BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-05 Excursion

Old 09-25-2016, 03:28 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

I just had a deck filler (google for options) mounted in the vertical part of wheel well above and behind tire on my custom tank (not RDS). The only issue was the run of hose to tank was almost level, so fuel would trickle out while filling. I used a piece of hose that would fit over fuel nozzle and snake past the first bend to prevent spillage. I put 120k miles on it like that.

If you are using this for diesel, how will you transfer fuel to main tank?

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Just checking back in, been a heckuva couple weeks. Anyone have suggestions about going with the alternate filling location (and places to look for more detailed info on others experiences), or if their door will work in an exterior location? I got an email from them last week asking about what I was going to do, because I was trying to decide between the 30 gallon I ordered and the 40 gallon, because in the install instructions, it appeared that the 40 gal hangs down pretty low, and they were holding the order for me till I decided.

I would like to give him the go ahead to order the 40, as I was told that it didn't hang inordinately low, but I would like to decide if this filler door is the best idea for me or not, and leaning towards not - at least in it's intended install location, right next to my interior in an open door - but still looking for help with alternate methods/locations of filling the tank if not using that. Or if that filler in a different location (wheel well was suggested?) might be an option? Thoughts, guys? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 AM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

I would convert the main tank to wvo and build a smaller d2 tank like mtnoilrig.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Actually, you may have missed where I posted earlier that I am just getting this tank for added capacity, the WVO part won't be used. This is pretty much the only one that I have found, and at this point am just concerned with filling. Though I just had a (possibly?) great idea. Instead of having a fuel filler in the door frame, how about a transfer pump between the tanks?

That would eliminate me having to fabricate a fuel selector setup, which I have found but are OEM parts (which is all I would use) and priced at about $225 plus the in cab parts to control it, plus the fuel door ($500) and the associated install costs. I would think that I could buy a very decent external fuel pump for less that that total cost, and it would be pretty much invisible. Downsides, other than if there is a pump failure with an aux full tank of diesel...? Certainly not as clean and professional a setup as a true dual tank with the selector switch, and I'd have to pay attn when filling of course.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alha View Post
Actually, you may have missed where I posted earlier that I am just getting this tank for added capacity, the WVO part won't be used. This is pretty much the only one that I have found, and at this point am just concerned with filling. Though I just had a (possibly?) great idea. Instead of having a fuel filler in the door frame, how about a transfer pump between the tanks?

That would eliminate me having to fabricate a fuel selector setup, which I have found but are OEM parts (which is all I would use) and priced at about $225 plus the in cab parts to control it, plus the fuel door ($500) and the associated install costs. I would think that I could buy a very decent external fuel pump for less that that total cost, and it would be pretty much invisible. Downsides, other than if there is a pump failure with an aux full tank of diesel...? Certainly not as clean and professional a setup as a true dual tank with the selector switch, and I'd have to pay attn when filling of course.
I would consider tee'ing the factory fill hose and possibly fill both tanks at once. I would not recommend the complication of a stock-type dual tank set-up. Definitely pump from aux tank to the main tank. If the fillers were together, you wouldn't even have to worry about overflowing the main tank - it would just return to the aux tank.

Get an OEM-range fuel level sender though. That way you can toggle the gauge on dash between the two tanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thanks for the thoughts, I cancelled the order for the filler assy, because the thought of it puking diesel into my interior was too much to bear, so I will do it another way. I am getting the 40 gallon version, I hope it doesn't hang too low, as I haven't done the B-C spring mod on it yet. The order was sent to the fabricating shop about 2-3 weeks ago, and I was told it takes about 4 weeks to produce and ship it, so hopefully it'll arrive before thanksgiving. I'll post when I receive it, and then the thoughts of mounting and and figuring out about the filling situation will begin in earnest.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

the 40 gal. tank hangs down 3" more than the 30. The 30 is 10" deep and the 40 is 13" deep.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Mad scientist

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: -45,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.5

Alha-

FWIW, the filler does not have to be inside the door jam- You can rotate it 90 and have it in the fender on the outside of the vehicle as well. Not sure why that option is not in the instructions. Install is not that hard at all.

As for tying it in to your OEM system, Transferring to the OEM tank would be easiest using a 3 way solenoid that ties into the OEM supply from the tank. This way you don't need a seprate lift pump, the OEM tank will pull from your auxiliary tank and return to the factory tank. Once refilled, shut off the 3 way. line. Or you could use 2 3 ways to plumb into both supply and return setting it up as a true second tank.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Cool

I don't know what to say but I like your tank! Live22
Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 PM
live22easy.com

live22

https://www.live22easy.com/