BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100K+
$ Estimated Saved: A TON
Default Front end bouncing while breaking

I have a 1999.5 f350 that seems to have a front end hop while breaking. I thought it was warped rotors so I had them turned and put new pads on. It did not help. The old pads were warn evenly. The truck drives straight and breaks straight. The hop is not felt in the break pedal or the steering wheel. I am thinking it might be my front shocks. The shocks on the truck are bilsteins and have at least 160k. I'm sure it is closer to 200K though. Does anyone have any experience with the symptoms I am having?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: y=Mx+b

At 160K, those shocks are completely shot and doing virtually nothing for you. I'd bet dollars to donuts that's your problem. Even if not, they need to be replaced, so I would start there for sure.
2006 F350 CC KR SRW - V3 SSB Mantis Pump Head
Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

I've never had good luck turning warped rotors on these trucks. They always warp again in short order. Pad choice is also a huge factor in preventing warped rotors.

I use lifetime warranty (Bosch) rotors from oriellys and EBC Yellowstuff pads. The EBC Greenstuff pads are a little less aggressive and probably last longer if you don't think you need the best braking you can get.

I agree, your shocks are probably worn out but by themselves wouldn't normally cause a shake during braking. Check for loose ball joints, tie rod ends, unit bearings, etc.

You'll often feel warped rear rotors in the brake pedal. Front rotors are generally felt in the steering wheel. The shake or pulse will vary from not noticeable to take the wheel out of your hands depending on braking conditions.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100K+
$ Estimated Saved: A TON

I checked into lifetime rotors but they don't offer them in the 13" rotor. Can I use 13" break calipers on a 14.5 rotor? I am definitely doing shocks.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anii23 View Post
I checked into lifetime rotors but they don't offer them in the 13" rotor. Can I use 13" break calipers on a 14.5 rotor? I am definitely doing shocks.
Bosch does have a 13" rotor for our trucks. I'm picking up a pair today under warranty.

No, you need F450/550 knuckles, caliper brackets, calipers and pads to run the bigger brakes. Oh, and bigger wheels! If I ever go to 19.5 wheels on my dually, I'll be doing this!! In the back, supposedly we can just swap hubs (on dually's anyway) and run the big brake stuff as well..