BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 02-15-2016, 04:15 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

So I got the timer cards set. The other LED was hiding under some wires. Tested the timing by using the Key On Engine Off, flip the switch to manual, turn switch to off, and time the lights. Put 25 gallons of diesel in the tank. Drove home 30 miles over a mountain pass and the green light on the switch never came on. It doesn't turn on in the "manual on" setting either. Truck did not go through the auto timed purge on shut down, but the LEDs stayed lit. Didn't pull the return hose to see if the purge cycle works (manually) since it was late and Valentine's Day and all.
What can I test from here other than pulling the return hose to test the purge/volume of fluid? Any ideas why the green light on the switch didn't come on? The coolant temp gauge on the dash (stock) didn't get quite as hot as my other truck-but I can't imagine it didn't get hot enough for the temp switch to kick on? I don't have a 203 thermostat in this truck yet...
Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Just to clarify my install-I did a full fuel bowl O Ring rebuild, used the VeggieGarage Check Valve relocate off of the fuel bowl, used stainless veggie and diesel lines to the heads. I installed an auxiliary fuse box (wired with a Carling style switch to turn on and off) for the V3 electronics and all of the other accessories I'm using (fog lights, rear fog lights, backup camera, etc.) as I didn't want to overload the "Key On" circuits in the truck. I installed SkySkiJason's Bosch aux coolant pump and the copper filter heater coils. Tank is an 80 gallon. I do have a fuel pressure gauge too.

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to trouble shoot and figure out what needs to happen to get the truck running on WVO! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Will reply I an hour or two. Going to parts store now.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Ok. Thanks for purchasing my 7.3 Engine Plumbing Kit. Lets attack this one step at a time.

#1. No green light in Manual on with key on. Check the main post at the control board that the battery main wire goes to. You should have voltage with key on or off. If not track down from battery connection. There is either a fuse or Circuit breaker in the main red power wire. IF you do have power now is a good time to check all fuses for power on BOTH sides of the fuses. They all get power all the time with key on or off.

#2 With Key on (no need to have engine running) and V3 switch in manual is the Veggie Pump running. Put your hand on it to feel if it is running.

If pump is running in manual and still no green light then either the light in the switch is burnt out or there is a problem in the (white wire) circuit.

We can do this here or email me at Dave@veggiegarage.com and I will give you my cell number for support.

Thanks,Dave
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Senior Vegistroker

#1-I tested the main post with a 12v test light and it has power. Checked the fuses on the timer card electronics and they are all good. Tested the tabs that the slide connectors connect to and they all have power. Tested both with no key and key on engine off.

#2-Pump seems to be running. I could feel a mechanical "grinding" when the pump was turned on. No green light. I can't get the green light to come on at all, in any mode. On my other truck it at least flashes when I'm switching between Auto and Manual (and Off for that matter)

#3-How do I trouble shoot the (white wire) circuit? I'm guessing it's not just the switch because the truck does not go through the Auto Purge/Run time when "Auto" is selected and the truck is turned off. Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Dave-I tried jumping the white wire, but I'm a little unclear on what to do. I hooked up a wire directly to the battery, unplugged the white wire plug under the dash, and pushed the hot wire into the end of the plug that goes to the timer card. No green light with key on engine off on the "Manual On" setting. Did I do this right?

From our conversation, do you recommend I switch the engine run wire from the White/Blue under-the-hood fuse box (truck is a 1999) to the Ignition Switch? I'm guessing this is the "Keep Alive" wire which is the Red/Black on Pin I1? I have my 2000 hooked up to the White/Blue wire any my truck has been purging properly for years.

Should I just buy a new switch and see if that fixes anything?

Any other suggestions or advice on troubleshooting?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 AM
Senior Vegistroker

So things seem to be going from bad to worse with the truck. I noticed the coolant was pretty low in the reservoir. The reservoir tank is pretty cloudy, and I remembered the coolant being green when I teed into the coolant lines for the veggie install, but wanted to make sure. I dipped a paper towel into it and it came out brownish. I smelled it and it smells like diesel!

How's this possible? I did take the manifold apart completely, cleaned the crap out of it, cleaned all of the components as good as possible, replaced the plugs, and reassembled. One of the O rings for the Pressure Regulator (the weird square ones) was shot, and I replaced it with a slightly larger Viton O ring.

So, where is it possible for diesel to mix in with the coolant? Is it at all possible that I messed something up with the manifold? Is it possible for it to mix in the tank? Or is it possible that it's not related to the WVO system at all? Possible head gasket?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:31 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default Maybe the coolant loop In your Wvo tank is damaged

Maybe check that tank to see if the fuel turned green?
Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseguy View Post
Maybe check that tank to see if the fuel turned green?
I'll check that. I peeked in, but couldn't tell without pulling some diesel out (I did put about 25 gallons of diesel in the tank to test the system).

Do you think this is the most likely way it could have happened?

Last edited by biostroker; 02-16-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default Injector orings

My friends obs for some diesel in the coolant due to bad injector orings according to a diesel shop but I think in was minimal amount of diesel

Really the only way to get coolant and diesel mix I would think is your tank with the coolant loop unless you really screwed the pooch with the fuel and coolant lines or drank way too many beers during install