BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > Introduce Yourself Here

Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Lot of variables.

1) Where are you located? Local or close Vegistroke users are a wealth of info and experience.
2) Do you have an oil source?
3) Do you have an area to filter and store and filter oil without CC&R's, and neighbors with nothing to do but complain? (Experienced CC&R's and nosey neighbor.)
4) How far do you plan on driving the truck a week to figure out your ROI.
5) Will this off set your fuel bill? I'm sure it will but I gotta ask.
6) If you can't afford the equipment now, could you do a personal loan?

Your 2500 mile trip would use 250 gallons @ 3.00 per gallon (at 10mpg) saving 750.00. Could be more or less depending how you drive, conditions, and weight.

Two days to install the V4. You don't have to fill it with oil that you don't have now, and post your route for Vegistrokers to buy oil. Again, Vegistrokers with a wealth of information.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:48 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
Lot of variables.

1) Where are you located? Local or close Vegistroke users are a wealth of info and experience.
2) Do you have an oil source?
3) Do you have an area to filter and store and filter oil without CC&R's, and neighbors with nothing to do but complain? (Experienced CC&R's and nosey neighbor.)
4) How far do you plan on driving the truck a week to figure out your ROI.
5) Will this off set your fuel bill? I'm sure it will but I gotta ask.
6) If you can't afford the equipment now, could you do a personal loan?

Your 2500 mile trip would use 250 gallons @ 3.00 per gallon (at 10mpg) saving 750.00. Could be more or less depending how you drive, conditions, and weight.

Two days to install the V4. You don't have to fill it with oil that you don't have now, and post your route for Vegistrokers to buy oil. Again, Vegistrokers with a wealth of information.
Iím in Michigan. Between Lansing and Detroit, I have a source of 2500 gallons wvo. I do not know the condition of the oil though. I do have about a one car garage sized area to work with, I do have an area outside for storage in maybe a 500 gallon tank maybe 1000. I drive 250 miles minimum a week for work but I have a cabin 300 miles away I frequently visit. I also want to be able to pull the hot rod. If I had a vegistroke system this would easily save me some coin. Like a lot. I have the money to pay for this system I just donít want to run into any unforeseen issues when I go to install the kit. I will have enough trouble learning how to filter the fuel.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 AM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

I'd start a new thread on this.

Ensuring you have usable oil supply and filtering system is key.

I've been using a V2 since 2008 and V3 since 2012 and haven't looked back. For the amount of miles you drive, I would consider it a no brainer.

Yes, I've had my share of problems. Mostly pumps and a check valve.

There is always someone here to help.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

It is worth noting that I have access to a fixed 2000 gallons though meaning one time sale and no more coming in after that. Although I would have time to find another source while I burn that 2000 gallons. Do you think thereís guys on here who would give me filtered fuel if I kept them supplied with unfiltered stuff? At least until I got bugs worked out on the v3 install?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default denver co

Its hard to find free oil in denver, but i am not sure where you live. i can purchase oil for $1.75 per gal that has been centrifuged. the trade of dirty oil for clean oil is usually 2 to 1 now you only have 1000 gals. the hardest part is finding oil sources that can and will provide a clean steady supply at least here in denver colorado. mahoney's, brookes, darpro, darling, the large oil collection company's have the supply pretty locked down. how much does the 2000 gals cost, how much do you drive? go and talk to some restaurants or start poking around dumpster enclosures and see what you will be up against for oil sources. do you know anyone in restaurant business? for me 2000 gals would be a little bit more than a years worth of oil and then what? you buy a v4 and tank for about $3000, a centrifuge for 800-1500, a pump for filling, collection supplies, and now you have 4500 - 5500 into oil and if you can't source oil after your 2000 gals... the wvo deal does cost money. sometimes it feels like you spend a dime to save a nickel other times it feels like the cost savings offset the cost of driving an older diesel. have you had to take you diesel to the shop yet for repairs? the 6.0 cost some money to keep on the road... just trying to be truthful
Old 02-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: A Brazillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseguy View Post
the 6.0 cost some money to keep on the road... just trying to be truthful
nah, not really. If you maintain her right, shes no different than the 7.3 for reliability other than the fragile injectors.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseguy View Post
Its hard to find free oil in denver, but i am not sure where you live. i can purchase oil for $1.75 per gal that has been centrifuged. the trade of dirty oil for clean oil is usually 2 to 1 now you only have 1000 gals. the hardest part is finding oil sources that can and will provide a clean steady supply at least here in denver colorado. mahoney's, brookes, darpro, darling, the large oil collection company's have the supply pretty locked down. how much does the 2000 gals cost, how much do you drive? go and talk to some restaurants or start poking around dumpster enclosures and see what you will be up against for oil sources. do you know anyone in restaurant business? for me 2000 gals would be a little bit more than a years worth of oil and then what? you buy a v4 and tank for about $3000, a centrifuge for 800-1500, a pump for filling, collection supplies, and now you have 4500 - 5500 into oil and if you can't source oil after your 2000 gals... the wvo deal does cost money. sometimes it feels like you spend a dime to save a nickel other times it feels like the cost savings offset the cost of driving an older diesel. have you had to take you diesel to the shop yet for repairs? the 6.0 cost some money to keep on the road... just trying to be truthful
Well I didnít ask the price on just the oil. Guy quoted me 10k for 5 storage tanks 2000 gallons, brand new large fuge etc. i see your point but i should be able to find some oil during the year while using the supply I would have. I have the opportunity to purchase 450 and 2000 gallons right now. That is at least a year for me. I do know that maintaining an old diesel (especially a 6.0) is a chore but Iíd rather maintain a paid off vehicle than have a recurring payment on a new vehicle. If I end up not saving any money as opposed to driving the focus, I call that a win in my book. Bigger vehicle, handy bed, awesome ride with airbags, toolbox and everybody loves that 6.0 sound.
Oh and just FYI I bought this truck with typical 6.0 issues
150000 miles
Blown headgaskets, bad up pipe, oil cooler and egr cooler
Paid 3000 for this truck
Just under 5000 to fix all the above
1200 to put a clean southern bed on it
So Iím about 10k deep with all the misc (brakes, rotors, seals etc)
I think itís set to last for a while. Iíd like a scan gauge and an sct because the edge juice sucks. Tranny and injectors are the only things that could ruin my day. Most of the other stuff I can handle
Old 02-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: A Brazillion

Probably need to start a new thread. this is the introductions area.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 5,000
$ Estimated Saved: - $ 5,000.00
MacGyver Rating: 3
Default Hello All

Well, im here in the Yosemite National Park area , and I say that because most people know where that is... im in a little town called Oakhurst. I have a kit in my garage I cant wait to install... its with the 90 gallon tank, the V4 kit for my 2002 F 350 Powerstroke, any words of wisdom out there for the install or any operating tricks quirks or weaknesses ?
I filter all my oil through 2 micron media cloth first then run it through a redline pump with a 10 micron spin on filter.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Gettin Greasy

Have someone to help you and keep you sane through process.