BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > Vegistroke Testimonials

Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Miles on Grease: 157000
MacGyver Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to muns53
Default Excursions

This is a note my oldest daughter, Abbi, wrote as a junior in high school - pretty well sums up what the veggin' experience is all about to our family...

"Excursions"
College English
11/9/15

Drifting in and out of sleep, I lay back in one of the cracked leather seats of my dad’s black Excursion. A blanket lay over my shoulders and my left hip, uncomfortable with the seat belt buckle digging into my skin, begins to throb. A small bump in the highway jarred me awake completely. My eyes adjusted to the darkness and the truck engine my dad was so proud of, sounded louder now that I was fully conscious. The dashboard clock read 2:37 AM in bright green letters.

Dad, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding his ever present travel coffee mug, whispered to me, “Hey Abs, go back to sleep.” I peered out the window to see the most beautiful sky and knew that amazement would overshadow sleep.

I had never seen stars this bright before, but I also had never been to Utah either. It was August 13th, and the heat of the summer day had subsided into a cool and crisp western night... Day seven of our epic three week family road trip across the country. The truck rumbled along a lonely highway with a landscape of red rocks silhouetted across the horizon, while the sky illuminated in Constellations; billions of glowing lights outlined to perfection.

With my mom in the passenger seat next to dad, and my three siblings taking up the seats around me, I stared out the windows mesmerized. Slowly, one by one, everyone started to wake up as if being called into consciousness by some powerful unseen force. Rumblings of stiff necks and charlie horses turned into awe as we each began to peer out the windows of the truck. At this point no one could go back to sleep in our cramped positions.

"Do you know what that constellation is?” my mom asked us in a sleepy voice. Then she told us the stories of Orion the hunter in his belt, the seven sisters, and Cassiopeia. My mind wandered into the oblivion. I had forgotten all about the argument I had with Zoe over who would sit where; the annoyance of my Luke kicking the back of my chair; how I complained about my feet hurting earlier. All that mattered were the people around me and the indescribable joy I felt in being isolated with them in that moment cruising down the road in the middle of the night. My family and I against the world. This was by far the greatest adventure we had ever taken. In my mind, we had the truck to thank for that.

The next morning I woke up as usual, still in the truck, same clothes, same pain in my left hip. The sun replaced the stars above us and the color of the desert rocks saturated in a deep shade of scarlet. The trip continued as normal, but of course it wasn’t. My appreciation for every new brilliant landscape we saw, set of rocks we scrambled, and direction we drove intensified.

My family and I shared countless adventures seated on those beat up leather benches, listening to the loud diesel rumble as we traveled to simple gymnastic and soccer practices or church every Sunday morning. That veggie oil fueled truck is always at the center of weekend ski trips, late night concerts, or day trips to great hiking destinations in the northeast. Hours were spent falling into the worlds of Harry Potter, the Hobbit and Despereaux through the audio system as miles of road zoomed by traveling to far off places like Colorado, Arizona, Florida or the Carolinas. Everyone has a different way of measuring their childhood. Maybe it was a costume you wore everyday no matter the occasion, a song you used to sing with your best friend, or the food you couldn’t go a day without. For me, my earliest, sweetest memories all began in the truck we called, “the Munson Bus.” Now as I learn to drive her myself, a new adventure begins. Trust me when I say, as frightening as it seems to both my parents and me, sitting in the driver’s seat of that big black truck feels a bit like being welcomed home by an old friend. With her low rumble, she promises, “Let’s go, I have somewhere wonderful to explore.”
ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Braaap Braaap

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: 10k
MacGyver Rating: 4.20

Did not think it possible, MAYBE it was because we went to a Kindergarten roundup for my 5 year old today (mock first day of kindergarten, meet the teachers) and I'm emotional....but I shed a BFT tear...embarrassed no, surprised YES!

Love how she says "my luke", that is a good sister.

If we are at all alike, you're not near as worried about her driving around that excursion as say a 1990 Honda Accord or whatever else really. Mass protects.

Excited to meet the Munson Bus and its family this summer.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 AM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

Go Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Loved this!

This is the coolest family I know!! You guys rock!!! I know you are proud that Abbi gets it.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 48 k
$ Estimated Saved: Stacks of Jacksons!
MacGyver Rating: 5.6

Strong!! That really tells the tale of why we mess with the junk we do right there. You guys have been all over the place in the Munson Bus it seems, way to go man, that's really cool and Brave that you've led your family on those 'Excursions'
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Awesome story!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:55 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Memories you'll never forget to be passed down generations, and you brought back some of mine.

I think back to the days my kids in the F350 and Ex. My daughter started driving with her permit on the truck, and took the driving test in the Ex. The Examiner said "No way" and she and I had a good laugh. She passed with flying colors. She was the envy of all the boys in High School.

Wait till your daughter starts driving. especially with your travels your family has been on. The freedom she'll have not being a slave to oil.

Not many kids will have this opportunity.

You won't see the Ex. unless it needs a refill. Trust me!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:38 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

I think she'll need her own X.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

kids can sure make us parents proud at times.
my son and I will always remember our trip back to Canada from Daves veggie garage on AZ. Driving our first veg truck. 4 days on the road .
Old 05-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
I think she'll need her own X.
And I know where she can get one already converted!