BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > Off Topic

Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Gettin Greasy

Default Using a Turkey Fryer for the first time

Thanksgiving in Canada is next weekend & we are going camping. Since we won't have a proper oven to cook our turkey in we bought a propane turkey fryer. Turkey fryers are not as big a thing in my area as they seem to be in the lower 48 so I don't have any experience with them. This will be my first time using one so I am looking for any advice/tips on frying up a yummy bird. The instructions are pretty straight forward so it may be a simple as it looks but just wanna make sure I do it right.

Instructions say to heat the oil to 375 & cook the bird for 3 1/2 minutes per pound. To be sure the bird is fully cooked the bird should be at least 180 inside it. Thats pretty much what the instructions say. It also says that peanut oil should be used but canola should be ok shouldn't it??

Any tips/tricks of the trade I should know about??

Also just for curiosity sake has anyone used their recycled oil in their turkey fryer? I'm not going to do this( for this time anyway) as I have new oil & don't want to take the chance of messing up the bird. The oil from one place I pick up from is lightly used & once cleaned up probably could be used again.

2001 f-350 7.3L ext.cab Non Dually. 273kmiles. DIY checkvalve vegistroke style. 40 gallon greasecar tank . 125k vegi miles. .

Last edited by simone0414; 10-05-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

Don't put the bird in frozen. Use peanut oil for best taste.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Deep fried turkey is GREAT!!!
Your instructions sound fine but a couple hints are in order.
1. Using the holder, sink the turkey in the fryer in water first, just deep enough to cover the bird. Once you have determined how much liquid it takes to cover the bird remove the bird and holder, then put a mark on the outside of the fryer at the level of the water left in the fryer. This will tell you how much oil to put in the fryer so the bird will be covered but the fryer won't be overfull when you put the bird in. This is VERY important and why most fried turkey fires are started.
2. Make sure the bird is completely dried of any water inside and out prior to putting it in the hot oil. Probably the second most reason for fires! Slowly lower the bird into the oil, it will spit and spatter some so go SLOW and wear gloves.
3. This is best done outside, not in the garage.
4. Watch your temp, it will drop significantly when you first drop the bird in. Don't try to crank the heat way up to get it back to temp, you can turn it up some but it will come up fairly soon on it's own. Once it has stabilized it shouldn't need much tweaking. Keep kids and dogs etc away and enjoy some of the best turkey ever!!!
I always use peanut oil, I think it gives a good flavor to the bird. Any oil will work but peanut oil can be used over and over without fear of overheating. You will be frying at about the max temp reg veg oil will take without beginning to degrade and burn/smoke.
If it is a one time fry you could substitute with Canola, that would be my second choice.
Enjoy.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Gettin Greasy

Thanks for the info. It will be a one time fry so I will probably just use the canola oil I have.

The instructions says to do the water thing if the frying pot does not have a max fill line. My pot does so the instructions says to fill the pot with oil to the fill line & put the turkey in. Does that make sense?

2001 f-350 7.3L ext.cab Non Dually. 273kmiles. DIY checkvalve vegistroke style. 40 gallon greasecar tank . 125k vegi miles. .
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 100,000
MacGyver Rating: 7

For the love of God, be sure the bird is completely thawed.
Greasin' since 2007
Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Can't say about the max fill line, it may be fine.
I always use the water method, it leaves no question about how much oil you need. Using more is a waste at best and dangerous at worst.
Definitely make sure it is completely thawed. That would likely be disastrous.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Gettin Greasy

Stupid question but why can't I just put the bird in the pot & then fill the pot with oil until the bird is covered & just start heating the oil with the bird still in it? Once the oil gets up to temp then start the timer. Wouldn't that be safer then putting the bird in the oil when its hot?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone0414 View Post
Stupid question but why can't I just put the bird in the pot & then fill the pot with oil until the bird is covered & just start heating the oil with the bird still in it? Once the oil gets up to temp then start the timer. Wouldn't that be safer then putting the bird in the oil when its hot?
I think the idea is to put the bird in hot oil to sear it and prevent a really greasy meat. Put the bird in, fill with water, remove bird and mark the water level to know how much oil to use.