Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 19,000
$ Estimated Saved: -0
MacGyver Rating: -3.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
If you are able to be selective when you collect oil, you can probably avoid most of the water and fats. This makes filtering much easier. I have collected plenty of oil that could have been pumped thru a filter and into my truck. (after H&S I've used all but a pint in a 55gal drum)
Hard to be perfectly selective on a roadtrip where you see each source for the first time. Unfortunately the quality is often hard to gauge when you're out there (depending on light, temperature, other conditions) and would have to take the decision to pump the WVO into your collection tank or not.

Wow, all but a pint of waste per drum is pretty bold. During my first half year of home filtration I also had no sediment and very little water in the bottom after prefiltering & H & S, using the Hot Pan Test (HPT). Still, I never used the bottom third of the prefiltration/heating/settling drum.

Interestingly, after letting the pre-filtered oil sit in the first drum for 5 months while I was traveling elsewhere, I now noticed for the first time a massive amount of crackling when testing the bottom 4 gallons of the drum. I tossed the bottom two gallons for good measure (assuming there might be more sediment and water), and am reheating the barrel to try and remove the water. I wonder where this water came from, perhaps just absorption of water from the air in my basement (air temperature 60F) ? I also started filtering some oil that is a bit dirtier than most of my other oil, but as it had been sitting now for 6 months in cubies I felt I could try it. Some of it still didn't seem useable so I'll toss it.
My pre-filter is a very fine cotton cloth and usually takes out pretty much everything (proof: the 1 micron bag filter in my second barrel is still the first one after 1 year of use .
And as I am prefiltering at 60F anything fatty, thick or creamy doesn't pass the cotton, and it seems that filtering this creamy stuff out helps at the same time to filter out a lot of smaller sediment and water that bonds with the thicker oil.

I tested the second barrel (where I kept oil that was settled for 4 months after H&S in the first barrel and bag-filtered to 1 micron) and found no crackling nor any bubbles with the HPT.
I'm currently heating up the first barrel a bit higher than normal (200 F for two days) and will retest then after cooling/settling.

Now: all of this filtering above is at home. On the road none of the above would be possible.
I guess I will have to install the Dieselcraft centrifuge and do some test runs at home first to have some comparative results.

Quote:
Chances are anything creamy or cloudy is going to need more love than that type of CF can provide. I have located a 55gal drum near 'camp' and H&S'd oil in front of the camper many times. Worst case scenario for you is to have to stop for a couple days and prep some oil for the CF.
Again, drawing the line for what is too much cloudy-ness is tough. How do you do that.
Otherwise, that should be possible, I will be on the road a long time and should have some times where I will be stationary for several days. I don't think I will be removing the dirty/active filtration tank from the van, though (as mentioned, I am thinking to install a dirty oil collection tank under the van like Puresoul108).

Lugging another barrel around is not an option with the space I have in the van trunk (I'll keep up to 12 cubies with filtered oil stacked on top of the heated tank, as it seems to be a good way to settle out some more sediments as you confirmed), a trailer is out of the question for the South America trip.

Quote:
And for peace of mind, something quantitative like Sandy Brae test kit would be a good investment. Then, you test every batch of oil before putting it in the main tank. You may decide to run some of that 'filtered' oil you get from others through your system!!
Yes, I had done some testing with the HPT on these cubies from other WVO'ers, but for practicality reasons while traveling I ended up not testing all of them, and only one sample each time I filled something directly into my van's clean WVO tank.
Indeed, $350 for the digital version of the Sandy Brae kit is quite an investment. It only seems to test for free water. What about suspended and emulsified water?
Who in the BFT community has bought and used this kit, and what results/experiences?

Quote:
That stuff ya see settling out in the cubies is particulates that were not filtered out. In theory, what is not caught by the trucks filter goes bang in the combustion chamber without issue. The holes in our injector tips are something like 30mic and at up to 20k psi, not much is gonna stop them from flowing. I see this most in oil I get from people who use bag filters as primary filter...
Interesting, thanks. That gives me some more doubts about the Donaldson filter. Please see my questions about 4 versus 9 micron and water filtering on the Donaldson filter thread ?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

If the oil passes through the Donaldson, all is well on the other end.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

Justjames:
I've posted my design for a compact mobile CF system. Do a search for Dragonfly for my description and a line diagram. Hope it will help you. As I stated in the post, I use a similar design (also posted pictures) for the stationary CF WVO cleaning that is in my cleaning room located in the grarag.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 19,000
$ Estimated Saved: -0
MacGyver Rating: -3.03
Question compact mobile CF system

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
I've posted my design for a compact mobile CF system. I use a similar design (also posted pictures) for the stationary CF WVO cleaning that is in my cleaning room located in the grarag.
I saw the pics of your garage CF system and the schematic drawing of your planned mobile system.

That's why I was curious to see photos and experiences if you actually built your mobile system.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

CampVan
I had converted my 1969 Chevy C20/Perkins diesel to VO last year and drove it for about 2500 miles on VO. Unfortunately, I didn't purge the IP long enough to clear the VO from the IP, thus the rings started to coke. No compression to start up, pulled the engine, I pulled the engine, I rebuilt and installed a newer version of the Perkins with dynoed to 180 hp. Decided not to run the Perkins on WVO and therefore, the VO components were pulled and also no further work on installing the CF mobile system.

Tags
centrifuge, filtration, mobile