasy

After reading some more about this since the hpop is aluminum and the fittings are steel there is that expansion thing. Perhaps when I had the first leak at home by the time I went up top to look at it the expansion happened and sealed the leak. Two days later at 6k feet elevation I start up truck and now the expansion factor comes in and the leak starts. I know some folks use loctite on the fitting at the HPOP for this reason.

Now back to the X, no work on the HPOP on this thing since i have had it. I bought it used in february 2007 from the dealer who the original owner bought it from and traded it back in.

Its the original IPR as far as I know. I did blow a HPOP line about 3 years agon thankfully in so cal just before a trip to colorado. Happened in Pasadena and dump oil all over the ground getting off the freeway. Funny thing about that time two city of pasadena public works guys are right behind me and push me off the offramp. Wouldnt ya know it Im right across from their city yard and they go get some absorn and clean it all up once the tow truck came and got me. Man I have good luck when the chips are down.

I can remember which line blew that day but my local diesel guy replaced it for me as I was in a pinch. I was actually with my college students on a field trip that day and my buddy sent a tow which took me to his shop in san bernardino and in 10 minutes I was back on the road albeit an oily mess. I actually caught up to my students later that day on the field trip.

In any case Im really thinking about moving to CNC Fabrications HPOP lines. They are JIC fittings and man alot less to go wrong. You take out the factory fittings and put ORB to JIC adapters in. Yeah I know if if one blows no shop is gonna have them but the price of a set is the price of one from ford. No special tool to take them off, no internal orings, spacers etc like the STC fittings. I may buy two sets and keep one in the tool box for long trips. I could probably get a set made for cheaper but he has the sizing all figured out.

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter DIY FrybriStroke - 140k on WVO since 2007 (2015 Back to D2)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Nice lines.CNC Fabrications . Great looking fix. Thanks for the link!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Gettin Greasy

well the saga continued!

All week im in beautiful pagosa springs not a leak from the HPOP fitting. Not a leak all week! I start up the truck saturday morning to head to the grand canyon for our normal overnight back to CA and its dripping oil. I get up top on the motor and then it stops. It feels tight with a wrench. Im dumbfounded. So I just take off...

I get to cortez colorado and pull into the gas station and damn its really leaking bad. Im two blocks from ford and of course no techs on duty only lube guys and they dont have the hpop line removal tool but do have the oring kit. I look at it buy it and then look at it and it looks like an sae6 and I take it back because i have a bag full in my truck for my WVO system stuff. For some reason I thought they were sae 5 but later found out the heads are sae5 but the hpop are 6.

So i have never delt with the hpop lines before. The one time I had a line blow my mechanic I occasionally use swapped it for me. I go to napa they dont have the tool. I ask if there is a local independent ford mech. They get me his number, he says he is booked and I ask if I can just borrow the tool and he says he lent it to his buddy. I ask if its possible just to turn the fitting with the line attached to change the oring. He says it will damage the fitting inside the hpop line possibly. Im screwed.

So i look under the truck and now its not leaking agian. totally intermittent. So I take off again. I get to tuba city and holy hell its bad. I am down 6 quarts of oil. the fitting isnt leaking its spraying a high pressure oil bath all over my truck. I say screw it. Im in the navajo nation 75 miles from flagstaff and I have aaa premier. I can attempt the oring fix and back out the fitting with the line attached and if it works move on. If not at least I can get towed to flagstaff where an extra day waiting for ford to open is a nice place to be.

Well the fitting backed out just fine. Put the oring on an voila it held just fine. But then wouldnt ya know it the other line is leaking just barely at the crimp on the line. I mean just barely. So i made it to the grand canyon and back home to CA without having to deal with the hpop again.

One weird thing now is after i put in the IPR it started super fast. After getting down 6 quarts is starts slower, not super slow but not super fast like right after IPR. Should I top of HPOP?

I am getting CNC Fab hpop lines I aint ever screwing around with the ford crap again.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

This post contains an old discussion about the forum, which is fifteen years old. But now we can visit essay mama with the new discussion forum which has a link in the post which we can easily visit by following it.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

You need to ask people more about it on https://es.altoconvertpdftojpg.com/faq and then you will see that there is nothing about it that can be done. It's all there and we will know more about it.