BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
I'd look into these adventure trailer company. They make some bad ass offroad pop up tent/ trailer tent set ups.
Those do look nice! The only concern would be how well the tent would hold up in the snow. I have a snug top shell on right now and built a sleeping bed that sits over the top of the tank and extends 7' out from there. My girl loves the hot tank at night. Even after insulating the tank I find it to be a little warm.

I am thinking along the lines of this. http://www.equipt1.com/item/grandby-8-long-bed Combine it with a flatbed with tanks on the side and storage boxes under.

Another alternative is to get the same camper as above, but in the 6'8" version and keep the tank where it is. The camper would hang out to the outer end of the bumper, which is perfect. Build a locking storage box on top of the tank that would be the width of the cab x the depth of the tank (20" front to back) x the height to the top of the cab (about 24"). The storage box would sit on the bed rails and could even be tapered to match the width of the cab to camper transition. The top of the camper would be slid back off the cab 20", leaving room on top of the cab for a roof rack system. That eliminates the cost of buying a flatbed. Hmmmmm....
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Vegistroker

Taking it to the next level.

http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle-v/
Old 04-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
I am thinking along the lines of this. http://www.equipt1.com/item/grandby-8-long-bed Combine it with a flatbed with tanks on the side and storage boxes under.
Thats the route I am going. Not too worried about wvo capacity though. My first trip wil be down to the southern tip of the baja peninsula or to Belize so after I get S. of the border, I'll be doing good to find clean dry d2 let alone wvo. D2 in Mehico is likely close to free compared to here.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 6?

So here's what I ended up getting. It's small and light and we don't have to deal with popping it up when we get to camp. It sits behind the tank so it looks a little weird, but I'm planning on building a box to go in that space for storing gear, firewood or whatever we don't want in the cab or camper. Haven't gotten to try it out yet because I just had to have the rear end rebuilt and put in a Yukon posi. Maybe this weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper1.jpg (97.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

That load all behind the axle is not a good idea. What's it weigh?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 6?

about 1100 pounds. it actually drives much better than the other one I had that sat farther forward. I hardly know it's there. I figure with a full tank of Veg and all the other gear that will be in the area between the cab and the camper it should spread the weight out. The water tank is in the very front of the camper so it sits right over the axle and it is actually sitting a bit farther forward now. When I got it, the PO had some blocks on the front to keep it back from the front of his bed but I took them off to get it as far forward as possible.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:58 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Thats the route I am going. Not too worried about wvo capacity though. My first trip wil be down to the southern tip of the baja peninsula or to Belize so after I get S. of the border, I'll be doing good to find clean dry d2 let alone wvo. D2 in Mehico is likely close to free compared to here.
Just an idea. Take out the rear seat and add a svo tank in it's place since only two of you will be travelling alone. Add a day tank outside the cab to heat the oil. Load will be centered and hopefully offset the top heavy camper.

Mounting would be critical. You wouldn't want 90 gallons or so crushing you if you got into an accident. Could extend your cheap d2 trip. Then again, make sure the scorpion can handle the viscosity, or add a bypass FASS.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

I fabricated two steel 34 gal tanks that fit fwd of the bed fender wells. Each has its own filler cap, fuel sending unit, shut off valve, and each is connected to a three way mechanical valve on the left side of the driver's seat. A three way position switch is used to read the fuel level using the trk's fuel gauge. Once I figure out how to send pics, I will post them.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:29 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000

sounds like you have it figured out regarding the weight and how it drives. Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:00 AM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K

The first set of aux tanks (15 gals each) I fabricated were placed under the bed just fwd of the rear wheels. The filler necks were just fwd of the rear wheels. The in-cab tank was 20 gals but the total range wasn't enough as we traveled quite a bit with the '64 Avion PU 10' camper. I still use the Avion to go gold prospecting in CA. The next set of tanks were the two 34's. Depending on the terrain, mts or flat, the Perkins 6-354 diesel gets 20 mpg with the camper loaded - 23 mpg empty.