BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > EMERGENCY FORUM

Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Yeah, that's what I thought... 10psi is not very forgiving. With our PSD's we have a 20psi delta between VO pressure and D2 pressure. This means we can stand a lot of restriction from filters, cold oil etc before the 'light starts flashing'.

For heat, I would consider TIH from the tank to V4 and also on the VO return to tank. A 3-port valve at the tank that allows you to choose return into tank or 'looped' into the supply line. In my conversions, I find this looped return in TIH produces more than adequate heat and it puts this heat BEFORE the pump and filters where we need it. The 6bt is a cold-natured beast - more so than the PSD's - and does not have the advantage of fuel rails inside the heads. It also returns all the fuel warmed by the anemic HOH and heated V4 block back to the tank. I'd be surprised if your VO ever breaks 100*F in cold weather - that ain't gonna go thru your filter fast enough to feed your thirsty engine. Especially since you are pumping many times the fuel the engine is burning back to the tank most of the time. Combine that with trying to heat 60+ gals in the tank while sucking the coldest oil off the bottom of the tank and its amazing your system works at all!! Maybe consider adding a Hot Fox as well?

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo View Post
I run my Cummins a little closer to 20 psi. than you mentioned.
Does it work alright in the summer?
Obviously if so, it is a temperature issue. Check the temp. switch. I had that problem once. Also made a big difference to cover the grill, try a higher T-stat.
This may sound ridiculous, but check your coolant. Wouldn't be the first time I travelled with not enough coolant.
I actually have a coolant leak at the 2" long rubber hose under the turbo. It is low, didn't think too much about that. I drove it around today and no issues again. I think the load of the trailer pushed it over. I still have not fixed my temp switch issue since May. I was getting to temp and it was dropping back off. I changed the temp switch but still nothing. I was told here by a couple people to install the bosch coolant auxiliary pump to get the coolant flowing back there. I guess as the stock pump ages it doesn't flow as well. I put a new AC compressor in it today, old one was about to lock up and grenade. It's due for some work as I'm about to hit 90k. I think I will just tackle all of this at one time and get it done.
Thanks for all the input guys.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 AM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyskijason View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought... 10psi is not very forgiving. With our PSD's we have a 20psi delta between VO pressure and D2 pressure. This means we can stand a lot of restriction from filters, cold oil etc before the 'light starts flashing'.

For heat, I would consider TIH from the tank to V4 and also on the VO return to tank. A 3-port valve at the tank that allows you to choose return into tank or 'looped' into the supply line. In my conversions, I find this looped return in TIH produces more than adequate heat and it puts this heat BEFORE the pump and filters where we need it. The 6bt is a cold-natured beast - more so than the PSD's - and does not have the advantage of fuel rails inside the heads. It also returns all the fuel warmed by the anemic HOH and heated V4 block back to the tank. I'd be surprised if your VO ever breaks 100*F in cold weather - that ain't gonna go thru your filter fast enough to feed your thirsty engine. Especially since you are pumping many times the fuel the engine is burning back to the tank most of the time. Combine that with trying to heat 60+ gals in the tank while sucking the coldest oil off the bottom of the tank and its amazing your system works at all!! Maybe consider adding a Hot Fox as well?
Just saw this post. I have never had an issue with the temp. This was happening between 45 degree and even 75 degree weather. It has ran fine down into the teens. Diablo sparked my memory with the low coolant suggestion. I know I'm low. Maybe my oil isn't hot enough as you suggest, but due to the low coolant. We shall see soon!
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 PM
VegiRammer

First, can I get one of you mods to move this to the general discussion now that I'm not on the road trip? Don't want to tie up the emergency threads. Thanks.

So I pulled the pressure switch, pressure regulator, purge valve, and check valve. I took them apart and cleaned them thoroughly with a strong parts cleaner and compressed air. The check valve was a little sticky and is now free, and the pressure switch had some poly build up. All clean and good right? I put a gauge at the manifold in place of the Schrader valve. Drove the truck, switched it on at temp, and it just cycles every 5-10 seconds between ON and LOW PRESSURE. Crawled underneath and during the LOW PRESSURE on the SSB I have 10 psi (D2), when the system switches to ON I have 0 psi. I even cranked the regulator up and the gauge didn't budge. Yesterday I was getting intermittent low pressure, I threw a tire gauge on the Schrader and I was bumped up to 85 psi! Brought it down to 20 and the truck drove fine to and from dinner, then when I started again to leave my mom's to head home it was low pressure on and off again. I pulled over and bumped up the regulator and no change. WTF is going on!!!??? Last bit, I swear I can hear the pressure push through the filter when it switches on. I can't imagine the pump is gone. Is my pressure switch toast?

Last edited by All American; 11-25-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 100,000
MacGyver Rating: 7

Sounds like a PS to me.
Greasin' since 2007
Old 11-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Hmm, This doesnt sound typical of a PS to me. With that amount of poly on stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if you have a blockage internally in the manifold.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:53 PM
VegiRammer

I blew out the manifold from the inlet of the oil with the prescreen out. Not through the ports for the switches etc though. I'll try that as well as checking and blowing out the vent just for good measure.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Also check for an air leak pre manifold. Sucking in some air would do this also. You wont see the leak though since its under vacuum.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:51 AM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Also check for an air leak pre manifold. Sucking in some air would do this also. You wont see the leak though since its under vacuum.
Good tip. I'll look for that as well.