BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Vegistroker

Default Funny to run across this post

Well Jason As you know I am in Iraq.
My wife melissa was having issues starting my truck! So me not being there to play with it, I asked her a few questions, with the answers I got I knew the problem right away. Glow plugs!!!!! So I told her to take it to a place that someone in syracuse recomended for diesels. What a joke! I had to tell them how to trouble shoot via email! So I had her take it to statium trucks an international repair shop. 600 dollars later the glow plugs and relay, fuel filter replaced the truck starts at 0 F.

Thanks for the info, my info was not near as deep as yours now I know alot more! I always learn from you jason. Thanks Daniel
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Vegistroker

Default Cold starting

About a weekago we had a morning with -20F. My truck had been plugged in all night, I cycled the glow plugs twice and it started up easily. I went in the house and came back out around 15 minutes later, (I wish I had an exact time, sorry). The truck had already switched over to vegoil. I turned on the cabin heat and returned to the house for several minutes (again I wish I had watched the clock). When I came back out to the truck, the cabin heat had drawn so much that the brought the indicator back to the "C" mark and the vegoil system had shut down. It switched back on in a short distance of driving.

I had never thought about it making as much difference as it appears to make, but it might be a good thing to remember for the fastest warm up to keep the cabin heat controller in the off position.

One other thing to remember, especially if you're going to cycle the glow plugs,is to turn the headlights off. I've started switching both to the off position before shutting down the engine at the end of the day.

Sam
Wyoming
Old 12-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Vegistroker

Default heater

Sam
The heater and vegi system are likes arms and legs. The heater is like bleeding from the arm or leg. Your heart tries to keep them warm or keep oxygen to them. I noticed that in upstate ny (armpit cold of america) even driving local stop and go, if it is -20 or less and heat on hi the vegi will kick off. The heater will take that heat from the coolant and bleed it off!
Heater core is just like your radiator. They have covers for the front of yoru truck like on busses or big rigs to keep the heat in and make your radiatior less effective. (wierd we want something to not work as good?)
Daniel
Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANTON View Post
The heater will take that heat from the coolant and bleed it off!Daniel
Hi Daniel,

All true, but I'd never even seen the temp drop at all while driving down the highway (at double digit sub zero), with the heater on full, and that is without a bra. While I knew the heat energy would have to come from somewhere, it always seemed my engine was producing more than enough.

What makes the differences, lack of humidity? My upgraded thermostat? Model year of the truck? Other engine modifications?

Sam
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Might i direct yall to a thread i started called "aux. Coolant Pump" Seems to be some interesting discussion here that would benifit that thread too.
Its in General Discussion as a sticky at the top.
thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Vegistroker

Default post of a post to a post wow where is this going!

Hey clay
I would agree if the system would be going out and so on but the engine temp is dropping, so the water pump must be pumping the hell out of the coolant. Doing its job!
Maybe im miss reading I dont know. Im tired! off to bed! Daniel
Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM
اتوناین

2006 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Vegistroke converted 1/27/13!!
2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold