BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6
Default Fryer to cubie?

Got a call yesterday from a new client to collect their oil

How should they go from the fryer to the cubie? What's been working for you? Thank you.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

I dont know if thats a good idea unless they are sure the oil is cooled enough to not melt the cubie. If you was closer I'd hook you up with one of my home made collection barrels and a stand.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Big Sky Country

I don't want to put a barrel outside because they freeze here in winter so I'd have to hook the crane up. I have two barrels at another account, but they stay in a heated outbuilding!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2GN2 View Post
I don't want to put a barrel outside because they freeze here in winter so I'd have to hook the crane up. I have two barrels at another account, but they stay in a heated outbuilding!
Yep, I understand that. Even here in OK the cold was sometimes an issue.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Looks like cubie + funnel will be too tall. Maybe a 'custom funnel'?

That does not look like a cam-lock fitting on the valve, so no way to put anything on it right? Perhaps invest in a valve that can handle the heat and has a cam-lock fitting? Then you could make a fitting that hooks to the valve with a short piece of hose??

Maybe supply them 5 gal buckets instead of using cubies? Do they produce 5 gal buckets? Thick ones (like drywall mud and home cheapo buckets) will take 200* oil just fine - but, if they snap the lid tight will its hot and it cools off there is a fun science experiment!! I've had a few sources that I would swap 'clean' 5 gal buckets with full buckets when I picked up oil.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Big Sky Country

The valve is threaded. Not enough room for a cubie. Maybe I'll give them 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2GN2 View Post
The valve is threaded. Not enough room for a cubie. Maybe I'll give them 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids.
I couldn't see the threads! But, any apparatus you build will be misused, make a mess and eventually be lost... Investing in enough buckets to swap them out seems like a better idea. Snap on lids work fine, but they are harder for you to open (especially with a vacuum inside!). Some of my sources produced enough buckets to put all their WVO in and I just picked up buckets full of oil. Other places, I've swapped buckets out each week.

Also, cubies are waaaay more likely to be over filled than buckets!!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

Lots of options
. I have different ways of doing things at different locations. I switch out drums With new drums in the cold at some. just use a hand cart with a ratchet strap around handle and 55gal drum. Nice to have someone help you push them up into the back of the truck or a low flat bed trailer is even easier, of course.
Also Some places put their oil into aluminum cooking pots. they then pour in the cubies with a funnel . I give these places a free funnel , if they don't have one.. Nice to just pick up QB's and go. For the places that don't want to pour the pots to the cubies I just ask them to keep their cubies and do it when I get there. Hopefully they have extra cooking pots. For some reason my restaurants always seem to have an abundance of these big pots.
I have had one place that melted a thick plastic bucket. I left the buckets for them to use them as skyski said but they were kind of pissed when it melted and oil all over their kitchen floor. it must have been extremely hot. But what may be common sense to you may not some people . So now they only use aluminum cooking pots there too.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

I'd avoid handling the oil hot/cool while in the restaurant's fryer - liability for spills. Might suggest contacting the manufacturer of the fryer and see if a nozzle is available from them, i.e. the female threads shown in the pic. The restaurants I pick up wants the oil out right away so the fryer can be cleaned and back in operation ASAP. Large aluminum pots are used to gather the oil and allowed to cool under a prep table. I wouldn't trust a plastic container even if the oil seems WARM let alone hot! Consider using a metal WWWII type "Jerry" gasoline can to transport the hot oil.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Military Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 65339
$ Estimated Saved: 9999
MacGyver Rating: 7.0

most fyrers i have seen have a little "J" pipe attachment that screws in there to allow them to pour it back into a bucket. What i have done before is get them like 4 or 5, 5 gallon buckets with lids. Then they can fill the buckets and you pick them up and just change them out. Provides for easier pouring when you get home, you wont be able to tell where the sludge and oil seperate but it worked for me for a while.