BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default I would suggest a cold beer

Take a break from install if you don't need the truck ASAP. Think about something else. Go back and work on truck with a fresh mind. Use advice from Dave. I don't know too much about installing systems but if I get stumped or a road block during some mechanicing and then I push things ...I usually end up breaking something and causing more problems.

Set the wrench down. Walk away at least for a few minutes. Start back on page one with fresh mind and less stress.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseguy View Post
Really the only way to get coolant and diesel mix I would think is your tank with the coolant loop unless you really screwed the pooch with the fuel and coolant lines or drank way too many beers during install
I can't figure it out. I don't think it's even possible to put a diesel hose on a coolant fitting or vice versa since all of the hoses are such different sizes. This is the 5th or 6th truck I've converted, but since it was the first used kit I've installed I went all OCD and cleaned everything as good as I possibly could. I figure the V3 manifold was built so fuel and coolant can never mix.

I did say that I had put 25 gallons of diesel in the WVO tank, right?

On my first install the coolant loops in the tank had a leak and were dumping coolant into the WVO. Made some crazy white smoke and no power. Luckily I figured that one out in a hurry! I just don't know how it could go the other way with diesel in the coolant. The coolant was also really low (about half of the reservoir was empty), so my first thought was a head gasket or something not related to the conversion, but that's probably a pretty huge coincidence.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 AM
Senior Vegistroker

And a Google search resulted in this:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...l-coolant.html

Anybody hear of cracked injector cups leaking diesel into your coolant? Sounds like it's a common problem, and I sure hope that's not what is going on here.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Default maybr your injector cups are cracked

Maybe this is something to loo onto. The injector cups.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Default Are you having any cold start issues

Or lack of power, white smoke, rough idle?

My friends obs had diesel In coolant due to oring and cup issues according to local shop. His truck ran bad idled worse and would not start in the cold and even warm weather with original and cup issues. He replaced his own injectors and cups. Misread torque specs on injector bolts and righted bolts to 120 ft pounds. Broke bolt in head. Had to pull head to get broken bolt out. Had head machined replaces head that then blew a cylinder after wards. He over tightened everything.

Sorry for the aside...

Hopefully it's not your injector cups...
Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Fuel in coolant is usually injector cups. The only place in the VO system fuel and coolant can mix is in the tank - and the coolant is at a higher pressure than fuel, so fuel is not likely to get in coolant there.

The fuel will rise to the top of the system - it could have been leaking before and all green would come out down low in the system.

Unless you have TIH or some other HE (or a cracked V3 manifold?), there aren't many other options.

Riffraff has the best tool for doing cups. Figure about $450 for cups, sealant, tool rental, new injector o-rings, oil change, coolant flush, fresh ELC, etc. Probably ought to replace GP's while you're in there for another $80....

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Braaap Braaap

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: 10k
MacGyver Rating: 4.20

Quote:
Anybody hear of cracked injector cups leaking diesel into your coolant? Sounds like it's a common problem, and I sure hope that's not what is going on here.
This happened to Pez's truck last year on the way back from California (2001 7.3l converted for 4 years). He started puking veg from his coolant reservoir in the middle of the night. He said the truck was running fine and was in no position to assess in the dark middle of no where Nevada. Kept plugging toward Denver.

He made it back to Denver with a running truck. Tore it apart and found a tiny crack in one of the injector cups. He had to replace all rubber on the coolant side because of the veg contamination. Not sure if this happens with a diesel contamination, but I would clear up the coolant/diesel issue before screwing with the veg install anymore. The two issues (no veg green light and coolant/diesel mixing) do not sound like they are related.

Did the used system come to you with any issues from the PO or was it a "working" used system?

Last edited by MtnOilRig; 02-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:01 AM
Senior Vegistroker

System was supposed to be I good working condition. I'm out of town for a few days. Thanks for the info everyone!
So how hard is the injection cup job? I've replaced glow plugs a couple of times, but this one looks a bit more involved. I'm patient and thorough-is there a good possibility to mess anything up?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Also wondering what I should expect price-wise to have a shop do the job? Anybody have a ballpark on price/time the cups and glow plugs take to replace?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
Also wondering what I should expect price-wise to have a shop do the job? Anybody have a ballpark on price/time the cups and glow plugs take to replace?
Like I said earlier, budget $530 in parts for tool rental, cups, coolant, injector o-rings, oil change and GP's. I don't know what he book calls for, but this is pretty much an all day job including a proper coolant flush. Consider buying the parts and renting the tool yourself to eliminate mark-up by the shop. Maybe even let them do the cups and you do the low-skills req'd coolant flush to save $$$?

It's totally doable by a shade-tree/DIY mechanic, but it is possible to not get a good seal on the cups and have to do it over again. I've known a couple people who had this happen... If you decide to DIY, read a few different tutorials and threads to absorb as much advice as possible before ya turn wrenches.

Last edited by skyskijason; 02-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.