BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 09-10-2015, 06:09 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

MTC- I added a fiberglass window screen over the top of the expanded metal to keep food out of the oil - very effective and easy to shake out. To slow down the "grease thief", I welded a 4"x4"x3/16" plate with a 1/2" pipe union welded to the underside of the plate and then welded under expanded metal. Even with the above steps taken, the first "grease thieves" used a crow bar to pry the welds loose to gain access. The second group of "grease thieves" used a 12VDC battery powered angle grinder with a cutting wheel to slice through the expanded metal to gain access to the WVO. I collect at other restaurants that have commercial renderes' bins. Even those bins have had similar cuts through 3/16" plate steel. After hours of research, I'm leaning toward the design of the Phoenix 110 gal bin (www.70centsagallon.com - (941-870-7343) sold on E-Bay $359). Best locking mech. I've seen, easy to clean the bottom and heavy metal construction. To discourage the thieves, I's emptying the 55's each week in order to make their trip non productive - I hope!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

I have the expanded metal grate in the top as well. I bought 400 micron barrel top strainers to set in the top to catch food chunks. My only collection barrel in service now is setting inside the back door of the restaurant so no thieves can get to it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:42 PM
dragonfly

Miles on Grease: Over 80K
MacGyver Rating: 8

Clay - nice setup! I use fiberglass window screen to strain out the very small particles when the restaurant folks pour their WVO into the 55 drum. To frustrate the WVO thieves, I empty the drum each week. The last thief dented down the drum edge to pry up the expanded metal. Another time the thief used a 12 VDC unit fitted with a cutting wheel to cut a long slice down the middle of the expanded metal. I plan to replace the thin expanded metal with the heaviest gauge and weld it in about down 6" down. To pump the WVO, I welded a 1/2" black pipe union to a 3"x1/4" sq. then a 28" x 1/2" black pipe. Seems to stop the access to the oil, but not destroying the drum.