BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10
Default Closest person to me?

Who's the closest person to me with a good working CF? I am still getting bubbles in my HPT. My primary spin on filter plugs after about 30min of filtering after it settled for 48 hours from a 170* heating. If someone near here has a CF I'd like to get like a gallon of this batch to you and see if it comes out of your CF with out bubbles. I'm ready to blow up my garage.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Keep in mind ANY fuel/solvent in the oil will give a false positive/bubbles. For example, fuel from your on-board VO tank will have some diesel in it.

I rinsed a water bottle out with alcohol once to 'dry' it before using it to collect a sample of clean oil. Even though it was visibly dry, that oil crackled like a slab of raw bacon when we splashed it in the pan. Kinda freaked out the guy I just filled up with 'clean' WVO!! After getting another sample in a CLEAN container, it passed with flying colors.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Big Red is in CA I think...dont know if he uses a CF though. I can promise a CF will cure your issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

Time to vacuum dewater.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Gettin Greasy

I have successfully dewatered 1000's of gallons of WVO by simple H&S. During that time, I have had some high fats/PHO that was 'difficult' to dewater. I also had oil that required more than 48hrs to separate.

My experience has been there is no advantage to heating over 110-120* for H&S. We are just reducing the viscosity of the oil to expedite the settling process.

If you NEED this oil right now, I have been successful at removing the bubbles by vacuum dewatering 'difficult' or stubborn oil. If you can wait, set this batch aside and let it settle a few weeks - then pull off the top and H&S again.

Keep us posted!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
VegiRammer

- Jason- I never thought about D2 causing bubbles. I had oil in my tank that plugged my filter quick, so I pumped it out and into this batch. That could be contributing. Anyway to figure out if that's it?
This is an entirely different batch this time from the first bad HPT and still has a bad HPT. I think it's water from a bad batch a while back settled in the bottom of the HWH that I just can't get all out.

- Matt and Jason- Something that confused me on the vaccuum dewater; how does it build a vaccuum in the HWH and not suck oil up? Maybe I'm missing something?

- Clay- yeah Lee is actually in my town. We've hung out a few times down here. He doesn't use a CF, but has access to a buddy's that is in Hawaaii for a year. He called me yesterday after reading this and said he would pick it up and we are gonna hook it up at my house and give it a whirl.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB

Last edited by All American; 07-26-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

PM sent...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Gettin Greasy

The diesel in that oil WILL produce bubbles. TRACE amounts in the still could easily produce bubbles in future batches.

Put a sample of oil in a clear container and look for water to settle out. They can't use PHO out there, so you should be dealing with 'clear' oil. Is there a high fat content?

You are removing the AIR from the space above the oil. The oil level should remain the same. I use an A/C vacuum pump and leave it on for an hour or so - pulling 27" of vacuum after the first few minutes. It will work best with warm/hot oil. Some like to crack a valve at the bottom and 'bubble' air up through the oil. I never liked this 'cause I'm trying HARD not to stir up the oil!! (hence the S part of H&S) Just like cycling oil thru still for multiple passes always seemed like a dumb idea to me...

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 AM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
The diesel in that oil WILL produce bubbles. TRACE amounts in the still could easily produce bubbles in future batches.

Put a sample of oil in a clear container and look for water to settle out. They can't use PHO out there, so you should be dealing with 'clear' oil. Is there a high fat content?

You are removing the AIR from the space above the oil. The oil level should remain the same. I use an A/C vacuum pump and leave it on for an hour or so - pulling 27" of vacuum after the first few minutes. It will work best with warm/hot oil. Some like to crack a valve at the bottom and 'bubble' air up through the oil. I never liked this 'cause I'm trying HARD not to stir up the oil!! (hence the S part of H&S) Just like cycling oil thru still for multiple passes always seemed like a dumb idea to me...
Everything I pour out doesn't have anything settle at all, yet the filter on the truck plugs within 100 miles. It has to be water. I'll hook up a vaccuum setup this weekend and see what I get. Thanks everybody.