Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > Off Topic

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8
Default wvo generators

http://organicmechanic.com/vegetable-oil-generator/
Does anyone have one of these ? or have experience with these or similar or have built there own ? Pricey, but could be pretty sweet.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 36,000

What kind of pricing are they getting for it? I didn't feel like putting in all my info just to get a price.

~Mitch
Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Its just a Perkins or Deutz powered generator with a veggie conversion...

I do like the over-use of 'expertly designed' and 'expertly installed'. Maybe I should employ these terms in my sales brochure!

The inherent problem of a VO-powered generator is that generators spend most of their time using only a fraction of their max power output. This is akin to extended idling or stop and go traffic in a converted vehicle. The issue is incomplete combustion due to low combustion chamber temps and carbon build-up/coking over time.

With that in mind, it may be possible to size your genny to meet an average demand that produced enough load to maintain adequate combustion temps. Or, if its possible to run the thing full-tilt and sell electricity - you may have a viable solution for this problem!

A quick fleabay search for 'diesel generators' turned up units from $1000 to over $10,000 for different sizes (and quality) generators.

I would estimate (WAG) I could design and install a semi-automated conversion for something like this in the neighborhood of $2500.

The problem I have always had with this concept ('free' electricity) is my electric bill is only $40-60/month year-round. I encounter the same issue with an alt-fuel boiler to heat my home in winter - my propane bill is only $400-500/yr including the clothes dryer and cooking (and in 12yrs has required ZERO/ZIP/ZILCH from me, except to call the gas co. to come fill me up once/year).

The other issue I have is it is VERY quiet where I live. I can hear a lawnmower right now and it is at least 1/2 mile away across the valley. While it does not drown out the birds around my house, it would not take me long to hate the drone of even a 'quiet' generator running all the time.

We put a 20kw (4cyl) propane generator up at Mom's house because our community well is on her power. This thing is super low maintenance, isn't very loud and would provide a couple hrs/day of electricity (and therefore water for the whole compound) for a loooong time on the 500gal propane tank. Propane also has the advantage of a very, very long shelf life (unlike RUG and diesel).

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

I want a boiler to heat the shop, garage, house and pool
Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2GN2 View Post
I want a boiler to heat the shop, garage, house and pool
I still want one, but its hard to justify because my ROI is so far out. My brother has been helping his brother-in-law (James) build a DIY outdoor wood furnace from an old propane tank. James thinks he won't have more than a couple $100 in the boiler itself - with automation and safety stuff included. He put the boiler half way between his house and his mother's house and will use it to heat both homes. If it works as good as they think it will, I'm going to have to give it a try! (I already heat my house and garage/shop with in-floor radiant heat and haven't ever hooked up my hot tub because I'm too cheap to pay for electric heat!)

My latest research project has been wood gasifiers... I was never particularly interested in this until I saw a guy compressing wood gas into pressure vessels (propane tanks, etc) and burning it later! Now, I want to be able to fire up my gasifier every once in a while and fill all my tanks up - and fire the propane company!!! I've had plans to convert my old carbureted Toyota rockcrawler to propane for years. This concept potentially provides unlimited 'free' fuel (even if the restaurants and gas stations are CLOSED).

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:22 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn-Wyn View Post
http://organicmechanic.com/vegetable-oil-generator/
Does anyone have one of these ? or have experience with these or similar or have built there own ? Pricey, but could be pretty sweet.
This is not a safe system to "back feed the grid" like it states on the bottom of the page!!

I have a Redstone belt driven "slow speed" engine with a 10kw generator sitting in my garage because I got wrong info. Luckily I can sell it for other uses like water pumps, coffee huskers or any equipment that runs on belts.

Pm sent as I won't post the information gathered over the last 5 years! Dangerous, non recommended stuff!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

I've seen laws that state it's illegal to back feed the grid with an internal combustion engine.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Very true!!

I gave him info on how it's done. and why NO ONE should attempt it!!Very dangerous and you can easily kill yourself, family members, line men and anyone around no matter how careful you are.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

good info. the gennys start around $15000 I think. I believe more pricing and specs on that sight.
I would like to build a place and use a veggie boiler ( OMNI heat, econoheat ? ) and in floor radiant heating as well, at some point. Heat both the house and garage, have the boiler in garage or its own little building.
Anyone use these?
ROI much easier in the North.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Jiffy Lube here in Kona uses a waste motor oil burner to get rid of their waste oil. Hot as hell when it's on. Burns clean.