BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > BFT QUALITY CONTROL > BFT T.S.B (Technical Service Bulletin)

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 80000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I think the ball bearing is actually more intended as a rollover valve instead of to prevent sloshing (though it may help do that too). I think in order to meet DOT approval, all fuel tanks are required to prevent the fuel from draining out in the event of a rollover.

Mark
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 126,000
$ Estimated Saved: ??
MacGyver Rating: 5

I gutted mine

Cleaned it twice it's just a PITA to do it.

Next time it comes of I'm going the plastic route like AzDave metioned.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 17,776
$ Estimated Saved: $4863
MacGyver Rating: 7.77

i think these get nasty because you fill the tank too high...then when it heats up, it expands and flows out that valve....this happens to me too much...cleaning mine today...ill get pics if it is nasty
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeceMonkey View Post
i think these get nasty because you fill the tank too high...then when it heats up, it expands and flows out that valve....this happens to me too much...cleaning mine today...ill get pics if it is nasty
Even if you dont fill your tank to the top you will get sloshing that will make the oil hit the vent. Its not something you can completely avoid unless you never fill you tank more than 1/2 or so.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Even if you dont fill your tank to the top you will get sloshing that will make the oil hit the vent. Its not something you can completely avoid unless you never fill you tank more than 1/2 or so.
well...i didn't do it that day...

instead i put it off...then driving to indiana for christmas my light started flashing...i had just changed the filter...i had a full tank...i forgot my toolbox at home...bought a check set of pliers...pulled the vent...it was completely clogged up...removed the valve completely...stuck the hose in the hole temporarily so i could finish the 8 hour drive...duct tape around it...worked perfectly...valve is clean and no more issues!

it is definitely the sloshing, but i have an awful habit of trying to fill my tank to the very top...i typically overflow my tank and make a mess...also once it heats up, there is typically oil dripping through the hose and out the bottom...a mess! new years resolution, stop filling up 2" from the top...prevent spills...hopefully not have to clean that as often...

mine took 14 months to clog
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

I also removed the ball from the vent fitting.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I also removed the ball from the vent fitting.
i thought about doing that...i left it for this time, but if it clogs up again this quickly i will probably remove it...i see it's purpose, but if i ever roll my truck i probably have bigger things to worry about

i didn't even realize that it separated that easily...i just soaked the entire thing in some grease cleaner for 24 hours...rinses with d2, it was like new