BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 105,000
MacGyver Rating: pffft
Default Absolute Centrifuge Question

Been a bit since I've been around. I had a unexpected heart issues surprise me the first of last year but we're back in the game. (pretty sure god and the devil got together and neither of them wanted me so they left me here ) Anyway......., the dieselcraft centrifuge I've used for the past is becoming problematic and I'm going to switch over to a gravity unit. I've looked at Simple and Absolute. I'm leaning on going with the Absolute because of it being plug and play. I've noticed Simple has a new feed cone that to me makes lots of sense. Does anyone know if Absolute has introduced a newer feed system to avoid splashing vs just drop feeding the oil into the rotor?

If it walks like a duck.....
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Gettin Greasy

I have just purchased a new Absolute (6 mo. ago) and mine came with a 1/2"black pipe dropping the oil about 1/8" from the bottom of the bowl. It worked great right out of the box and after about 1000 gal has NEVER had any vibration.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 4

Also interested in this as I am about to buy an Absolute.
Not sure if the current free shipping deal will apply to the Yukon though.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Senior Vegistroker

This video was what prompted the question. It appears in the video he introduces the oil from a rather high position vs the 1/8" above the bottom of the bowl as Imagreaser says the Absolute does. Would think introducing the oil that close would prevent the "splashing" talked about in the video but I don't know.

http://youtu.be/fTOUHf87uHY

Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 48 k
$ Estimated Saved: Stacks of Jacksons!
MacGyver Rating: 5.6

I've got the absolute and love it, the oil is dropped in so close to the bottom that a feed cone isn't necessary. The heater element control device is pretty slick also, it seems to maintain a more consistent temp and at a more efficient energy consumption.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 80k
MacGyver Rating: 4 sober...

im on the bubble for a fuge. was leaning toward simple fuge like on their site. gravity tank into a 2.5 gallon water heater then into fuge but after seeing the absolute with the timer and heater it looks pretty sweet and would make a much cleaner install.

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter DIY FrybriStroke - 140k on WVO since 2007 (2015 Back to D2)
Old 08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Gettin Greasy

The way that I use mine is first the oil sets in totes for about a month. Then I draw (vacume) it into the a WH and heat to about 120* and let it set for about 48 hrs. I have my 50 gal WH setting with a 1/2" rod under the center and have it pitched to the valve on the bottom. After setting the 48 hrs I drain off about 2 gal from the bottom valve and then "roll" the WH on the 1/2" rod and pitch the WH away from the bottom valve. I let it set for a couple of hrs for any residue on the bottom of the WH to move away from the bottom valve. Then using pressure I push the oil out the bottom valve up into my gravity feed barrel and from there in to the fuge.
I feel that it is important, JMHO, to dewater before the fuge. My purpose in writing this is to show why I think it is important to use a preheater on the fuge. In my case it would be necessary to reheat my oil again in the WH taking more time and stirring up any residue left in the WH after the original draining. The Absolute CF has the preheater set so the temp of the oil does not change more then a couple of degrees therefore making it very easy to fine tune your setup. I clean my fuge after every tote of oil and there has never been more then 1/8" of junk in the bowl. It works for me.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Well I took the plunge. Spoke with Lars a few days ago. He confirmed what others have said that introducing the oil at the bottom of the bowl works great. I got notice today that I should have my fuge next week.

Haven't decided exactly how I will set it up. Will see how much of my current system I can use and go from there. I'm excited.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allofus123 View Post
Well I took the plunge. Spoke with Lars a few days ago. He confirmed what others have said that introducing the oil at the bottom of the bowl works great. I got notice today that I should have my fuge next week.

Haven't decided exactly how I will set it up. Will see how much of my current system I can use and go from there. I'm excited.
Look at my setup in the thread I wroteup, it works very well and its simple. congrats!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Thanks Clay.... I've been looking at your write up on your setup almost everyday...lol. I'm pretty sure mine will resemble a three barrel configuration. I'd really like to set up a dirty tote, pump up to a gravity barrel, then centrifuge into the clean tote. Not sure I'll have room in the garage for two totes so I may have to down scale. decisions decisions.....