BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 160,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 6
Default V3 pump bolts

3 of the 4 ss Allen bolts for my pump are stuck. The rust belt of the north east has made a mess down there and when I used The Allen socket to break it loose it just rounded the center. I even Tried pounding a larger size with no luck. My question is what is the best easyout tool to use? Itís pretty tight in there and Iím thinking I may Need to drop the V3 which will probably create itís own set of problems (mounting bolts and bushings probably seized). Any ideas appreciated.
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default Fass or scorpion

If itís a Fass with the long Allen bolts then you cut the long bolts and remove the plate that is over the pump and then use vise grips to remove the rest of the Allen bolt from the v3. Again if it is a fass pump it is the Allen bolt heads that are stuck. If itís a scorpion pump I would think some pb blaster and heat. My fass pump had the same problem
Old 03-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: A Brazillion

FASS bolts arent SS so I'm assuming your talking a scorpion pump.
WD-40 is actually better at cutting corrosion than PB blaster.
Good luck, your going to need it.
(use anti seize on reinstall)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Yes. Short ss Allen bolts recessed in the pump head plate. Iím going to have to drill them out with a 1/4Ē drill until the heads come off. That should leave me with enough threads to grab with vise grips when the pump is removed. I hope A right angle drill is enough to get to the tight space.
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman View Post
Yes. Short ss Allen bolts recessed in the pump head plate. Iím going to have to drill them out with a 1/4Ē drill until the heads come off. That should leave me with enough threads to grab with vise grips when the pump is removed. I hope A right angle drill is enough to get to the tight space.
Do you HAVE to take it our right now? Mine were on there for almost 10 years and they broke lose with a 1/4 rachet but I was expecting the worst. I did it on an 85 degree day.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 PM

With a right angle drill and a 1/4Ē bit I was Able to drill through the heads of the Allen bolts to the threads. From there the pump came off and left me with plenty of threads to grab with vise grips....... similar to the fass tower bolts but shorter. Anyone that lives in the rust belt may be subject to the same.