BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 12:51 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 257,000
MacGyver Rating: 5+
Default Oil consumption at 315,000 or ???

I installed new glow plugs today. The passenger side was a nightmare. Amongst other challenges, I had extreme difficulties navigating the valve cover out of the engine bay. I unscrewed the AC motor/clutch in hopes it would give me more room to maneuver. Now I am a little concerned that when I pulled the clutch/motor forward, I also accidentally pulled the motor oil dip stick tube out of the oil pan a bit. After the new glow plugs were in place and the valve cover back on and a successful firing of the truck, I checked the motor oil level. It was about halfway down from the top of the full line. My first though was ďshit!, I must have pulled the dipstick tube up from its normal seatĒ, then I thought, maybe the old girl burns some oil? Itís been about 3,300 miles since the last oil change. I added 1 quart and it brought the level to about 1/4 of where it should be. So as it stands, if the stick is in the proper place, I am about 1/2 a quart shy of the full mark on the stick. Am I burning 1.5 quarts of oil in 3,300 miles or did I accidentally move the oil tube out of place? Is there any way to tell other then draining the oil? For the past few years, every 5k, I bring oil and a filter to a local place that changes it for me for $20. This has been handy but has kept me from keeping an eye on things. I felt around the area where the dip stick tube enters the oil pan and it feels like there is a rubber type of gasket. I tried shoving the tube further into the pan but was unsuccessful. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 AM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseguy View Post
not sure you can install dip stick tube incorrectly. best thing would be to monitor trucks oil consumption by checking oil regularly. my guess would be truck uses some oil. cheap oil changes also may not fill to full and maybe only to middle of normal range. also watch for leaks from dipstick tube gasket. lots of variables with oil level not sure $20 oil change would work out with 15 quarts/$1.33 a quart of oil, ask them where they get their oil from?
I probably described the situation wrong. I bring them 4 gallons of rotella and a filter. If there is someone new, I explain that it takes 15 quarts and they need t fill the filter first. They change the filter and oil as well as fill the tires, grease the joints and check the fluids etc. I used to do this myself but it seems the $20 is worth not having to deal with the hassle.
What would be causing the oil cunsumption? Iím sure there is a long list of pontentials. I noticed a fair amount of oil on the underbelly but I donít get any drops while she is parked.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:32 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 85,000
$ Estimated Saved: almost enough for repairs
MacGyver Rating: 3.8
Default dip stick

not sure you can install dip stick tube incorrectly. best thing would be to monitor trucks oil consumption by checking oil regularly. my guess would be truck uses some oil. cheap oil changes also may not fill to full and maybe only to middle of normal range. also watch for leaks from dipstick tube gasket. lots of variables with oil level not sure $20 oil change would work out with 15 quarts/$1.33 a quart of oil, ask them where they get their oil from?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Gettin Greasy

I have the same issue and Ill tell you the oil is probably in your CAC piping. That seems to be were mine is at and it may or may not be an old air filter.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Gettin Greasy

So is being 1.5 quarts of oil low every 3000miles not to out of the ordinary? Is it possible to pull the dip stick tube up an inch or so? I did not fill the oil to the fill line because I believe it is better to be low then high. Is that the correct assumption? Thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Default 315,000 miles

Oil consumption happens. Beter in my opinion to have oil in range vs over full. I donít think you can pull tube out an inch. You could try to push dipstick tube back in but doubt it will move. Oil is probably low. I would guess that at $20 an oil change it wasnít ever to full mark. But thatís a guess but without checking it regularly you donít really know. If you add new oil due to consumption you can lengthen the interval of oil changes according to people the semi people I deal with. We had a cat c15 rebuilt due to 20,000 or 25,000 hours equivalent to 1 million miles Truck idles a lot running vacuum pump. Truck consumes oil and we usually add a gallon or two to bring oil to full. C15 takes 15 gals per oil change and they change oil like 30,000 to 40,000 miles or certain number of hours.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Oil consumption happens. Beter in my opinion to have oil in range vs over full. I donít think you can pull tube out an inch. You could try to push dipstick tube back in but doubt it will move. Oil is probably low. I would guess that at $20 an oil change it wasnít ever to full mark. But thatís a guess but without checking it regularly you donít really know. If you add new oil due to consumption you can lengthen the interval of oil changes according to people the semi people I deal with. We had a cat c15 rebuilt due to 20,000 or 25,000 hours equivalent to 1 million miles Truck idles a lot running vacuum pump. Truck consumes oil and we usually add a gallon or two to bring oil to full. C15 takes 15 gals per oil change and they change oil like 30,000 to 40,000 miles or certain number of hours.
Thanks. Again though, I bring them the oil/filter and they always send me home with one quart. That means they are putting 15 quarts in. They also show me the dipstick level and it's always at the full line. I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on the oil level between changes. Thanks again for the insight. Really glad I didn't mess up the tube.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Default Oil consumption

I definitely missed the part about you bringing them oil. So you do know where oil level is after change. You could be blowing oil out your turbo or your oil cooler. Any heavy smoke on cold start ?
Old 11-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
I definitely missed the part about you bringing them oil. So you do know where oil level is after change. You could be blowing oil out your turbo or your oil cooler. Any heavy smoke on cold start ?
Nope. No smoke at start up. There was some before I changed the glow plugs on cold starts but thatís not an issue anymore. The oil cooler got new rings and gasket a few months ago so that should be good. How could I tell if itís the turbo? Thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Default Oil in the inter cooler

Lots of oil in intercooler tubes I think. You could also just be burning a little