BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 115,000+
MacGyver Rating: 5+
Default Time for a new/another 7.3?

Iím thinking about finding another source of veg and buying another 7.3. Crew cab 4x4 probably with a short box but a 8íbed would be ok with the right truck. The plan was to buy a fuel efficaint car but after 2 years of my wife being the primary driver of the Excursion, she has adapted to the beast and doesnít mind driving such a big rig anymore. If I can get enough oil to feed two 7.3ís, why not? Right? Iíve been looking at some 2003ís from the south and if purchased would have it rust proofed/undercoated right away. Do we need two big trucks? No. But if there is minimal fuel costs, and we all know the reliability/longevity is of little concern, why not? What do yíall think about this idea? The cars Iíve been looking at are either a Honda CRV or a 2003 TDI 5 speed wagon (super hard to find).
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Gettin Greasy

It will be better in the long run to have 2 - 7.3’s running on veg. We have 3 boys between 2-9 and my f350 crew cab long bed is perfect for them now for personal space. I plan on getting a 7.3 excursion within the next 18 months for the wife and then she can have her honda accord thats just for her. Hopefully i can find an already converted excursion. Im getting about 100 gallons a month of oil now and we use it fast.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 115,000+
MacGyver Rating: 5+

I like the idea of a crew cab truck and an Excursion. My first order of business is to find another oil source. I'm a little worried this could be the challenge that may sink the whole idea of two 7.3's. It's been years since I've had to search for oil and there is a newer service in the area that seems to have bins everywhere. If I can't find another source, I may look at getting rid of the Excursion and finding a nice southern crew cab. For now, I need to find the oil.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Frozen Chosen

Miles on Grease: 200,000
$ Estimated Saved: Lots
MacGyver Rating: 6.27

The only reason to drive a car or tiny truck is fuel efficiency or small/tight roads and garages. We beat the fuel efficiency out the door, provided you drive far enough for the veg to kick in (it can take 10 miles or more up here...cold). Hard to beat the safe feeling of driving a 7.3!

One, unforeseen, problem we recently had is when both trucks aren't green and you are committed to picking up a restaurant s veg oil. I'm running out of places to store it. Thank God bear hunting season is right around the corner. It makes great bait. I sell dirty veg for about $1 a cube.

Last edited by AKJerry; 03-19-2018 at 06:43 PM.